Nugget Shooter Forums

How is it

Allen in MT

Are the GPS systems getting any better or closer to the mark. I don't need all the street maps in one, most I see come with alot of unwanted garbage loaded on them, just lookng for something small, loadable, lots of memory, fine screen pixels and closest to the point.

Allen

Hello,

My Garmin will get within 10 feet of a target when it has Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS)turned on. I always have it on as it greatly improves the accuracy of the GPS. I have not seen a unit yet that not has a lot of extras loaded on.

Allen,

I have a Garmin and a Lowrance handheld gps. The Garmin has much better map detail but is not very user friendly. The graphics and map detail on the Lowrance leave much to be desired but it is very easy to use and is waterproof/floats. Both are accurate to within a few feet. The Lowrance also came with a number of topo map c.d.s (the entire U.S.)that can be down loaded to a memory card(s) and then used in the unit. These cards/maps can be added to or personalized and then stored for later use. I have some cards that are fishing spots, some for hunting, MDing, etc. all that I made myself using the software that came with the unit. I use the Lowrance much more than the Garmin. Nothing against Garmin mind you. I've owned a number of Garmin units over the years. The Lowrance is just easier to use. Hope this helps some.

Dean

• 3 weeks later...

Allen,

I have had a number of different GPS's of different brands and models. My current one is a Garmin GPS60c. My next one is going to be a Delorme PN series. Accuracy is limited to 3 meters by military restrictions on any GPS. The Garmin Etrex is a very simple unit if simplicity is what you are looking for. The reason I like the Delorme PN series is that you can draw lines (like a mining claim) on with the mapping software (that comes with it)and upload it to the GPS unit and view it on the screen along with your location. They are also very reasonable in pricing.

Hope this is of some help.

George