Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold is where you find it

wjbell

I'm really beginning to hate that saying!

I'm looking at gold maps, reading every article I can find on the net, talk to some old timers... Today I went to where an intervolcanic channel crosses the present day American river and spent the day searching there. (a little north of the Foresthill bridge before the N fork curves to the east if anyone knows the area)

I'm afraid to add up my fuel and equipment costs since I started looking for gold in late summer. I've got a sample bottle with about enough gold to almost buy a cheeseburger.

I'm beginning to think I couldn't find gold if you lit it on fire and shoved it up my a$$! :hmmmmm:

If you wanna go sluicing sometime I could probably help you find enough for a few cheeseburgers for a days work. Its not much but better than what you've been getting it seems lol.

Thanks Wes and Sean.. There's also the Sacramento detecting buffs club. I could check them out too. I really need to get together with some people who know where to look. As it is now I'm like a dog chasing it's tail, I'm getting nowhere and spending a lot of time and energy doing it.

I went to the sacramento detecting buffs club and felt out of place because they are mostly a coinshooting club. There are a few prospectors in the club. Now I am with a club here in Concord called the east bay GPAA and everybody is looking for the gold. I've met numerous members of the mother lode gold hounds at that spot i told you about. They are a great bunch and I've never made a meeting yet. Always meant to join the goldhounds, not too far from sacramento. :twocents:

I went to the sacramento detecting buffs club and felt out of place because they are mostly a coinshooting club. There are a few prospectors in the club. Now I am with a club here in Concord called the east bay GPAA and everybody is looking for the gold. I've met numerous members of the mother lode gold hounds at that spot i told you about. They are a great bunch and I've never made a meeting yet. Always meant to join the goldhounds, not too far from sacramento. :twocents:

One guy I know (well, know from youtube) is a guy that I think is from the East Bay GPAA club. I think his name is Fred and he goes by scorpiotoyou on youtube. Seems like a really cool guy and have talked with him about places around Sac. Another guy goes by hurthawks on youtube that part of that group. I've talked with him through YT messages too. I've seen a couple videos he filmed at EB GPAA trips. Seems like a cool bunch.

Goldhounds by far. Lotza locals with claims, club claims, outings, demo ,lectures,plenty of retired folks to assist and ready to go play at a moments notice. NON PROFIT not into your pocket everytime ya turn around. tons a au 2 u 2 -John :thumbsupanim

</i>

May I make a simple suggestion, do some research on where gold has been found in the "past"!

Gary

Uh, I thought I said in my original post that's exactly what I have been doing. Maybe read it again. Thanks for the suggestion.

OK, here is a drop dead always find gold in your pan spot...... There is a Home Depot just of the north end of Sunrise Blvd. Behind the store is a small creek you can "hands and pan" only. Another sure bet spot is along the Bear River out of Colfax near the campground. You can set a sluice there nad if you sample right, you will acumulate soem gold. Both spots are fine gold so don't expect nuggets.

The Goldhounds is a great club. Don Robinson, the founder is an amazing man who has been unshelfishly giving to the mining community for a very very long time. Just Google Motherlode Goldhounds

OK, here is a drop dead always find gold in your pan spot...... There is a Home Depot just of the north end of Sunrise Blvd. Behind the store is a small creek you can "hands and pan" only. Another sure bet spot is along the Bear River out of Colfax near the campground. You can set a sluice there nad if you sample right, you will acumulate soem gold. Both spots are fine gold so don't expect nuggets.

The Goldhounds is a great club. Don Robinson, the founder is an amazing man who has been unshelfishly giving to the mining community for a very very long time. Just Google Motherlode Goldhounds

Thanks I might try the creek. Can you detect where there are hands and pans only? I don't see why not as long as you dig with your pan.

I've been to the bear river campground and day use are a couple times. That place is pretty worked over but I guess there's always spots that haven't been checked.

Thanks I might try the creek. Can you detect where there are hands and pans only? I don't see why not as long as you dig with your pan.

I've been to the bear river campground and day use are a couple times. That place is pretty worked over but I guess there's always spots that haven't been checked.

The gold there is very very small..not the detecting variety. The Bear River spot is best just after the spring runoff....

Just curious, what kind of results are you expecting each time you go out? What kind of find would you consider to be a good day?

For the most part, around this area, places that will give you a lot of gold are either remote and difficult to access or private property. It takes a lot of research, field exploration, sampling, and most importantly time to learn what you're doing. Metal detecting is by far the hardest of all techniques to produce gold. Best thing to do is stay positive, stick with it, and enjoy the adventure.

P.S. Goldhound meetings are held on the 2nd Friday of every month at the Veterans Hall, 100 East St. in Auburn. 7pm. You don't have to be a member to go to the meetings so check it out.

Just curious, what kind of results are you expecting each time you go out? What kind of find would you consider to be a good day?

For the most part, around this area, places that will give you a lot of gold are either remote and difficult to access or private property. It takes a lot of research, field exploration, sampling, and most importantly time to learn what you're doing. Metal detecting is by far the hardest of all techniques to produce gold. Best thing to do is stay positive, stick with it, and enjoy the adventure.

P.S. Goldhound meetings are held on the 2nd Friday of every month at the Veterans Hall, 100 East St. in Auburn. 7pm. You don't have to be a member to go to the meetings so check it out.

Well when I first started looking for gold it was late in gold "season". I started out with a sluice. After a few trips of digging 10-15 buckets a day and coming up with a few flakes I started to think there's got to be something better. I've talked with a couple different guys at the bear river and they showed me their take for the day and it was pretty impressive, maybe a few grams or 1/4 ounce. But they were in the river with wetsuits sniping bedrock. I've tried that too but I think you need to get there early spring to get the good stuff.

It's fun going out and being out in the outdoors and all but it would be nice to find enough per trip that would pay for the trip if I was to sell it. I don't expect to find that 5 oz nugget that has been sitting there for years overlooked but at the same time I don't want to rule that out. :grin: The reason I got a detector is I want to find bigger stuff. To me unless I'm getting a large amount of flakes, it's not worth it to dig all day. So say I went out every saturday, I would consider it a good month if I could find close to an oz. Is that unreasonable or wishful thinking?

Well when I first started looking for gold it was late in gold "season". I started out with a sluice. After a few trips of digging 10-15 buckets a day and coming up with a few flakes I started to think there's got to be something better. I've talked with a couple different guys at the bear river and they showed me their take for the day and it was pretty impressive, maybe a few grams or 1/4 ounce. But they were in the river with wetsuits sniping bedrock. I've tried that too but I think you need to get there early spring to get the good stuff.

It's fun going out and being out in the outdoors and all but it would be nice to find enough per trip that would pay for the trip if I was to sell it. I don't expect to find that 5 oz nugget that has been sitting there for years overlooked but at the same time I don't want to rule that out. :grin: The reason I got a detector is I want to find bigger stuff. To me unless I'm getting a large amount of flakes, it's not worth it to dig all day. So say I went out every saturday, I would consider it a good month if I could find close to an oz. Is that unreasonable or wishful thinking?

I dont think its unreasonable for Prospecting in general, but perhaps for the way you are Prospecting. I go out every Saturday and drywash (rain willing) and I do find very close to an ounce a month. But its hard work. Sometimes its better sometimes its worse, but I always

find some. If it where easy, Gold would be worth a lot less dontcha think?

I dont think its unreasonable for Prospecting in general, but perhaps for the way you are Prospecting.

How can I improve my prospecting?

It is best to not have any expectations at all. I have had seasons with almost no gold for my effort, and seasons with many pounds put in the safe. My first year of panning, I only filled a 1 oz vial 1/2 full. I thought I was in heaven, I could find my own gold... the amount did not matter. Then I rapidly moved to a sluice, 2 1/2" dredge, 4" dredge, then 5" dredge... this is the stage where I started to get gold by the pound and figured it was time to have a full time go at it. Got up to 6" and was happy there, then slowly went smaller and smaller..... Been the full circle and I am sure many here on this forum have.

If you are looking to recoup all of your time & investment vs. just doing it for the fun, that is going to be counterproductive. You should really not set expectations other than climbing up that steep learning curve for now!

As long as you have not purchased a dredge (here in CA anyway) most anything you buy to get gold with will always have value if you decide to quit.

Going out into mother nature and finding some gold is certainly much cheaper to do then filling the tank of a ski boat only to turn that green onto smoke...........Any hobby will cost you money, not many have the chance of getting any financial return for the money spent.

The best advice that I can give is go where others are to lazy to go and sample a lot. If you can drive right to the river chances are its not gonna yield anything more than some flakes. Detecting is no different. If access is easy and people know about it, then the spot has probably been picked over first by VLF's and then with the Minelabs.

I like detecting and I'm determined to find a nugget with mine, but my other passion is sniping and I've had, and probably will continue to have, better yields that way. If you have a VLF you need a fresh patch that hasn't been touched with a Minelab, because you just can't compete with those machines.

Thanks for the words of wisdom, guys. El Durado, Sean C, HighPlains and everyone. You're absolutely right. Consider it recreation first... worry about getting gold second. Guess I got a case of beginners frustration...

But as far as finding places people seldom go to, I'm always trying to find remote places with potential. Anyone have any word on Green Valley? Been doing a little reading about that. The only thing that bothers me about that place is the trail down has about a 2000 ft elevation change in a little over 2 miles down... :unsure:

One guy I know (well, know from youtube) is a guy that I think is from the East Bay GPAA club. I think his name is Fred and he goes by scorpiotoyou on youtube. Seems like a really cool guy and have talked with him about places around Sac. Another guy goes by hurthawks on youtube that part of that group. I've talked with him through YT messages too. I've seen a couple videos he filmed at EB GPAA trips. Seems like a cool bunch.

Here is a link to the The East Bay Gold Propsectors website/forum,...

http://eastbaygpaa.webs.com/

Skip

Thanks for the words of wisdom, guys. El Durado, Sean C, HighPlains and everyone. You're absolutely right. Consider it recreation first... worry about getting gold second. Guess I got a case of beginners frustration...

But as far as finding places people seldom go to, I'm always trying to find remote places with potential. Anyone have any word on Green Valley? Been doing a little reading about that. The only thing that bothers me about that place is the trail down has about a 2000 ft elevation change in a little over 2 miles down... :unsure:

The harder a place is to access the better your chances of finding good gold, if you are not prepared mentally, with the right equipment and experience to navigate "about a 2000 ft elevation change in a little over 2 miles down" I would suggest you not try it, but that is why these places may have better gold, because not everyone can face the challenge of getting there and be safe while doing so!!

Skip

Buy the Dec edition of the ICMJ as it has a great article on the club and good ol' nasty shirttail creek on the NF american. For MY money I'd go to the SF Yuba between Purdone and Nelson crossing where the ancient river of gold crosses the river(yuba goldfields) and party on BUT lotza hippie freak thieves and naked folks so lock up good--tons a au 2 u 2 -john

Where John suggested you try on the Yuba.... My first year of full time dredging was in that area and I MINED many pounds of AU. It is an extremely good area.

Another great thing about the Goldhounds is their field trips to good PUBLIC areas. Most everyone gets gold on those trips, plus you will then have learned the spot to go on your own. Some are easy hikes and some are brutal......

Buy the Dec edition of the ICMJ as it has a great article on the club and good ol' nasty shirttail creek on the NF american. For MY money I'd go to the SF Yuba between Purdone and Nelson crossing where the ancient river of gold crosses the river(yuba goldfields) and party on BUT lotza hippie freak thieves and naked folks so lock up good--tons a au 2 u 2 -john

I think I found where you are taking about on the S yuba, but I couldn't find nelson crossing.

S Yuba map

My gold map shows an ancient river that crosses just south of purdon rd. Is the place you're taking about up or down stream from there?

Another thing is I thought all those paces were claimed up there. I called the S yuba rangers and they said the only places that they could tell me for sure were public access where the three main crossings starting at bridgeport a couple hundred feet on either side of the bridge and it's hands and pan only.

And what's nasty about shirttail creek? I've been to the end of it on the NF american.

Where John suggested you try on the Yuba.... My first year of full time dredging was in that area and I MINED many pounds of AU. It is an extremely good area.

Another great thing about the Goldhounds is their field trips to good PUBLIC areas. Most everyone gets gold on those trips, plus you will then have learned the spot to go on your own. Some are easy hikes and some are brutal......

Yeah, I'll probably sign up with them. Get some knowledge, go with other people, etc.