Nugget Shooter Forums
Allen in MT

What do you use

How many of you have downloaded Google Earth and what do you think of it, or what do you like better??

Allen in MT/AZ

Hey Allen, I downloaded it and use it a lot! I use a couple of different overlay software progams for minerals, gold claims and so forth - pretty neat! - Terry

Hey Allen...like Terry I've been using it for years...before

going into strange territory I get GPS fixes for some good

waypoints to get me where I want to go....

Guest bedrock bob

I dont know anythng about "Google Earth" but I do use a mapping program. National Geographic. It has it's limitations but there are four different layers of maps with the USGS topos at the bottom layer. It is great for driving, flying, and walking, and interfaces nicely with a GPS.

You can create, print, expand, shrink, and mark up your maps with symbols and such. ou can even trace your route with a GPS and it will "fly" you down your path on a 3-d topo map. If I take photos along the trail I can attach them to the spot on the map and as I "fly" the trail on the computer I can also see the photos and write notes. You can trace a route and develop a profile so you know where the steep spots are adn if your proposed incline is do-able without technical gear. It is neat to see your elevation in cross section...it adds dimension and reality to an otherwise flat map projection.

...Still dont take the place of a map and compass, but it is good for what it is good for!

I use Google Earth in combination with the topo provided on geocommunicator. I like to "bookmark" spots of interest in google earth for later reference.

I use google earth, take a screen shot, bring it into photoshop, and make layers with info from geocommunicator, etc. I can make those layers visible, or invisible. Sometimes I even throw in a geologic map overlay in one layer. The trickiest part is resizing an overlay to the correct size. I can also adjust the opacity on layers. That way I can have an overlying geologic map at 50% opacity so I can get a rough idea of where boundaries lie while still looking at underlying terrain.

I use it and here is a link to another that I like and its free and fast. http://mapper.acme.com/

and you can do lots with it.

Max

Thanks for the replies. I have a mapping system from iGage and would like to get into it more with the computer and a GPS

Allen

OK guys, here is the answer to all of the stuff. Google Earth is absolutly top notch as a research tool. So amazing it is free. Map and compass is a basic necessity, but is is like trying to communicate via Morse code in a world of modern mini computers (smart phones, GPS, etc). How about if you could easily overlay all the LR2000 info over Google Earth and display it with a mouse click? Those using a map and compass need not look, might be a bit to modern for your comprehension!

A very smart gentleman from another forum developed such an add on for Google Earth, you must be a member to download it, but is is a great forum......... LINK TO THE LINK

OK guys, here is the answer to all of the stuff. Google Earth is absolutly top notch as a research tool. So amazing it is free. Map and compass is a basic necessity, but is is like trying to communicate via Morse code in a world of modern mini computers (smart phones, GPS, etc). How about if you could easily overlay all the LR2000 info over Google Earth and display it with a mouse click? Those using a map and compass need not look, might be a bit to modern for your comprehension!

A very smart gentleman from another forum developed such an add on for Google Earth, you must be a member to download it, but is is a great forum......... LINK TO THE LINK

Eldo sure is right...Google Earth works great for me. It takes up a bit of space and you better be on Broadband, so it runs smoothly, but I use it all the time. :thumbsupanim

Google Earth gets me the Lat/Long.

LR2000 tells me if it's open.

My Decrepit Magellan will get me there. Driving or on foot.

Google earth overlays will keep you busy for sure.

How many of you have downloaded Google Earth and what do you think of it, or what do you like better??

Allen in MT/AZ

Allen, I use it all the time. I like it. Doug

I use Google Earth all the time, and I also have to add-on that Eldorado spoke about from the other forum, it's a great tool, it incorporates overlays and topos from the USGS, BLM and LR 2000, it shows claims, sections, townships, etc..

The add-on that is in the picture that Wes posted is an add-on form the USGS, and show all mines new and old that the USGS has in their system, I find it also very useful, you can toggle the mines off and on by state, and by mineral mined, a word of warning is that in the western state all of the mines will obscure everything on the map by the sear number of mines, I usually only toggle on the gold and silver mines for this reason.

Skip

That is true AU Seeker, but once you zoom in then the picture is fine.Until you do though, it's all mines.

Allen I love Google earth for a bit different reason than these guys. I do use the overlays for research and such but what I like is the detail and ease of navigation. Example, Recently a club added a claim and I was able to zoom in on it with Google earth and tell that one of the washes was pretty deep and had a lot of red material in it. Wow how cool is that. Also I can use it do decide where the gut of a stream might be or look for old tailing piles. It doesn't overwork your computer when your using it, it doesn't bother your computer at all when your not (unless your low on storage space) and it's free. Plus its fun to punch in your address and look at your house. I have no possible idea why anyone would say not to download it. It doesn't have to be your main research tool it's just a harmless program you have on your computer when you want it.

from the other forum

Skip

Thats funny :hahaha: ..."the "OTHER" forum" WTF???

Allen, Google earth is great. I use iGage Topo at home (which is great because it uses the actual 7-1/2 minute topo`s)

Thats funny :hahaha: ..."the "OTHER" forum" WTF???

Adam,

I guess you missed this post, and the link...

Quote:Eldorado " A very smart gentleman from another forum developed such an add on for Google Earth, you must be a member to download it, but is is a great forum......... LINK TO THE LINK "

Skip

Allen, I have and sometimes use Google Earth. I rely more heavily on other sources (Geocommunicator, LR2000 etc). As to what I think of Google Earth, it is useful but can be visually deceptive.

I grew up with old school paper maps > 7.5 and 15 degree topos. Using my iMac I have downloaded and put all the 7.5 deg USGS maps for CA (where I visit) on discs and for AZ (where I live) I have them on discs and in a db which I created and which allows me to navigate with a click to the adjacent maps from any quadrant. I've got one lifetime to live the way I choose so I made the time to download thousands of free maps and make the db. That's done. Now I take blown-up screen shots of limited areas of the USGS maps and using Photoshop I enter the claims lines and other useful data which I will need in the field. These I print and take with me. Extra copies come along for mark-up as part of my approach to Prospecting 101, which Ol' 29er so kindly posted on this forum some time ago. I use my GPS for coordinates (the map display went out 6 months ago and I didn't find it useful enough to fix). I also use the Photoshop layer on Geocommunicator screenshots, which I also print and take.

I do not bother to screenshoot, alter or print Google.

Allen,

Google earth is by far one of the best tools out there, and its free. I use it to find old workings, as once you've IDed a few known places, you can compare them with new areas your searching. Old shafts. tailing piles, and even drywasher digs are very visible, not to mention heavy mineralization. You can also link it to your garmin while in the field (with google in cache memory) and track your position realtime on your laptop. That will blow any map/compass out of the water at midnight, in the desert, 15 miles up a wash, with no real visible landmarks, or the time and patients to pull out the old faithful M&C. I back it up with NatGeo Explorer, as well as Garmin Topo. If I'm going into a new area, I can MGRS grid and print a few paper copies for quick reference vice booting up the laptop. There are five problems I know of with GPS's. The Russians shoot down all our Sats, the USAF locks us out, extremely heavy weather and snow storms (your screwed) and dead batteries or system failure. The first two are highly unlikely, and the last three are totally avoidable. I run a Garmin Map 276c in the rig, and have a Garmin Vista and spare batts as back up. As for for shitty weather, plan accordingly.

Good luck,

A/F