Nugget Shooter Forums
desertdrone

Whites Detectors

Hi all

i currently belong to the southern ca prospectors club just really started getting into the nugget hunting part.

i currently been using a bounty hunter lone star detector , mostly been finding coins.

currently been looking at a few used whites detectors to upgrade right now can't spend over 300.

for nugget i was wondering if any of these would be good for nugget hunting ?

i'm also into meteorite hunting so would also use one for that i know alot of people use the whites gmt, for that but a little out my range at the moment

here are the current ones i'm looking at

Whites idx pro

whites 5900/di pro sl

whites eagle spectrum with bigfoot search coil

thanks all

phillip

The 5900 would be the only one of those that would be good for nugget hunting. Rather, of those you mentioned, it would be the best. Keep checking all the forum classified ads and hold out for a Goldmaster Vsat or GM 3. That would be your best bet.

Digger Bob

I will third that and add Goldmaster 2 as a third choice.

Herb

Go detect the parks, schools and dry-sand beaches until you can pay for one of the better vlf gold detectors...you will likely regret buying a less than efficient machine...in other words money spend on the right tool is cheaper than buying a cheaper tool and than repenting and buying the "right" tool...

Fred

Hi all

thanks for the info and replies

might try and hold out there is a whites vsat detector right now on ebay for about 299 still has 3 days left i think if stays within that range i might try for it

also

what about the older whites goldmaster detectors would those still work well nugget hunting ?

i live in palmdale ca , so i usually go out to my club claims which are around the randsburg area out past mojave.

anyone still use the older goldmasters even though there not really digital ?

phillip

If by "digital" you mean with the large display on the handle as the GM4B and GMT. I use the GM3 which is just before the GM4B without the large display. I like it for a number of reasons, 1. Can turn detector upside down to get scoop right against the coil for those tiny bits of gold. 2. Can change the frequency to eliminate interference from other detectors on the same frequency. 3. Can chest mount the control box to lighten load on swinging arm, especially when using the larger 14" coil. Further, If by not digital you mean the BIG Blue box with the big red meter, I don't think those would work as well as the VSAT, GM II (vsat?), GM3 on sensitivity and depth. If luck holds, you might find a GM4B in your price range, too.

Guest bedrock bob

The GM2 has found a bunch of gold for me. It was my first really good gold machine and I have had it for many many years. You cant go wrong with any of the Whites gold getters.

I use a Minelab, a GBII, and a GM2. I will get a GMT to add to the arsenal very soon and probably part with the GM2 and GBII. It will be with reluctance though because all of the machines have found a bunch of gold and are very good tools.

Phillip, If I were you I'd keep saving until I could afford a machine made for nuggets, like the goldmasters, GBII, etc. The three you mention are coin machines and really just not sensetive enough to be used for prospecting. Yah, if a nugget is large enough and close enough to the surface a cheap coin machine will find it, but you will be handicapping yourself pretty severly. Many guys take 6 months to a year to find their first nugget. You might be handicapping yourself such that it will take several years.

It alsmost like saying, I want to get into drag racing, but all I can afford is an old Ford Pinto.

Chris

Guest bedrock bob

It alsmost like saying, I want to get into drag racing, but all I can afford is an old Ford Pinto.

Chris

Well put Chris! Quite an appropriate analogy!

Phillip, If I were you I'd keep saving until I could afford a machine made for nuggets, like the goldmasters, GBII, etc. The three you mention are coin machines and really just not sensetive enough to be used for prospecting. Yah, if a nugget is large enough and close enough to the surface a cheap coin machine will find it, but you will be handicapping yourself pretty severly. Many guys take 6 months to a year to find their first nugget. You might be handicapping yourself such that it will take several years.

Chris

Hi

i know it takes time and a learning process which i'm happy to be apart of

phil

Like Chris says plus if youre ready to spend 300 on a machine right now and you want to hunt gold just hang in there a little while longer and youll have more money to spend and you will find a good used machine for hunting gold.

Phillip... I also belong to the PCSC. I will make a suggestion since I'm familiar with the PCSC association claims: Let the members know your needs. There are many dual members who belong to other prospecting associations with gold machines they are willing to sell at a reasonable price. As an example, the Antelope Valley often has listings.

However, you may find the monthly PCSC outings to the beaches and parks to your liking. I would go with what they recommend and there may be a machine for you that is sitting in a closet.

Phillip... I also belong to the PCSC. I will make a suggestion since I'm familiar with the PCSC association claims: Let the members know your needs. There are many dual members who belong to other prospecting associations with gold machines they are willing to sell at a reasonable price. As an example, the Antelope Valley often has listings.

However, you may find the monthly PCSC outings to the beaches and parks to your liking. I would go with what they recommend and there may be a machine for you that is sitting in a closet.

hi thanks for the reply jim glad to see other pcsc members on the forums

usually the two main claims that i go out to regulary are red chispa and the clark claim

also just a quick update i just got lucky on ebay and picked up a whites goldmaster v/sat for 224 plus shipping so i'm really excited :)

I'm also going to be joing lost dutchman association this year :)

phillip

Congrats on the detector Phillip. Try and find a book called Zip Zip: Mastering Your Metal Detector by Larry Sallee. He was a master with the Vsat. Good Luck

Rich

hi thanks for the reply jim glad to see other pcsc members on the forums

usually the two main claims that i go out to regulary are red chispa and the clark claim

also just a quick update i just got lucky on ebay and picked up a whites goldmaster v/sat for 224 plus shipping so i'm really excited :)

I'm also going to be joing lost dutchman association this year :)

phillip

If you want to join LDMA do it at a Gold Show so you get the deal . Lower down payment and payments that are only (I think) $30 a month and $120 a year maintainance fees for the claims . Call the GPAA and get the scoop .

I have a gmt which I love, but I've also been playin with the gmz.. its a newer machine a little bit simpler and uses the same coil. And costs in the 400s new.. just my opinion, and I am fairly new to the game..just throwin it out there.. good luck

Phillip,

I'm also a member of PCSC. At the next meeting get with the President, Martin, and he can show you members that are good with that machine and can help you out. He may be able to help also.

29prospector :olddude:

There are alot better deals out there than ebay. Ive seen some of the vsats go for 150 or so on ebay. Probably your best bet is craigslist, and even better is craigslook.com, it searches all of cl in the use or locally. I saw a GM3 for 300 or 350 and offered them 150 the first day of the ad and they took my offer, brand new with 2 coils. Keep looking and you should find something in a month or so. Where do you live??? Im in san fernando valley