Nugget Shooter Forums
grubstake

Notice1 By Grubstake

Since all the forums have gone to the new high speed format, as of Jan. 1st 2010, my internet will not be on, I have decided to do away with it all together, So my email address will no longer be valid after the 1st of the month. I'm on dial up and it takes twice as long under these new formats to load up a forum or post. Thanks Guys Grubstake

Gary... I'm om dialup too. Yes it is slow... But there are ways to make it work better.

Your Friend... Jim

Gary,

A different browser may help also, one that is more streamlined without a bunch of overhead. Google makes Chrome which is pretty fast and on a dialup, it could speed up your connections.

http://www.google.com/chrome/index.html

Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose and being a newbie, I'll probably be missing out on some valuable info if you leave...

Yes sir it's pay up to keep up or get out of the game and dial-up is slowly but surely phasing out. All these different browsers and accelerators claim to do this and that and it is all BS. The 56Kbps modem in your PC is capable of handling that 56Kbps and that's it. I have been on MSN dial-up for 10 years and the most I've ever seen is 54Kbps in my last PC that had a V90 modem. With my new HP/Compaq peice of junk PC with a soft data fax modem the fastest is 52Kbps and that drops way down during peak usage hours. Here's how modems work on HowStuffWorks.

I'm in the same boat grubstake and we have only 3 options, put up with it, or pay for high speed, or just say screw it. If you pull the plug your prospecting/mining knowledge and opinions will be greatly missed by many.

There is other options.

People PC was good at $10.00 a month.

They had a built in excellerator.

First few months was half the price.

Might try looking there.

http://www.peoplepc.com/newsignup/pages/Landing.aspx?offercode=CONNECT4LESS

Why not look into getting a cheap laptop computer that has a built in WIFI card then find a spot that offers free WIFI and then you are all set. Most Mcdonalds that I have been in have free WIFI. In any case it is not hard to find a spot that offers free WIFI.

Rich

Neerest McDonalds is 40 miles one way from me, thets 80 mile round trip, just to get on the net. Hell it would cost me $40.00 in gas every time I wanted to use it. I think not. Forced to get DSL up here, the first of the year, unless I want to spend 20 minutes on each forum ,just to get on and another 10 minutes for my post to load up. Born at night but not last night. Grubstake

Just curious, do you have cable or satellite TV? Their internet is more expensive than dialup or DSL. But they would spoil you quick with the speed. My apology if this has already been discussed. :twocents: P.S. If memory serves, the DSL was a nice step up from dialup.

Grubstake,

It would be wrong to lose your experience from the forum. I can vouch for the speed of the Chrome browser. Please download it and try it out. You might be amazed! It's free and installs in seconds

For Windows XP, Vista, and 7.

I hope to see you here in the new year...

Colin

Google Chome Download

Grubstake,

It would be wrong to lose your experience from the forum. I can vouch for the speed of the Chrome browser. Please download it and try it out. You might be amazed! It's free and installs in seconds

For Windows XP, Vista, and 7.

I hope to see you here in the new year...

Colin

Google Chome Download

Colin how do I find out what browser I have now?....

If you don't know what browser you are using, then you are probably using Microsoft Internet Explorer, providing are running windows, as it comes with windows. If a Mac, then you are probably running Apple's browser, Safari.

Just look in the upper left hand corner of the program you are running to view the forum and it will most likely say Windows Internet Explorer.

If you don't know what browser you are using, then you are probably using Microsoft Internet Explorer, providing are running windows, as it comes with windows. If a Mac, then you are probably running Apple's browser, Safari.

Just look in the upper left hand corner of the program you are running to view the forum and it will most likely say Windows Internet Explorer.

HALLELUIA!!! all the way across the top of the screen it says:Windows Internet Explorer...

now I wonder what version...and if Google Chrome is better and if it will cause me to

find more gold...

Hey guys Opera is another great browser for windows a little more secure than ie and pretty fast to. I'm a linux user so i haven't really tried chrome. Pc questions are one area i can help :)

HALLELUIA!!! all the way across the top of the screen it says:Windows Internet Explorer...

now I wonder what version...and if Google Chrome is better and if it will cause me to

find more gold...

Garimpo,

Windows Internet version 8 is so slow I gave up on it. I downloaded Google Chrome and Firefox. Both run circles around Windows browser. But that's just my two cents on the subject.

h20prospector

Don .. On your IE tool bar across the top click on "Help" and then on "About Internet Explorer" ... that will tell you what version of IE you have.

Mike F.

I downloaded Google Chrome and Firefox. Both run circles around Windows browser. But that's just my two cents on the subject.

h20prospector

And your two cents are FACT :)

Why not look into getting a cheap laptop computer that has a built in WIFI card then find a spot that offers free WIFI and then you are all set. Most Mcdonalds that I have been in have free WIFI. In any case it is not hard to find a spot that offers free WIFI.

Rich

Grubstake,

Another option here is if you have any neighbors close to you that have high speed Internet and a wireless router, you could get a wirelees card for your desktop and it should recieve the signal to your neighbor's wireless router, it would not affect their online connection at all, and you would be in heaven with the faster connection, just a thought.

I surely would hate not seeing you around.

Skip

Just a question to all that have downloaded Google Chrome, I would like to try it out, but I would like to know if I download and install it, will I still have IE on my computer as a backup, I guess what I'm asking is will it affect the current browser that I'm using in anyway?

Thanks,

Skip

Just a question to all that have downloaded Google Chrome, I would like to try it out, but I would like to know if I download and install it, will I still have IE on my computer as a backup, I guess what I'm asking is will it affect the current browser that I'm using in anyway?

Thanks,

Skip

Yes, I have the option of running Chrome, Firefox, or Explorer. I only run explorer if I can't get something to work on either Chrome or Firefox, very rare indeed.

Another option here is if you have any neighbors close to you that have high speed Internet and a wireless router, you could get a wirelees card for your desktop and it should recieve the signal to your neighbor's wireless router, it would not affect their online connection at all, and you would be in heaven with the faster connection, just a thought.
Please explain to me how this is not Stealing. When you wrote "it would not affect their online connection at all" is wrong it will affect it. If any of you have a

wireless network in your home I strongly suggest that you encrypt it.

The post that I made was that a lot of places offer free internet service to their customers.

Rich

That would never happen with me, my next door nighbor has DSL and I'm going to get it right after the first. I would have before that, but all the tec's are out for Christmas Vacation. will be back on Sat. the 2nd. I will have my high speed then. Up here you got two ways to go dial up with the phone company. Sierra Tele Internet or DSL with them. Or the cable company wich is more costly. Starter plan on DSL is $30.00 a month and will give me 10x the speed of dial up. and it cost me $20.00 a month for dial up. The only catch is, you have to rent monthly the DSL router box or buy it for $50.00 and pay for filters on two phone lines, this will allow me to use the phone and internet at the same time, which I can not do now. So basicly its a $100.00 for the instalation and first month of DSL, and then $30.00 a month after. And you have to sign a one year contract. And if you disconnect before the year is up, its a $250.00 penalty fee. Grubstake

Please explain to me how this is not Stealing. When you wrote "it would not affect their online connection at all" is wrong it will affect it. If any of you have a

wireless network in your home I strongly suggest that you encrypt it.

The post that I made was that a lot of places offer free internet service to their customers.

Rich

Rich,

I didn't mean to do it without your neighbor's permission :whaaaa: , all of my neighbors are just that neighbors and good friends, I consider a "neighbor" just that and not just the people living next door or across the street, and yes we do have some of those "people" that live nearby and they are never a part of the neighborhood and thus not true neighbors and would not help others if they had too, but I will still help them if needed hoping to make them our neighbors, anyone is capable of change, I would never advise someone to do something like this without permission, I assumed that would be done without spelling it out!!

How would it affect your neighbor connection, I have done this for one of my neighbors and it hasn't affected my connections at all?

Yes I agree that you should have encryption on your router that is just common sense, someone with bad intentions could affect you and your connection, but that would not be the case here.

Skip

Grubstake:

Once you have installed Chrome, you will be given a choice to make it your primary browser. Internet explorer will not be affected. Good luck. We all want to hear of your experiences.