Nugget Shooter Forums

Scored a nice one!

Paseclipse

Hi all, it's been a while since I've nailed a decent sized nugget, especially since I'm hunting for meteorites most of the time. The last time I scored some nice sized nuggets was in September of '08. Went to the goldfields with a confident attitude and a little different settings on my GPX-4000 this weekend and boy did it pay off!-

Nugs.jpg

First nugget was a 0.90 grammer about 10" deep, second was a 12.5 grammer about 14-16" deep. Both were found using a 14" round mono coil swinging extra slow, scrubbing the ground, and digging everything. The 12.5 grammer barely broke the threshold and sounded more like ground noise than a deep target at first. The signal was repeating the same in all directions and deserved a scrape off the top. I scraped a little off the top and the signal got louder, gave out a nice soft wee-woo sound and peaked a little higher than a hot rock. Then I knew it was definitely a target so I kept digging and it kept getting louder and louder. After I got down to around 12" deep the target was screaming and difficult to locate so I had to break out a pin pointer... my Whites GMT. The GMT was giving me a huge "zip zip" sound and the meter was registering well below 25% iron probability... I knew there was a good chance it was gold by then and maybe a good sized nugget too! Dug down a couple more inches and pinpointed again. No target so it had to be somewhere in the hole. Waved the GMT around a little more and got a booming signal on a clay covered rock. Reached in picked it up and all I could feel the weight, there was no doubt it was a nugget now! Had to clean it off a little bit before I saw the glitter of gold. Gave me an ear to ear smile! :D

Enjoy!

Del

Hi all, thanks for the kudos. Chris my "pin pointer" was a little bit of a hike to go and get but not that big of a deal. Besides I wanted grab the GMT to go over the area anyway and clean out any small dinks that could have been laying around. Rich I've read about that pinpointing trick but doesn't that only work with a DD coil?

As for the location... sorry guys have to keep that one to myself because I don't want to create a stampede!

Del

Wow Del... that is worth digging! Just keep swinging and you will find the rest of the family.

There were a few others braving the weather at Benson on Saturday... did you hold the 8 0z

found a few months ago?

Changing the subject to meteorites, did you get the letter I sent you a few weeks ago?

Changing the subject to meteorites, did you get the letter I sent you a few weeks ago?

Yeah Jim got your letter and I've been meaning to call you. I've just been caught up with all the holiday crap I haven't had the time. I'd be glad to do it. Shoot me a pm or email so we can discuss this please.

Del

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, thanks for the kudos. Chris my "pin pointer" was a little bit of a hike to go and get but not that big of a deal. Besides I wanted grab the GMT to go over the area anyway and clean out any small dinks that could have been laying around. Rich I've read about that pinpointing trick but doesn't that only work with a DD coil?

As for the location... sorry guys have to keep that one to myself because I don't want to create a stampede!

Del

Booyah-chukka!! Nicely done--that's some sweet heavy metal you found!!

All the best,

Lanny

Hello Del,

Nice nuggets for sure, you have a GPX4000 and when you get in that situation where it's screaming at you just flip the switch into cancel and it will kill most of the signal and you have to get the coil almost on the target to hear it . Try it next time .

Lanny and Bill thanks for the congrats. I went back out there and popped out another little 1 grammer a week later. Wish they could all be that big but thats the way it goes. Bill I'm glad to see you back at the helm!

AZ4AU I'll give the pinpointing trick a try next time.

Del