Nugget Shooter Forums

Back from AZ prospecting trip

Red_desert

I'm back now from Arizona...I left Oct 19, got here Nov 26. about 12:00 noon. The Thanksgiving traffic was something else...took many extra days getting home. I had to make the trip alone with nobody to help drive...getting back was really slow. Not driving slow, just had too many half days of travel, didn't do any night driving either.

I wish I'd be able to say my trip was productive and filled with plenty of gold, but I didn't do any better than some have mentioned in their posts here. It was sure a lot of fun, met some interesting people who like gold prospecting. One big mistake I made in preparing for the trip...digging tools. I should have taken a good pick, long handled shovel. Had a hammer pick, but never carried it with me. Used a small backpack to carry water, trail mix to eat, a metal detecting trowel (like you would use in a park), a small nugget pick with a magnet on the end. The nugget pick was more like a hoe/rake.

I used just a nugget detector, don't have a dry-washer. :baaasmiley:

Then...I did a search first, to see if anyone posts on dowsing here...it seems a few do so, I'll mention that I took about 11 pairs of bronze L-rods along, no handles and they were balanced differently by length or extra amount of rod/bends under where you hold them. Some of the most interesting experiences of the trip were with the rods...the metal detector just wasn't producing anything.

But I found a couple of prospectors to hang out with for the first part of the trip. The one guy used to have a claim until 1997 out toward, except East of the La Paz placers. It was about 2 miles from where we were camped in the BLM 14 day free camping at Quartzsite (West end). Since I kept picking up on the place with the rods, he told me how he once had a claim over there. We went hiking to look for his old claim, finally located the old claim markers. In one of the washes next to it, recently an 11 ounce nugget got dug by someone metal detecting.

Later at the GPAA claim (second part of the trip) I located by dowsing some places which, some said (who seen me with the rods there)...been some nuggets found at those dowsed locations. But the places were all toward the far end of the claim, went there at first just to check it out and see what it looked like back there. Eventually I followed up with some more dowsing at the spot, marking places in my GPS. Someone always would drive up on the ridge in their 4WD to watch, just driving slowly observing.

When I read posts about gold areas out West, have been hit hard...I believe it. There just doesn't seem to be much of anything on the surface. I did a lot of metal detecting with another who really knows the area and he wasn't doing well either. I'm sure there is still plenty below the surface, I'd like to follow a bulldozer around in some places out there.

I just didn't have much patience for digging in that ground...places still good and solid in the big washes that apparently nobody had dug up yet. I cleared out the boulders in a stretch of about 15-20 ft. Tossed out the rocks under them. It looked fine for digging, not so...more smaller rocks below the surface. My shovel with a 2 ft handle just couldn't penetrate the ground in that wash. A large pick probably could have worked to get the job done (didn't have one).

Anyways, I had plenty of fun! :thumbsupanim

Red Desert,

Can you tell me more about how you dowse for gold please? A friend of mine is convinced it's a sure-fire strategy, but I haven't seen him get any gold that way. But I am intriged. What dimension rods do you think work best? What material are they made from? How effective do you think they work?

Thanks!

Paul

Guest bedrock bob

I'll mention that I took about 11 pairs of bronze L-rods along.

My shovel with a 2 ft handle just couldn't penetrate the ground in that wash. A large pick probably could have worked to get the job done (didn't have one).

Let me see, the freight on this trip consisted of;

No large pick, no drywasher, a shovel with a 2 foot handle, and 11 pairs of brazing rods?

Musta been just plain bad luck! Whooda thunk you couldnt find a nugget like that?

Did you spend more time with the brazing rods or the detector?

Not to say dowsing does not work, because I have seen a professional dowse for water and rarely ever miss...BUT... I know hundreds of guys that prospect and find good gold using the tried and true methods (drywasher, gold pan, metal detector) and I know dozens more who insist that they can dowse for gold. Not a darn one of those dowsers have ever found a piece of gold to my knowledge. So, it seems that if it does work, it certainly is not the preferred method to put gold in a little bottle.

The main thing is that you had fun. If you found a pound of gold and didnt have fun it would have been a bust.

And if you get the hang of those dowsing rods could you tell me where I left my keys...I seem to have lost them and I just cant find them anywhere!

Ant Man, what teh dowsers tell me is that it matters not what you use...A bent bycycle spoke, a brazing rod, a clothes hanger, or a willow switch. The power comes from within the dowser, and the instrument is only an indicator. Starett (the precision instrument company) offers a pair of dowsing rods in a nice case with a small container in the handle to put a specimen if you are interested in buying "professional" dowsing rods. Some guys use a needle on a string, and others use a golden needle that they form from placer recovered from the area. Some guys roll nuggets across a map. SOme hold a shovel out in front of them and "feel" the direction. It is my humble opinion that any of these methods could work if the "spirit is in you".

It aint in me, so I am sticking to the detector and the drywasher.

Bob

Dowsing is a topic you get a lot of opinions on, normally I don't try to get in on forum discussions very often about it.

But, since I've mentioned it here, all is needed is just tell my experiences with dowsing out West. I don't live anywhere close to a location that a person could even try dowsing for gold nuggets. So, I was hoping to get some experience on doing that while there. I spent much more time metal detecting than dowsing. Haven't found a way to dowse yet while swinging a detector, it takes 2 hands to dowse. I tried putting the detector over my shoulder once while hiking into a place, that didn't work very well either.

I did help the guy, his name is Dan, look for his old claim. He had moved to Florida and since then tried to find it. The other times he failed to locate it. Now, I don't know why a person would have problems relocating their old claim...but we hiked in there, took out my rods. The rods pointed in a direction and Dan lead the way. The rods proved to be right, we came right to his old claim...found it with the rods.

Where I live, don't really have a good place to work with the rods, other than at home. I mean...where are you going to go to practice, the local park? I'm highly allergic to poison ivy, have to stay out of the woods here. I've thinking of going to try it at a local park anyway, might not be easy with people around...could be interesting.

I think everyone can believe what they want about dowsing. I've had enough experiences to keep myself convinced it can work, but like metal detectors...you need to get good at it or familiar with how things operate.

The rods are made from 3/32 bare bronze rods, it was 18" length US Forge Part No. 02322. I cut the rods so, at the bend you have about 11-11/12" seems to work best.

While camped with the other prospectors, we (Dan and I) hiked in to places, he was showing me some places to prospect. The other guy was Walt, he would watch things at camp. After they left, I was alone and nobody to watch things.

There were things like tailing piles found a few times when following the rods from a distance.

Bob, you mentioned the needle and the string Dowsing. Thats actually a Pendulum and I have a guy here near me that swears by it. Now I am usually pretty skeptical about Quiji board kinds of stuff and challenged him to try and locate with me. I took 2 items out to this area a day before. One was a baggie of dust from drywashing and the other was a Solid Gold watch....Now mind you I put a rock next to each hole and a small piece of Chalcadony on top of the rocks, so I didnt lose me items.

The guy was out there for 3 hours and walked right by both stashes more than once but no deal. I will say I came up with 2 small nuggies in about an hour. I didnt have the heart to say anything to the guy about the stashes, so I went back the next day to retrieve them.

I have read up on dowsing for both Gold Silver and Water. UM....gimme my drywasher or my GB2 anyday.

I once ran a city water/waste water system and using a pair of bent brazing rods located pipes many time and saw other people who could also do it, NEVER saw anyone who could prove that they find treasure or coins or gold with them.

That being said, once at Stanton we were having an outing and this guy had a TXXXX locating machine with antennas, dials etc all over it, he had paid several 1000 $ for it and was braging it up. I had 3 nuggets that = over 3 OZ and a 1 Lb silver bar made from melted down silver coins that I had found with my old MineLab around Stanton.

I made him the offer that I would hide them within 100 feet of the East edge of the camp and give him an hour to locate them and if he did they were his!

I had the witnesses take him into the old restroom and make sure he didn't peek and walked out about 40 feet and stuck them under a cactus.

He tuned, dialed, turned in circlles, extended and retracted antennas and all that crap and finally pointed to Rich hill and said it says theres gold over there but none here!

I walked out and picked it up and walked right up to the machine with it and it still didn't do any thing! He got so mad and everyone was laughing at him he loaded up and left the camp.

There's several people still around that where there to see that, Tom and Norma Jones and I were just last month talking about old times and a guy I can't remember his name said he was there and saw it and the AZ state GPAA cordinator was there too and I can't remember his name either but will never forget that his wife tried to cook beans in a pressure cooker inside their tent and it blew up, beans everywhere!

NOW, does anyone want to go pardners on a ground penatrating radar ? They do work !!

Max

Guest bedrock bob

Yes Gilaoro!

I had a friend that was interested in the long range detectors and he was always wanting me to go with him to help him dig. He had several shyster type friends that had him on the hook believing that their machines would work. I got in the habit of carrying a four ounce gold cross in my pocket while we were out piddling around with these things. While one of these fellows strutted around with teh rods telling me hos "far and deep" this machine would detect I would sit and smile with a big hunk of gold in my pocket.

He died a few years ago and left this machine to me in his will. It cost him $30K or so I was told. It was a nice honda generator with a control board mounted on it, a hand held array of buttons, and a couple of dowsing rods. It also had some eletrodes that were driven in the ground. I had seen it work (or not work) many times before. Afte ra few months I took that hand held button thing apart and it was just buttons...no wires and no circuit connections to anyhting. The control panel hooked to the electrodes had some circuitry inside, but i took all of the crap off from the generator and use it for power in camp now.

I can not discount dowsing, especially map dowsing, because I know guys that use it to find a spot for detecting. It seems to work for some. I cant figure how a fellow would use this technique to find a nugget though...recovery is hard enough with a machine that goes "beep"...How a fellow would get a nugget in his hand using rods I am not sure. ANyhoo, a lot of SPaniards and old timers swore by it so I am not going to discount it.

Bob

"And if you get the hang of those dowsing rods could you tell me where I left my keys...I seem to have lost them and I just cant find them anywhere!"

Bob, did you try checking all your pockets...of the clothes you've been wearing? Like the closet in your room or where most clothes are usually kept?

• 4 months later...

Bob, you mentioned the needle and the string Dowsing. Thats actually a Pendulum and I have a guy here near me that swears by it. Now I am usually pretty skeptical about Quiji board kinds of stuff and challenged him to try and locate with me. I took 2 items out to this area a day before. One was a baggie of dust from drywashing and the other was a Solid Gold watch....Now mind you I put a rock next to each hole and a small piece of Chalcadony on top of the rocks, so I didnt lose me items.

The guy was out there for 3 hours and walked right by both stashes more than once but no deal. I will say I came up with 2 small nuggies in about an hour. I didnt have the heart to say anything to the guy about the stashes, so I went back the next day to retrieve them.

I have read up on dowsing for both Gold Silver and Water. UM....gimme my drywasher or my GB2 anyday.

The thing is...before I left, lost my little test nugget at home. I looked several times for it. I took out a pair of rods and in about 2 minutes found the location where it was, except didn't see the nugget first time.

Then after the trip, unpacked my stuff and lost the test nugget again. This time I didn't get out the rods. I'd searched every possible place, about 4-5 times. Now, since last posting here, got out my rods again and found it in less than 2 minutes.

The problem with dowsing over a placer deposit, gold is under your feet, it is everywhere. I believe now, a right method, would be to dowse for black sand deposits. I was successful in finding those concentrations, places others found nugget patches in the past, plenty of tailing piles from a distance (too far away to see from where standing).

Then I've found lost gold rings at home also. I haven't worked much with L-rods until recently, that was the main purpose of this trip and get some nice weather (I hate cold).

Map dowsing...I've done that and have got good results over the years, for many different things.