Nugget Shooter Forums

Any chance on this one?

Hi, new guy here. I recently became interested in finding meteorites and picked through my metal detecting junk boxes. Of all the rocks I kept over the years, this one looks the most promising. I do have lots of iron ore, and this may be a piece that is just more pure. It doesn't streak like the others and is certainly iron and highly magnetic. A friend cut it for me, and I polished it a bit. I found it in Maryland. I am a frequent lurker here and hope to actually meet some of you one day. Thanks for looking....Beau

post-22738-126074220846_thumb.jpg

post-22738-126074221826_thumb.jpg

Guest bedrock bob

Welcome Aquachigger...

...is that like sea lice? It just makes me want to scratch behind my ear with my back leg, you know?

I couldnt tell you what a meteorite looks like, but I can tell you what hematite or magnetite looks like. And you have a piece!

Rub it on the back of a ceramic tile or on an unglazed ceramic surface and it will grind a little of the rock off and it will be a color. Either red or black or anywhere in between. If'n it leaves a streak with color it is terrestrial iron ore. If'n the streak is colorless or light grey (metallic) then start thinking meteorite.

When you ground your window what color were the filings? I generally use a little 4" angle grinder with a thin cutting blade to work up a window. I use wet abrasive paper on a block to polish up my windows and the "streak" is always apparent right away as soon as the paper starts to cut or the disk begins to grind.

Bob

Thanks for the quick reply bedrock bob. Yep, it streaks! I pushed it down much harder on the tile and that ended my hopes.

And why yes...it is sea lice. I do a lot of water detecting for relics and one year got a bad case of swimmers itch. As I was telling the tale to my digging buddies, and explaining that the welts itch and look like chigger bites, one buddy looked up and said "kinda like an aqua chigger?". The name stuck. I have a couple relic videos on youtube, look up "aquachigger". The latest two are the best.

Thanks again!

Guest bedrock bob

Thanks for the quick reply bedrock bob. Yep, it streaks! I pushed it down much harder on the tile and that ended my hopes.

And why yes...it is sea lice. I do a lot of water detecting for relics and one year got a bad case of swimmers itch. As I was telling the tale to my digging buddies, and explaining that the welts itch and look like chigger bites, one buddy looked up and said "kinda like an aqua chigger?". The name stuck. I have a couple relic videos on youtube, look up "aquachigger". The latest two are the best.

Thanks again!

I figured as much. I dive a lot and the sea lice are like swimming in battery acid!

I just could not look at that rock and imagine that it didnt streak. The surface just does not look like the meteorites I have seen, but again I know nothing about meteorites. It is a fine piece of hard iron ore for sure, and it looks very metallic in the cut face rather than "graphite grey" but it still does not scream "METEORITE" to me.

I know...When I began hunting mets I remembered a rock that I had found 20 years earlier that I could not explain. Out of desperation I called it "hemetite" and left it there. After all of those years I finally went back and found that rock AGAIN...Yup, hematite. It is a beauty though and will stick to a magnet like a solid piece of steel. If the detector is balanced a little "cold" it will sound just like a engine block...But it aint a space rock.

So stay away from those aqua chiggers and keep your mouthpiece tight in your lips...I removed my moutpiecs one time in a cloud of those critters and got a few INSIDE on my toungue and throat...NO FUN!

I hope that you find a bucket of meteorites!

Bob