Nugget Shooter Forums

Minelab Sold!

Strawboss

Talk about being in the dark, I feel like a mushroom. I was looking at Minelab to maybe purchase one in the near future but the prices are way out there and after reading these two articles, I think I'll pass.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25693595-5003680,00.html

http://coindetector.com/news/Minelab+potential+up+under+Codan+control-n-1038.html

Straw Boss. It is nothing new,They had been planning on moving the Ireland base to Indonisia for quite some time.To bad they cant keep up with the new detectors,It is a shame as they could be raking in the doe.Also Codan has owned them for over a year.I still think My 4500 is king. :twocents:

Straw Boss. It is nothing new,They had been planning on moving the Ireland base to Indonisia for quite some time.To bad they cant keep up with the new detectors,It is a shame as they could be raking in the doe.Also Codan has owned them for over a year.I still think My 4500 is king. twocents[1].gif

I have just resently started detecting, so it was new news to me. Getting rid of almost all of your talent, engeneers and moving the factory to Malaysia just might not be the best for the New Minlab detectors they are putting out there. The used ones on the other hand were made in the U.S. or Ireland. It is my opinion that the new ones won't be as good as the old ones. I could be wrong that's why I gave the URL so people can make up there own minds and do further research if they want to. Thanks for replying.

• 4 weeks later...

Talk about being in the dark, I feel like a mushroom. I was looking at Minelab to maybe purchase one in the near future but the prices are way out there and after reading these two articles, I think I'll pass.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25693595-5003680,00.html

http://coindetector.com/news/Minelab+potential+up+under+Codan+control-n-1038.html

Hey--thanks for the links!

All the best,

Lanny

Well I would certainly worry about the quality dropping. This has happened to other companies in other industries too. Remember when HD was sold. The quality of their Bikes dropped for about 10 years and the company was in trouble.

When someone can show me a detector that will out perform a Minelab at finding nuggets I'll jump on it, but until then I will hunt with their detectors even if they go to the moon.... I do indeed check out other manufactures models and as for now Minelab is simply the best available.

As for Harley AMF bought them out when they were floundering in 1972 and saved their bacon then HD bought it back in late 1978 and stayed with the same basic shovelhead design until 1984. True some didn't like it and in some areas quality suffered for a short while, but they did build good bikes and I just happen to ride a 1978 Lowrider (Shovelhead) today...

How will it go for Minelab and quality? Time will tell I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

To help calm fears of quality. I lived and worked in Singapore for six years. I have been to Malaysia and Penang many times. I worked in electronics manufacturing. I woud not have any issue buying a Minelab made in Malaysia. Plexus is an excellent provider. Quality requirements are the same regardless onwhere made. Leadership matters. Management in sustaining quality is always critical. Staff. And engineers there are highly skilled and have many many years of experience. Heck. Honeywell Aerospace just opened a plant in Penang Malaysia.

Cheers