Nugget Shooter Forums

What is it?

Ant Man

Greetings!

Herb and I went to a gold claim on Old Mine Road in San Diego county, and right off the dirt road I found an old, rusted piece of something, and it looks like there my be gold "stamped" into it. The attached photos show the object, but I can't figure out what it is, or if the shiny yellow stuff attached to it is gold, bronze, etc.... I put some real gold next to it and the colors match up, not that it means anything except the colors match. The object is very rusted and there do not appear to be screw attachments or any broken welds I can see.

Does anybody have a guess?

What would be the best way to determine if the shiny yellow stuff is gold or not?

Thanks!

Ant Man

post-22512-126050002558_thumb.jpg

post-22512-126050003667_thumb.jpg

post-22512-126050004591_thumb.jpg

What would be the best way to determine if the shiny yellow stuff is gold or not?

Sorry to dissapoint, but iron oxide is yellow and although its normally yellow and earthy, sometimes its yellow and kind of metallic looking.

Your flecks are iron oxide (rust).

Thanks Chris. I figured it was something like that. Have to sell it at the swap meet I guess.

Joke!

Paul

I'm learning all kinds of interesting things since I took up prospecting!

Thank you.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I'm learning all kinds of interesting things since I took up prospecting!

Thank you.

Paul

Keep at it--it just gets to be more and more fun, more puzzles, more mysteries, more enigmas, more learning . . . . But, most of all, just remember that you will have more fun!