Nugget Shooter Forums

info on Cal state property

David Wiseman

Guest bedrock bob

In general, a state organization does not "own" property, but they simply control it. State property is usually "owned" by the State's General Sevices Department, or the State Land Office. An agency may, in some states, actually "own" property, but it is unusual.

For instance, here in NM I manage a bunch of property for a State Agency. But this property is actually owned and administered by the General Services Department, NOT the agency that occupies it. We just MANAGE it.

Now, undeveloped land is administered by the State Land Office. You CAN ideed mine on this land, but it has to be open to mining, the mining operation has to be competitively bid, and the most suitable bidder is selected to perform the operation.

Now, that is the way it is HERE and how it is in CA I do not know. But I do know MOST states follow this model as it is the easiest way to keep control ove land and State Owned infrastructure.

If I was going to find out the answer to your questions I would Inquire with the California Department of General Services or equal. They will know exactly how State lands are administered and can point you in the right direction.

Bob

Fee simple land is one thing, State land is another.

There are numerious instances in CA where various entities such a CYA, Boy Scouts, other youth groups, etc have a long standing "special use permit" on a tract of federal public domain lands. The use permit does NOT withdrawal the lands from mineral entry, under the General Mining laws. As such, the land is open to mineral entry, if an applicable valuable mineral exists there. However, anyone staking claim to it, cannot deny the groups use granted by the permit.

Thanks for the replies fellows. The guy who asked me is moving up by the north coast and said the area was unpatented mining claims at one time,but most were abandoned before the depression.Some kind of deal was worked between the BLM and the state and the status is unclear.He'll check at that counties assesors and recorders office.

Guest bedrock bob

Thanks for the replies fellows. The guy who asked me is moving up by the north coast and said the area was unpatented mining claims at one time,but most were abandoned before the depression.Some kind of deal was worked between the BLM and the state and the status is unclear.He'll check at that counties assesors and recorders office.

If'n it is BLM and open to mineral entry you would figure that BLM would be able to give you some details. I know that when they do the land deals that USUALLY it is withdrawn from mineral entry and the FED GOVT. claims the minerals. That is the way it was with Nature Conservancy swaps, dam sites, acequias, and other land here that has been "gifted" or swapped by the BLM... Surface rights are given to the land "occupier" and the FEDS retain the mineral estate.

...I believe that this is the way it is with Philmont Scout Ranch and the Elizabethtown Placers in New Mexico. If ther ever was unpatented claims on it I would bet a nugget that it is NOT State land, but I know nothing about land in California.

County recorders office is not the place to look.

Tax assessors office could tell you if it was patented fee simple land, state land, or federal public domain.

Quicker way is to:

On line you can pull up the BLM Master Title Plat (MTP) of the township.

That will give you the land status of all lands in all 36 sections of the township.

If the MTP shows the land to be public domain, not under any withdrawal from mineral entry.

Check the on-line BLM LR 2000 geo-index system to see if it is covered with any valid mining claim.

If not, its open to staking/filing a claim.

Always look at the master plat index for the map info-on most BLM/FS land status maps DO NOT show anything less than 80 acres. Not all but many. We had a special use permit up here in Shasta County with the Bureau of Reclaimation on lands that were under the administration of the BLM(under a interlockatory agreement) that lasted for over 15 years. BUT California Dept of Corrections and state lands are a different deal.Almost went to jail for dredging county detention property due to NOT getting the permission in WRITING!! I would absolutely love to see how this ends up as a great deal of info can be gleaned-both good/bad-for all to learn-lotza luck in the anti mining state a kalif-John :arrowheadsmiley:

John,

BLM Master Title Plats (MTP) show grafic land status depictions down to 2.5 acres parcels.

Anything below that is shown as notes on the NOTE area, on the right of the MTP.

You are right about getting everything in writing, to cover your hinny.

It sure saved mine a few times.

Talk is wind, writing is hard evidence.

Standing in court with a handfull or mouthfull of WIND, will get you nothing.

Hard evidence on the other hand will save your bacon.

I was refering to land status maps,sorry not to be specific. I was in court for the Linden brothers trial(cost $1260 each) and ever since then it's(permission) DEFINATELY in ironclad written permission. John :brows: