Nugget Shooter Forums

Murder Weapon

Guest bedrock bob

I see that many of the members list “metallic forensic evidence” in their profiles. I thought that this story might be of interest.

A few years ago a fellow was arrested in Truth or Consequences, and it turned out that he was a serial killer and a sadist that liked to torture women. This creep lived right behind our property at Elephant Butte Lake and we knew him well. David Parker Ray. He had worked for the State Parks for many years and we saw him either at his home (just across a chain link fence) or on the lake daily.

Well, there were many things that we saw that made us wonder about the dude. The most obvious was the fact that he often tied his naked girlfriend up on the picnic table and whipped her (a dead giveaway). He also had big parties at his house and when he did, you could hear the screams of pain coming from inside. On July 4th, 1996 the family (about 40 people) were at our lake house and across the fence there was a heck of a party going on. Lots of people, lots of screaming, and all the windows with the shades pulled down as usual.

That afternoon I was spear fishing at a favorite spot on the lake. An isolated cove in a spot that very few people ventured. The water was very murky and I was not having a good day. I had dropped my expensive spear gun in the water and could not see it because of the bad visibility. I was gridding the area “feeling” for my gun on the silty bottom. After about four hours I ran out of air and had to give up. I went to the local dive shop to get my tanks filled and went back to the cabin.

Our big family was having a fish fry and it was noisy. Even above the din of 40 people partying you could hear an occasional scream. It was weird, but whenever anyone would mention something someone else would point out that there were two local policemen in attendance over there (their cars were parked outside), and that things MUST be O.K. Besides, it happened often and we had become complacent about it.

The next morning I went and picked up my scuba tanks and went back to the cove. I had been in the water about five minutes when I felt something…It was NOT my speargun, but it WAS a gun! I knew by the feel that it was a ‘Colt” type revolver and it had the trap door open. I immediately surfaced (I was in 5 feet of water like chocolate milk). When my head popped up I saw David Parker Ray getting in to his truck (it was parked next to my Land Cruiser) and leaving up the road. I saw him well. He had thrown that gun into the lake. A brand new Brazilian .22 cal revolver built on the Colt patent.

Now, I knew that this dude was a freak, and I was not about to approach him and tell him that I had found the gun he threw in the lake. I knew a lot of ladies in T or C and they ALL said that this guy had raped them. It is a small town and everyone knows everyone. Besides, a fellow that he was friends with had just been found at the bottom of the lake and he had 40 pounds of nuts, bolts and washers in his stomach…Someone had made him eat all those before they threw him in the lake. David Parker Ray would get drunk in the Blue Water Saloon and brag about how many people he had killed and also that he had hid the bodies so well that “none of them will ever be found”. I was not about to go to the police with it either, because that is a whole different can of worms around here, and since he had a lot of policemen friends I decided to just keep the gun and keep my mouth shut.

It was about two years later that we were getting the cabin ready for spring. I was on the roof servicing the air conditioner, and my step brother and cousins were doing some plumbing around the back. At one point I heard a commotion and I saw a naked woman with a steel collar around her neck running down the road in front of David Parker Ray’s house (the next street over). She was all bloody on her head and she was screaming for help. Before anyone could get around the block to her a neighbor had her under control and was taking her into their house. David’s girlfriend Cindy was standing in the yard and her head was all bloody. She went back inside and within a few minutes she got in her car and left.

Well, that is how David Parker Ray was exposed. There have been several books written about him and his deeds. He was right about no one ever finding the bodies, because I believe that he cut them up, put them in 55 gallon drums, filled the drums with concrete, and used them to anchor the buoys and docks at Elephant Butte. Although he was a mechanic at the motor pool, I often saw him on the lake with the winch boat placing buoys. In his “playhouse” where he kept his torture stuff and the video cameras there was a map of the lake with “x”’s on it. The State Police said they could not figure it out, but we all gave our statements and we also offered to take them to one buoy in question that I knew he set within a couple of days after he threw the gun. They were not interested. I showed then which “x” it was on the map and they did not seem to think that it was important.

He had also buried something very deep near the fence, because the previous year when he installed his “playhouse” there was so much dirt moved that it buried half our lot and I had to get a backhoe to dig out the water valves. They did some type of scan and said there was no cavity under the “playhouse”, but I believe that there is something buried there to this day. His “playhouse” was a 12 X 24 industrial trailer like a military radio trailer. It had a bunch of dishes and antennas on it where he would broadcast his killings to a car dealer in Phoenix. They said that the two were in cahoots and sold the films to perverts. They estimated that his “playhouse” was worth $100, 000. This guy worked for $9 an hour as a mechanic.

After it was all said and done they never found any of the victims. It is estimated that he killed 40-60 women, and at least 10-15 men over a 40 year period. I believe that most are in drums filled with concrete at Elephant Butte Lake. Some of these drums, including the one that I saw him set after the big “party” are out of the water and sitting on the beach….The drought has lowered the lake levels substantially. The pistol that I found had two spent cases and two live rounds “coming up” in the cylinder. The trap door was open. Of course I told the State Police investigators about the gun too, but they were completely uninterested. They did not see the use in having a murder weapon if there were no bodies.

So there is my story of “metallic forensic evidence”. I will post a link to David Parker Ray on Wikipedia if any of you are interested in knowing more. There are a couple of books out there about it too, and all you have to do is Google “David Parker Ray” and you will hear many of the shocking details about this freak and serial killer. Oh, and tonight, if I can get a connection from the house, I will post a photo of the pistol that he shot Marie Parker with after she was strangled on July 4th, 1998.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Parker_Ray

Bedrock Bob

Guest bedrock bob

Here is a photo of the pistol from the bottom of the lake. I bet that that cove holds more of them if what they say about this guy is true at all. Should be a cinch to find them as what used to be 5-25 feet below the surface is high and dry now.

Bob

post-21188-126040784416_thumb.jpg

Bob,

If I lived near that lake (I think) my curiosity would have me figuring out how to pry open one of the 55 gallon drums in question. Or bring in some big media types and let them investigate it. But knowing me, I'd be down there. Now that the guy is gone the danger should be gone too. But I do know how small towns operate and sometimes it is best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Ant Man

Guest bedrock bob

I had to Google "Dexter Morgan" to figure that one out..sorry, I dont own a T.V. At least that fellow is fictional!

Ol' David Parker Ray was said to have raped several hundred women in his life...Maybe a thousand. And killed almost a hundred. I dont believe that he was ever arrested before 1999. He terrorized the women in the town of T or C for many, many years.

Good riddance! Hopefully, sooner or later, society will be to the point that this type of monster cant get by with this type of stuff for 40 years. If these ladies had any place to turn, or someone they felt that they could trust that would get something done about the situation I am sure that some of them would have come forward. Even after he was arrested only two women came forward to testify...Not the two that I know he raped... And all those unsolved dissappearances that no one will ever know what happened. What a sad story!

It was no secret in that town that he was doing some very twisted things. He says he kept a woman tied up in his "playhouse" almost all the time, and he would get a "fresh one" every month or two. Some real quick math will tell you that this is MANY victims. He even had a training video made and an intake and release system, so that it would be easier to handle all of the organization problems a fellow would have when abducting this many women. The story is just plain incredible! And to think it was all hapening just a few feet from where we were enjoying our weekends and had many families with many pretty girls and women in attendance. I am so thankful that nothing happened to any of our friends, relatives and children spending so much time so close to this freak!

Bobby

• 3 weeks later...

Bob, after this summer I'm moving out to AZ. Pz on how small towns operate. I would be happy to come over and help. Want to bet others at those parties were involved. I'm still in action for 3 weeks. I could run ownership of the gun. Who knows where that may end up or what that would drag you into.

Guest bedrock bob

Bob, after this summer I'm moving out to AZ. Pz on how small towns operate. I would be happy to come over and help. Want to bet others at those parties were involved. I'm still in action for 3 weeks. I could run ownership of the gun. Who knows where that may end up or what that would drag you into.

What would you need? Description and serial number?

Yeah, there are probably more folks on the guilty side than victims...and there were a lot of victims. And in this neck of the woods you are not talking about more than a few thousand people in a hundred mile radius. The gene pool is small and someone has peed in it. The likelihood of finding out a distant cousin is involved is very real...for about 50% of the population!

It is really creepy, but it makes a heck of a story dont you think? How could a fellow get by with that kind of stuff for so long in such a small place without a few friends to keep it all smoothed over?

If'n you ran the numbers and it turned out to be stolen, you would need to follow up? I dont want to loose my morbid little trophy even though it is a little freaky!

Bob

• 11 months later...

I keep coming back to this story, as well as others. I use to be around a lot of therapeutic cult deprogramming and other abuse related stuff. Now days I'm only a researcher and a moderator in a forum on the topic. It is so very common for officials to be involved in this stuff also. Thanks for a public posting of your take on this one.

My question is: why are there so many people into b&d and or s&m in t or c? wierd.

b&d and s&m in t or c?

That is some crazy shorthand!

There is certainly a special flavor to T or C and Elephant Butte. But I dont think there is any more depravity there per capita than anywhere else. For so many years it has been a haven for people who didnt have a whole lot of money. It is two notches above Slab City for a lot of people. The average citizen is a little plain but I dont believe there are any more David Parker Rays there.

Man I hope not!

I suppose that the influence of a madman like that would poison some people and really bring out the bad in them. That creep's wierdness probably multiplied to a certain extent I guess. And there is a problem with meth in the community and that really brings out the worst in a small town. It sure keeps families weak and supplies a lot of victims for people who have twisted motives.

It is too darn bad that there is that kind of evil in the world. But I am certainly thankful that it only comes around once in a while.