Nugget Shooter Forums

Getting Ready For Mud Flows

Micro Nugget

I live one block east of Ocean View Blvd. directly below the summer fires up in the San Gabriel Mountains. Evacuation orders already have been issued to some folks higher up the hill. Given the volume of rain dropping and more expected throughout the week, there is a possibility of a major mud flow comparable to the historic event in 1934 that swept away all but one of the houses on our street. Beyond more immediate concerns, I've been pondering about how this will impact metal detecting afterwards. Household items [and even bones] have surfaced for years after the 1934 catastrophe. I'll keep you posted as things develop.

I live one block east of Ocean View Blvd. directly below the summer fires up in the San Gabriel Mountains. Evacuation orders already have been issued to some folks higher up the hill. Given the volume of rain dropping and more expected throughout the week, there is a possibility of a major mud flow comparable to the historic event in 1934 that swept away all but one of the houses on our street. Beyond more immediate concerns, I've been pondering about how this will impact metal detecting afterwards. Household items [and even bones] have surfaced for years after the 1934 catastrophe. I'll keep you posted as things develop.

I was watching that on the news. Is that the "station" fire you live near? They are ready to evacuate at a moments notice, from what I have heard.

Hope all goes well.

Sounds a little scary. Good luck and whatever you do...don't "go with the flow!"

Jason

Watch your 6, mud flows are nasty, not to mention very deadly.

Hope your home / auto insurance is all in good order.

Hey Micro Nugget.

I have a small loader (Bobcat T180) if you need help.

post-5635-12602335619_thumb.jpg

As of this morning it appears most everything has held. I've got solid ice in my backyard birdbaths and such, but the rain never really got intense -- just 1.1 inches over a 6 hour period. In 1933 a similar autumn fire had burned through the San Gabriels. Then, beginning during the evening of December 31, 1933 12 inches fell in less than 24 hours. The January 1st Rose Parade had to be cancelled in Pasadena the next morning [a very rare occasion] and mud with boulders the size of automobiles came sliding down Ocean View Avenue and several other streets, wiping out over 200 homes and burying dozens alive. Since then the Corps of Engineers in 1938 installed flood control channels with catch basins. About 10 days ago while Jill and I were away visiting the daughter in Texas it rained here -- measly .2 inches. But it fell very intensely in about a five minute burst. Every catch basin was completely filled in with mud, ash and debris. So if we get hammered by a real "frog strangler" no one knows just what will happen. Tujunga [a few miles to the west] also is in jeopardy. Those canyons, at least, hold a "golden" lining which should make for some exciting metal detecting later in the season.

Martin,

I hope the rain stays light up there. Let me know if you need a hand with a shovel or anything.

Ant Man