Nugget Shooter Forums

Thinking of Jim Smaller

Howdy All Today I attended an outing at Franconia in memory of our good friend PALEFACE.He was looking down on us as we detected for meteorites. Estile,Jim and Mark came in this evening with mereorites that were over 500 gms, each as Allen's 500 gm. scale overloaded on allof them. They will send pictures and actual weight later.Freds chilli was a great hit at the evening meal as the wind was blowing a cool breeze at the camp. Most everyone found some chrondrites and iorns.Thanks Jim for guiding us through another Meteorite hunt.Harry and Maureen

HOWDY ALL.Maureen and I went out again today huntin for some space rocks. I started off the day with a 303.6 grammer.After a break for lunch I worked My way down hill and found my biggest chrondrite ever. It overloaded the 500 gm. scale like the three found yesterday. Maureen found a 86.3 grammer late in the day and I found a 9.5 gm on the way back to the atv. will post some pic's later.

Harry and Maureen

Hi Harry and everyone,

It was great meeting all of you! I wish dad and I could have stuck around longer. Thanks for sharing the food. We didn't know there was going to be a potluck, or we would have brought something... I had some of that excellent chili and one of the cookies. It helped keep us going on the long drive home. By the way, the Quartzsite truck stop had my iPod Touch!!! I was really praying because I spent 15 weeks in Africa this past spring, and it had all my notes in it. I'll now take the time and transcribe it all into my computer or onto paper... I could care less about the iPod, but those notes are very important to me...

Anyways, I ended up finding my largest meteorite on Saturday! It overloaded Harry's scale, but we were able to get a weight (I think on Allen's scale). It was 437.9 grams. A lot more than Stan and I thought... I just couldn't believe it. I thought it was a bullet because it was pretty far down and I just didn't expect to find a buried one.

4165243746_e61ee7d158_b.jpg

4165246666_27f4196793_b.jpg

It was great to meet you Harry, Stan, Del, Jim and the others. I was hoping to see John B., Dennis Wells (who I met at Franconia) and Ruben. It was great getting to hunt with Nate again, and to see Bob Verish and meet his friend. Hopefully I'll get to see you all in the field again soon. I hope you guys post that photo and add names - I'm really bad with names...

Happy hunting, and I hope everyone found some nice ones!

Mark Bowling

Vail, AZ

<Edit> wow, those are large images, I hope that's not a problem...

Also, my dad (Ken or K.G.) wants to know the name of the guy with the dog. We both are bad with names. ;-) We really enjoyed visiting with you all. Our kind of folks...

Mark

Harry and Mark, Well welcome to the forum and congratulations on your find!!!! That is a great way to start, and a beauty to boot!!!!

It sounds like everyone had a great time and found some nice meteorites. I wish I could have been there to pay my respects to Jim, but have always respected him and will always continue too. I may plan a trip down there in the next few weeks to see what's left. :shrug: :shrug: The gold bug still has me in it's power, but my heart lies with meteorites. Congrats to all who found some, Jason. ;)

Mark.Tell your Dad that the name of the guy that is the owner of the dog named Sally is the one and only Estile Hunt.He doesn't have a computer But i can relay any Info to him. Nice pic's . I'm still trying to get My pic's to download of my biggest meteorite ever.

Harry

Aloha Mark,

437 grams!speechless-smiley-040[1].gif

Now arnt you glad you got off the ridge and followed me down to that flat area!! I am definitely going back to see if the other half is still lying around somewhere. Will definitely keep in touch.

Have a Mele Kalikimaka and a Hauoli Makahiki Hou.

Aloha and be safe as usual.

Stan aka kaimi

Thanks Jason, I'm sure we'll meet up at some point. It was nice meeting you also Frank. My dad had a really great time (as did I).

Stan, yeah I'm glad we went through that area. I was expecting an iron, not a stone that big! I thought sure it was a bullet... I haven't talked to Nate yet to see how he made out on Sunday.

Thanks Harry, dad enjoyed talking with Estile a lot. I look forward to seeing your pics, especially the group shot.

Happy hunting all! And Merry Christmas & happy New Year if I don't see you all (or as Stan would say have a Mele Kalikimaka and a Hauoli Makahiki Hou). ;-)

Mark

I had the large meteorite that I found at Franconia weighed at the post office in Quartzite yesterday and it weighted 1.666 lbs. The one Estile found the day before was 1.375 lbs.

Harry

Harry, I'll bet Jim was smiling on all the meteorites found. Your's is definitely a Honker... Congrats!!!. I plan on making a trip there soon, once school is out on break. I have a lot of catching up to do.... Jason ;)

Wow!!! Nice finds yall! Looks like Jim sent some great luck down upon you guys!! Congrats on your great meteorites. Good luck on the next time out!

Dean

Beautiful, Harry...but you forgot to send me the gps co'ords...for the ones you didn't get...

Fred

The detector is on it's way to Minelab, if you are still in quartzsite when it returns...perhaps we could get together...

fred

Fred,that sounds like a great idea. Keep in touch.

Harry