Nugget Shooter Forums

Welcome home my brother

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please take a few moments to watch this extraordinary video of one man, > > placing one flag every mile across the US for every one of our > > military who gave their lives serving this

SIX BOYS & 13 HANDS   

0930 here so it's 0530 CST and I haven't found any mention on the Internet of Pearl Harbor Day. Being PC doesn't erase it from my memory. Thanks to all who gave all and those that survived that terr

Posted Images

Marine's final act of valor saved friend from plane wreck

post-300-0-68986800-1337035098_thumb.jpg

• Marine Austin Anderson during a 2010 interview for a student-produced documentary at Oral Roberts University (Vimeo/Brooke Ninowski)

An Oklahoma Marine made the ultimate sacrifice when he pulled a friend out of a fiery plane wreck, saving her life but suffering fatal burns over 90 percent of his body.

Friends of Hannah Luce, the lone survivor of Friday's crash of a twin-engine Cessna 401 just northwest of Chanute, Kan., hailed Austin Anderson as a hero who gave his life without a second thought. The pair was among five young adults bound from Tulsa for a Christian youth group conference in Iowa.

“He is a very tough guy, but once you got to know he was such much of a teddy bear,” Lauren Rockett said of the man she got to know at Oral Roberts University. “It would be totally like Austin's character.”

“It would be totally like Austin's character.”

- Lauren Rockett, friend of hero Austin Anderson

Three companions aboard the flight, Stephen Luth, Luke Sheets and Garrett Coble, died instantly, but Anderson, 27, and Luce, 22, survived the crash. Luce was trapped inside the burning fuselage, but Anderson managed to pull her out and guide her to a nearby road. Luce had a passerby call her father while they waited for an ambulance, which then took them to a Wichita hospital. Anderson died there early Saturday morning.

Hannah is being treated for severe burns over 28 percent of her body. She was scheduled to undergo skin graft surgery on Monday.

"The way I discovered about my daughter and the plane accident was probably the most unscripted way you could imagine," Ron Luce said Sunday during a news conference at University of Kansas Hospital. "I asked [the woman], where's the plane? She said it's off in the distance, and there are flames, there's smoke."

Luce said he asked his daughter about reports that Anderson had pulled her from the wreckage, but "she just began to tear up" and didn't respond.

"I know Austin, he's that kind of guy," Ron Luce said. "He served two tours in Iraq, and he was willing to give his life for his country. He was willing to give his life for a friend. He was always willing to go that extra mile."

Anderson had just being hired for a Christian group called Teen Mania. Rockett said she wasn't surprised when she heard Anderson had saved a life with little regard for his own. Rockett’s classmate, Brooke Ninowski, created a documentary more than a year ago about Anderson’s life for a class assignment. In the film, Anderson spoke of feeling "fearless" because he has God’s help.

“That's one of the only comforting thoughts that he knew before he died, that he had a relationship with God," said Rockett.

Anderson served in Iraq before attending Oral Roberts University, where Luce also attended and graduated from last year with a degree in theology.

The five were flying to an "Acquire the Fire" Christian rally in Council Bluffs, Iowa. It was the last of 33 such events this year held across the U.S. by Teen Mania Ministries, which was founded 25 years ago by Ron Luce, with the goal of reaching out to troubled youths. The ministry is based in Garden Valley, Texas, where the Luce family lives.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/14/marine-commits-final-act-valor-saving-friend-from-plane-wreck/#ixzz1ut1BoTu0

Vietnam war hero to receive posthumous Medal of Honor 42 years later

When the Army told Spc. Leslie H. Sabo Jr.'s widow about his death, they said he'd been a shot by a sniper while guarding an ammunition dump somewhere in Vietnam. The Army knows now that wasn’t true. He was killed during an act of heroism.

It was May 10, 1970, in Se San, Cambodia. Spc. Leslie H. Sabo Jr. and his platoon were ambushed by a large enemy force. The 22-year-old riflemen from Ellwood City, Pa., charged the enemy position, killing several soldiers, and then attacked an enemy flanking force, drawing fire away from his comrades.

As the enemy retreated, a grenade landed near Sabo and a wounded American soldier. Sabo picked it up and threw it, while shielding his comrade with his own body. The grenade blast badly injured Sabo, but he continued to charge the bunker.

Crawling towards the enemy stronghold he was shot multiple times by automatic weapons fire. When he managed to reach the opening of the bunker, he tossed in a grenade, silencing all enemy fire. Unfortunately, that same Grenade also ended Sabo's life.

Sabo had proposed to his high school sweetheart, Rose Mary Sabo-Brown, just 2 years earlier in June 1968. Less than a month after the proposal he was drafted, but the Army let him return to Ellwood City to get married. He only had a month with his wife before returning to the war. That would be the last time they saw each other.

Rose Mary and her brother-in-law, George Sabo, will be at the White House on Wednesday to accept the Medal of Honor, the military's highest award for bravery, on behalf of Spc. Sabo for his actions on that day in 1970.

"His indomitable courage and complete disregard for his own safety saved the lives of many of his platoon members," the White House said in a written statement.

"A piece of metal won't bring back my husband," Sabo-Brown told the Pittsburgh Tribune-review in a recent interview. "But my heart beams with pride for Leslie, because he's finally getting what's due to him. I will show it proudly for him for the rest of my life."

At the time Sabo was drafted, Sabo-Brown begged him to ignore the draft notice, but Sabo refused. He told her that his family was torn apart by communism in his native Hungary, and that he felt an obligation to fight against it. He said he understood the reason for the war.

In an interview with Soldier's magazine, Sabo's widow said she knew something was wrong when she stopped receiving letters.

"I felt it," she told the military magazine. "I didn't get a letter that whole week. From May 10 on I didn't get a letter. I said, 'Something happened. Something happened. He's not writing.' He was already dead."

On the day the Army told her about her husband's death, they said he'd been a shot by a sniper while guarding an ammunition dump somewhere in Vietnam.

The Army knows now that wasn't true. He was killed during an act of heroism.

Sabo-Brown says she plans to keep a replica of the Medal of Honor on display in her home and the actual medal in a safe deposit box.

There's one more person who has yet to be mentioned in many press accounts of this story who deserves some credit for Wednesday's ceremony at the White House. If it wasn't for Alton Mabb, an Army veteran of the Vietnam War who discovered Sabo's story 30 years after it happened, there probably wouldn't be any ceremony.

While doing research for a military publication in 1999, Mabb found a box from the National Archives that contained stacks of papers detailing Sabo's actions and recommending him for the Medal of Honor. Mabb took those papers to Congress and put Sabo's story back into consideration for the nation's top military honor.

The Army admits the reason the award is being given four decades later is because Sabo's story "more or less fell through the cracks."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/16/medal-honor-vietnam-hero-42-years-later/#ixzz1v29SYGmY

Sabo's widow and brother will be at the White House on Wednesday to accept the Medal of Honor, the military's highest award for bravery, on Sabo's behalf for his actions on that fateful May day in 1970.

post-300-0-65696100-1337169707_thumb.jpg

An undated newspaper article announces the Sabo family's arrival to the U.S.

post-300-0-66807000-1337169854_thumb.jpg

Spc. Leslie H. Sabo Jr. is shown with an M-60 machine gun and ruck during his service with Company B, 3rd Battalion, 506th Infantry, 101st Airborne Division

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/slideshow/2012/05/15/vietnam-hero-awarded-medal-honor-42-years-later/#slide=8#ixzz1v28x01aX

• 2 weeks later...

post-300-0-22231100-1339199067_thumb.jpg

John Donovan, seen on right on the bottom row of the group picture, went missing in action after a flight mission in the south Pacific. His remains will be laid to rest on Friday.

The remains of a 20-year-old Marine killed in action on an island in the Pacific finally made it home to his Michigan family, just as the nation was recognizing the 68th anniversary of D-Day.

Two months after the June 6, 1944, Normandy Invasion, Pfc. John A. Donovan and his bomber squadron flew a training mission on the south Pacific island known as Espiritu Santo -- the largest island in the nation now known as Vanuatu, off the east coast of Australia. Donovan, a radio gunner, and the rest of the crew never returned to base from the night mission. He and the rest of the bomber squadron were declared missing in action after their aircraft lost communication and crashed on the side of a mountain.

'There is definitely a sense of closure.'

- Tim Donovan, nephew of long-lost Marine John Donovan

Fifty years later, a privately-funded research team stumbled upon the crash, prompting a more thorough investigation. From 2009-2011, the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command -- a group that conducts search-and-recovery operations for Americans from past conflicts -- scoured the area to recover additional remains. They brought back enough for Donovan to have a proper burial.

"I never thought I would see the day that my brother would return," Donovan’s only living sibling, Josephine Demianenko, 83, told the Detroit Free Press.

Researchers identified the long-lost crew from dog tags, bone samples, equipment and plane parts. Matching the remains to DNA samples from the fallen crew's families, including Donovan's brother, Will Donovan, confirmed the identities.

“We were very surprised and relieved," John Donovan's nephew, Tim Donovan, told FoxNews.com.

Donovan’s remains were recently flown over from the POW/MIA site in Hawaii to Michigan for burial.

“There is definitely a sense of closure,” Tim Donovan said.

Donovan will receive a funeral with full military honors on Friday and will be buried next to his brothers at a cemetery in Ann Arbor.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/07/on-d-day-anniversary-marine-lost-in-wwii-finally-comes-home/?test=latestnews?test=latestnews#ixzz1xFTIj5pb

YOU MAY HAVE SEEN THIS BEFORE, BUT IT IS WORTH ANOTHER READ AND PASSING ON.

post-300-0-86819800-1339444632_thumb.jpg

In MEMORIAM - 67 YEARS LATER

Please read the little cartoon carefully, it's powerful.

Then read the comments at the end.

I'm doing my small part by forwarding this message.

I hope you'll consider doing the same.

In Memoriam

post-300-0-42402700-1339444706_thumb.jpg

It is now more than 60 years after the Second World War in Europe ended. This e-mail is being sent as a memorial chain, in memory of the six million Jews, 20 million Russians, 10 million Christians and 1,900 Catholic priests who were murdered, massacred, raped, burned, starved and humiliated with the German and Russian Peoples looking the other way!

Now, more than ever, with Iraq , Iran , and others, claiming the Holocaust to be 'a myth,' it's imperative to make sure the world never forgets, because there are others who would like to do it again.

This e-mail is intended to reach 40 million people worldwide!

Join us and be a link in the memorial chain and help us distribute it around the world.

Please send this e-mail to people you know and ask them to continue the memorial

• 3 weeks later...

Another hero in uniform....Utah state trooper plunges 90 feet to death while rescuing 2 teens

post-300-0-39229900-1341165586_thumb.png

• This photo shows Utah State Trooper Aaron Beesley. (Fox 13)

SALT LAKE CITY – A 13-year veteran of the Utah Highway Patrol fell to his death from a 90-foot cliff Saturday while rescuing two teenagers on Mount Olympus.

Fox 13 reports 34-year-old Aaron Beesley fell while participating in an aerial search and rescue mission for two teenage hikers on the Mount Olympus trail.

Aerial crews located and rescued the two teenagers, and Beesley was left to wait at the top of the mountain until the crews could return for him.

Officials tell Fox 13 they believe Beesley may have dropped his pack and when he went to retrieve it, lost his footing and plunged the 90 feet to his death.

Rescue crews found Beesley about 45 minutes later at the bottom of the cliff.

“The trooper died while engaged in a heroic effort to save two individuals,” UPD Sheriff James Winder tells Fox 13.

Beesley leaves behind a wife and three children, a 7-year-old and 5-year-old twin boys.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/01/utah-state-trooper-plunges-0-feet-to-death-while-rescuing-2-teens/?intcmp=trending#ixzz1zOYXX0Xu

This was sent to me in an e-mail, so I thought I would share this with all of you.

It seems fitting to do so as we have a special holiday tomorrow. When you watch it feel for this poor woman that has suffered in not knowing for 68 years or so, what happened to her husband, a WW II pilot, because our Gov't dropped the notification to her.

AND, how the locals overseas honored him.

http://www.wimp.com/missinghusband/

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It’s amazing that something with no vulgarity can be one of the most insulting and powerful messages to Obama that I have seen to date

post-300-0-86511100-1344606758_thumb.jpg

NOT RACIST...NOT VIOLENT...JUST NOT SILENT ANY MORE!

• 1 month later...

post-300-0-25792000-1347554160_thumb.jpg

Glen Doherty, a former Navy SEAL from Massachusetts, was one of the victims of the deadly attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, a family friend confirmed to Fox News.

Doherty is the latest victim to be identified. The U.S. government earlier confirmed that U.S. Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and Sean Smith, a foreign service information management officer, died in the attack.

The name of the fourth American who died in the attack has not been disclosed.

The Boston Globe first reported that Doherty was among the victims. His sister told the Globe that Doherty, 42, was working for a private company providing security at the time.

A former ski instructor in Utah, Doherty reportedly trained as a sniper and medical officer after joining the Navy SEALs. He served for seven years before leaving to work at the private security firm.

Based on an account of the Benghazi attack provided by senior administration officials, Doherty was one of two people who died while trying to take cover from gunfire in the annex near the main U.S. consulate building. At least three others were wounded in the attack.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/13/former-navy-seal-identified-as-embassy-attack-victim/#ixzz26Mtn3xrW

Update.....two former Navy SEALs were killed.....

Two of the four Americans killed in the assault on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi have been identified as former Navy SEALs.

A source confirmed to Fox News on Thursday that one of the victims was Tyrone Woods, a 41-year-old former SEAL.

Glen Doherty, a former Navy SEAL from Massachusetts, was one of the other victims in the deadly attack, according to a family friend.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/13/former-navy-seal-identified-as-embassy-attack-victim/#ixzz26Oa0QeMO