Nugget Shooter Forums
wjbell

Need a little help with my GM3

Ok so I went to the river today to test it out in a different environment. I was using it on an old, large bar where the river bends. Now I think I have it ground balanced right, here's what I do:

1. Put GEB course and fine both at exactly halfway.

2. Iron ID and signal boost both off.

3. Put VSAT just just above where it clicks on, about the 9 0'clock position.

4. The frequency all the way counterclockwise to the crystal lock position.

5. Threshold all the way off.

A. Gain is set about 3/4 where it doesn't overload when too close to the ground.

B. Hold it up in the air and turn up threshold until I start hearing a constant sound, kind of faint and a little broken, but constant.

C. Pump it on the ground, going from 5 inches to an inch or so and adjust the course until it's close from the sound not changing on the up or down stroke. Fine tune it from there. I read that setting it a little bit to where it slightly changes on the down stroke gives you some better depth, so that's what I did today.

So that's how I'm setting it up. Is that right?

My problem is, there's SO MANY hot rocks and hot soil it's making my machine signal every couple of feet. MOST of the time I can turn iron ID on and it will have the broken signal letting me know it's iron, not gold. But sometimes if it's just soil setting it off, it won't give the broken signal.

Here's an example. After getting tired hearing a target every 6 inches, I moved onto a huge area of bedrock exposed on the hillside. there was a little boil hole in the middle of solid bedrock filled with dirt. I passed over it, signal. Turned on iron ID, signal was solid. So I cleaned the hole out completely and put all the sand/dirt a foot from the hole. Passed over the hole, no signal. Passed over the pile, signal. OK, good. And it was giving a strong signal. Spread all that dirt out on the bedrock and went through it VERY carefully. No metal, no lead fishing weights, no gold, NADA. Just dirt!

So what the hell? I thought the whole purpose of gold machines compared to coin machines is that they have circuitry to deal with ground mineralization? I think mine's ground balanced right, still it gives signals when nothing is there. I don't get it. I know I'm new to detecting so I can't assume I've got it dialed in, or even know how to use it 100% yet. But still, come on... at this point I could just leave the detector at home and just go out and dig holes every couple feet not finding squat. Cause that's what I'm doing now. :yuk-yuk:

So, help! What am I doing wrong? ;)

Guest bedrock bob

The mysterious disappering target? probably one of two things...

1) A fault in target recovery-

You can loose little targets really easy. One can bounce out of your hand or out of the scoop and fly a foot out of your pile. A "BB" will roll under a rock and disappear. If it went "rip-rip" then it was something. Nuggets are sneaky. Sometimes they bite and then get away. A tiny flake of gold right at the edge of your detector's (or your) capability are the targets that teach you the most! They are also the ones that are the most difficult.

I use only my hand to locate the target. I dig until the target moves and then "massage" that spoils pile really good. It isnt enough to know you moved it, you gotta INVESTIGAGTE with that coil until you know in your minds eye exactly where it is and then grab at it. I can usually get it in two or three grabs with the VLF detectors. Then I run it over the hand to make sure I hear it, and then let it slide from my hand slowly onto the coil. When it beeps then it is laying on the coil. Dump the coil back on your hand and do it again. You get the idea. That is just the way that I do it but most fellers use a scoop like Mike talked about last night.

Now... I use a Neodymium magnet in the end of a pick. Sometimes while I am digging a target will dissappear and I look around frustrated for it. IT STUCK TO THE MAGNET...DUH! So targets do dissapear sometimes.

2) Ground balance-

Ground balance can cause things that are not targets to sound a lot like targets. Keep at it, you will ge the hang of it in a few mre hours of frustration. Keep that thing ground balanced and put the coil down in five or six places around you to insure it is good on the average ground and not in just that one spot. Then, if you get a repeatable signal, dig it. If it disappears sometimes it is the ground you are digging (red clay, old fire ashes, some really noisy rhyolite tuff...etc.). When you get it dug it disappears. Then sometimes the signal just keeps getting better and better and then you relaize that you are detecting the HOLE. Your machine is a little "negative" and going over the hole is like raising the coil away from the ground...Did ya get that? Those are some of the main frustration when dealing with a VLF machine.

Keep at it. If you are in a gold bearing area close enough that you can go out in the afternoons and hunt you will definitely get good quick and you will find gold faster too. The secret is staying at it until you get the machine all figured out and you can locate and recover tiny targets with efficiency. If'n you find a piece of gold before you get really good at the machine you are blessed. If you dont then it is going to be a lot of work. Either way, sooner or later, you will figure out the machine. Sooner or later you will also find a nugget.

The mysterious disappering target? probably one of two things...

1) A fault in target recovery-

You can loose little targets really easy. One can bounce out of your hand or out of the scoop and fly a foot out of your pile. A "BB" will roll under a rock and disappear. If it went "rip-rip" then it was something. Nuggets are sneaky. Sometimes they bite and then get away. A tiny flake of gold right at the edge of your detector's (or your) capability are the targets that teach you the most! They are also the ones that are the most difficult.

I use only my hand to locate the target. I dig until the target moves and then "massage" that spoils pile really good. It isnt enough to know you moved it, you gotta INVESTIGAGTE with that coil until you know in your minds eye exactly where it is and then grab at it. I can usually get it in two or three grabs with the VLF detectors. Then I run it over the hand to make sure I hear it, and then let it slide from my hand slowly onto the coil. When it beeps then it is laying on the coil. Dump the coil back on your hand and do it again. You get the idea. That is just the way that I do it but most fellers use a scoop like Mike talked about last night.

Now... I use a Neodymium magnet in the end of a pick. Sometimes while I am digging a target will dissappear and I look around frustrated for it. IT STUCK TO THE MAGNET...DUH! So targets do dissapear sometimes.

2) Ground balance-

Ground balance can cause things that are not targets to sound a lot like targets. Keep at it, you will ge the hang of it in a few mre hours of frustration. Keep that thing ground balanced and put the coil down in five or six places around you to insure it is good on the average ground and not in just that one spot. Then, if you get a repeatable signal, dig it. If it disappears sometimes it is the ground you are digging (red clay, old fire ashes, some really noisy rhyolite tuff...etc.). When you get it dug it disappears. Then sometimes the signal just keeps getting better and better and then you relaize that you are detecting the HOLE. Your machine is a little "negative" and going over the hole is like raising the coil away from the ground...Did ya get that? Those are some of the main frustration when dealing with a VLF machine.

Keep at it. If you are in a gold bearing area close enough that you can go out in the afternoons and hunt you will definitely get good quick and you will find gold faster too. The secret is staying at it until you get the machine all figured out and you can locate and recover tiny targets with efficiency. If'n you find a piece of gold before you get really good at the machine you are blessed. If you dont then it is going to be a lot of work. Either way, sooner or later, you will figure out the machine. Sooner or later you will also find a nugget.

Thanks Bob. I'm going to check both of those things out thoroughly. I'm pretty sure it wasn't loss of target, I fanned the material out pretty thin on the bedrock and looked through it. Still giving me a strong signal. It's got to be ground balance. I'm half thinking it could be a bad machine but there are no signs that it's been beat up so I don't know. It's like brand new.

I think what I'll do is next time I go out I'll do a video to show my settings and exactly what it's doing and in what conditions. That way you guys can see what's happening and tell me if something wrong, or it's user error. :inocent:

I'm also thinking of calling up Whites and seeing if I can send in the main unit and coil for a "check up". See if it's operating as it's suppose to.

Saturday I'll probably go out to the same place and make a video. I'll post it up and see what everyone thinks. In the meantime if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks guys for the help!

HEY WJBELL,

YOUR PROBLEM IS NOT HAVING YOUR GM3 GROUND BALANCED CORRECTLY, BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE DOING THAT OK. YOUR PROBLEM IS TWO FOLD. 1. YOU HAVE THE MACHINE SET WAY TOO HOT AND 2.AS A NEW NUGGET SHOOTER YOU ARE HUNTING IN EXTREMELY DIFFICULT GROUND FOR A BEGINNER.

LETS TAKE FIRST THINGS FIRST. KEEP YOUR SIGNAL BOOST OFF BUT HAVING THE IRON DISC. ON HAS NO BEARING ON YOUR MACHINE. I KEEP MY IRON DISC. ON ALL THE TIME. YOUR VSAT SETTING IS OK BUT THE CLOSER TO OFF THE BETTER. THE HIGHER IT IS SET, THE LESS DEPTH YOU WILL GET. HOWEVER, THIS IS DETERMINED BY HOW HOT THE GROUND IS THAT YOU ARE HUNTING IN. THE HOTTER THE GROUND WITH HOT ROCKS, THE HIGHER YOU WANT TO SET VSAT.

THE FREQUENCY SETTING ALSO HAS NO EFFECT ON YOUR MACHINE'S ERRATIC BEHAVIOR. IT IS SIMPLY USED AS A MEANS TO HUNT WITH OTHER WHITE OWNERS IN CLOSE PROXIMITY. THE WHITE GMT HAS A SET FREQUENCY OF (I BELIEVE 50) SO WHEN I AM WITH SOMEONE WHO RUNS A GMT, I MAKE SURE MY FREQUENCY IS HIGHER. I USUALLY JUST KEEP IT AT 52.

FROM WHAT I GATHER, YOU MAIN PROBLEM AT THIS TIME IS YOUR GAIN SETTING. THE GM3 IS REALLY A HOT MACHINE AND THE HIGHER YOUR GAIN THE WORSE REALLY HOT GROUND WILL BECOME. LARRY SALLEE IN HIS BOOK "ZIP ZIP" EXPLAINS IT BEST. THINK OF HOT MINERALIZED GROUND AS FOG AND THE GAIN AS YOUR HEADLIGHTS. LOW BEAMS (LOW GAIN) LETS YOU SEE FAIRLY WELL WITH LESS GLARE BACK IN YOUR EYES, BUT HIGH BEAMS (HIGH GAIN) REFLECTS MORE GLARE BACK. SO, THE HIGHER THE MINERALIZATION THE LOWER YOUR GAIN SHOULD BE. LESS MINERALIZATION ENABLES ONE TO INCREASE THE GAIN. I USUALLY RUN MY GAIN BETWEEN 3-5. I PERSONALLY CAN'T STAND ALL THE CHATTER ABOVE A GAIN OF 5.

AS FOR NUMBER 2, MY ADVISE TO YOU AS A NEW NUGGET SHOOTER IS TO FIND SOME MILDER GROUND AND HUNT THERE UNTIL YOU LEARN YOUR MACHINE. THE KIND OF GROUND YOU ARE DESCRIBING WOULD DRIVE EVEN THE MOST EXPERIENCED VLF NUGGET SHOOTER CRAZY. THIS IS WHY MINELAB AND OTHERS DEVELOPED THE PULSE INDUCTION DETECTORS.

I HOPE I WAS ABLE TO HELP.

HAPPY HUNTING,

BOB

Boorx4 couldn't have said it better. You have found

the famous Arizona hot ground. I usually run my GM3 at

a 4 or 5 on the gain and in some spots even lower.

Black sand and magnetite will drive you nuts with a

high gain setting.

HEY WJBELL,

YOUR PROBLEM IS NOT HAVING YOUR GM3 GROUND BALANCED CORRECTLY, BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE DOING THAT OK. YOUR PROBLEM IS TWO FOLD. 1. YOU HAVE THE MACHINE SET WAY TOO HOT AND 2.AS A NEW NUGGET SHOOTER YOU ARE HUNTING IN EXTREMELY DIFFICULT GROUND FOR A BEGINNER.

LETS TAKE FIRST THINGS FIRST. KEEP YOUR SIGNAL BOOST OFF BUT HAVING THE IRON DISC. ON HAS NO BEARING ON YOUR MACHINE. I KEEP MY IRON DISC. ON ALL THE TIME. YOUR VSAT SETTING IS OK BUT THE CLOSER TO OFF THE BETTER. THE HIGHER IT IS SET, THE LESS DEPTH YOU WILL GET. HOWEVER, THIS IS DETERMINED BY HOW HOT THE GROUND IS THAT YOU ARE HUNTING IN. THE HOTTER THE GROUND WITH HOT ROCKS, THE HIGHER YOU WANT TO SET VSAT.

THE FREQUENCY SETTING ALSO HAS NO EFFECT ON YOUR MACHINE'S ERRATIC BEHAVIOR. IT IS SIMPLY USED AS A MEANS TO HUNT WITH OTHER WHITE OWNERS IN CLOSE PROXIMITY. THE WHITE GMT HAS A SET FREQUENCY OF (I BELIEVE 50) SO WHEN I AM WITH SOMEONE WHO RUNS A GMT, I MAKE SURE MY FREQUENCY IS HIGHER. I USUALLY JUST KEEP IT AT 52.

FROM WHAT I GATHER, YOU MAIN PROBLEM AT THIS TIME IS YOUR GAIN SETTING. THE GM3 IS REALLY A HOT MACHINE AND THE HIGHER YOUR GAIN THE WORSE REALLY HOT GROUND WILL BECOME. LARRY SALLEE IN HIS BOOK "ZIP ZIP" EXPLAINS IT BEST. THINK OF HOT MINERALIZED GROUND AS FOG AND THE GAIN AS YOUR HEADLIGHTS. LOW BEAMS (LOW GAIN) LETS YOU SEE FAIRLY WELL WITH LESS GLARE BACK IN YOUR EYES, BUT HIGH BEAMS (HIGH GAIN) REFLECTS MORE GLARE BACK. SO, THE HIGHER THE MINERALIZATION THE LOWER YOUR GAIN SHOULD BE. LESS MINERALIZATION ENABLES ONE TO INCREASE THE GAIN. I USUALLY RUN MY GAIN BETWEEN 3-5. I PERSONALLY CAN'T STAND ALL THE CHATTER ABOVE A GAIN OF 5.

AS FOR NUMBER 2, MY ADVISE TO YOU AS A NEW NUGGET SHOOTER IS TO FIND SOME MILDER GROUND AND HUNT THERE UNTIL YOU LEARN YOUR MACHINE. THE KIND OF GROUND YOU ARE DESCRIBING WOULD DRIVE EVEN THE MOST EXPERIENCED VLF NUGGET SHOOTER CRAZY. THIS IS WHY MINELAB AND OTHERS DEVELOPED THE PULSE INDUCTION DETECTORS.

I HOPE I WAS ABLE TO HELP.

HAPPY HUNTING,

BOB

Bob,

Thanks! that's some seriously good insight!

So, the hotter the ground, less gain (counterclockwise) and higher VSAT (clockwise), right? So maybe in my ground conditions I might want to set gain about 5 and VSAT in the 12 or 1 o'clock position? (for starters an adjust from there)

This is really cool stuff. I need to learn more about what metal detectors are doing at a physics level and why things do what... I'll get there...

Thanks for helping out.

There is also a ton of info here on that machine if you do a search... Looks like you already got some good help though.

I had a GM3 a long time ago, and I agree that you may be runing your gain to high. Try turning it down a little at a time to see if this helps, each time testing your detector with a know target, like a small nugget in the 3 grain size or so. Your GM3 is a great and sensitive detector. Youd should have no trouble picking up a small nugget, even in the 1-2 grain size in mild ground. Hot rocks are something one has to deal with in this hobby. That was one reason I added a Minelab GPX 4000 to me stash of detectors, to help with hot rocks. But, even they are not able to get rid of all hot rocks. To a gold nugget hunter, they are the same as pull tabs to the coin hunter - a real pain, but they must be investigated regardless. Good luck.

wjbell see if you can find a book called ZIP ZIP by Larry Sallee. This book was written basically for the GoldMaster detectors.

Rich

With my crs, I'll try to write something that hopefully hasn't already been mentioned in these great threads of yours.

I was reading just yesterday about a guy that used to dredge and would use an underwater detector to locate hot reading spots to dredge and did well with the technique. Being the detector would locate the concentrations of black sands and other heavies I would think, like your reading hot on the boilhole on bedrock.

In both clay and bedrock in hydraulic pits that I detect, I'll find areas or spots that sound hot running 2,3 or more feet in length, my trick for these is to turn myself and the coil sideways (90 degrees) to the hot reading spot and shuffle left and right, this direction is much quieter and when I hear a signal this way, then dig. I've found alot of nuggets and targets this way.

Also, when I began nuggetshooting the mineralisation in clays really tested my perserverance. I'd get a really hot spot thinking it a good target and end up digging a 2x2x2 foot crater then no more signal! Was very frustrating. I still run into higher mineralised spots, probably partly cause I'm lazy to try tuning them out. As i sift through the dug dirt each scoopful sounds off but at a lower volume than the whole hot reading spot.

I can't help you with your new GMT, as I don't have one, I have a different white's machine, but if you would like someone to tag along and detect with you we can compare notes. I'm in the bay area and a newbie like yourself.

OK guys I want out to a tailing pile today. I adjusted it every which way from the VSAT half to all the way up and the gain from half to all the way down. Helped a little, but this machine makes a signal lets say about 1 of every 4 rocks. So on one sweep I get about 3 or 4 sounds. It's absolutely unusable in these conditions. Even faint signals that are solid with the iron desc on once you remove a couple rocks to get closer you hear the broken signal. So I guess the iron desc only works when the signal is strong enough, which make it kind of useless as well in these conditions.

So what environment will this GM3 actually be reasonably usable in? I've been to the river and tailing piles with it and it doesn't seem to be good for those areas. Unfortunately, these are the areas I would be mostly detecting in. So what do I need, a PI machine?

I really hoped this machine would work better at dealing with mineralization, after all it's suppose to be a gold machine, and gold is usually found in mineralized soil, right? Seriously, after one hour of the machine going haywire over every square foot I was scanning I said this is ridiculous. I'm am really surprised and disappointed that the GM3 is so, well crappy.

Any input is appreciated. I'll probably end up putting the GM3 up for sale and looking into other detectors that are better at ignoring what you don't want and finding what you do.

Guest bedrock bob

The GM3 is a great machine. The user needs a few more hours behind the wheel. Sure a PI will be quieter, and it will cost a bunch more and miss the little gold altogether.

Swing slow, concentrate on ground balance, and give it some time. I hunted for days and almost KILLED my first machine because I could not make it behave. After many days of frustration I finally got the hang of it. That same machine that I SWORE was a broken piece of crap found a thousand bucks worth of gold in one day...at $250 per ounce!

The learnign curve is a maddening thing. Stick with it. If ther eis any question just pack up that beeper and send it to Whites for a tune up. I'tll come back beeping like new, and then you will still have to put your hours in to it.

No shortcuts to this hobby man!

Bob

The GM3 is a great machine. The user needs a few more hours behind the wheel. Sure a PI will be quieter, and it will cost a bunch more and miss the little gold altogether.

Swing slow, concentrate on ground balance, and give it some time. I hunted for days and almost KILLED my first machine because I could not make it behave. After many days of frustration I finally got the hang of it. That same machine that I SWORE was a broken piece of crap found a thousand bucks worth of gold in one day...at $250 per ounce!

The learnign curve is a maddening thing. Stick with it. If ther eis any question just pack up that beeper and send it to Whites for a tune up. I'tll come back beeping like new, and then you will still have to put your hours in to it.

No shortcuts to this hobby man!

Bob

Thanks for the reply. I might end up sending it to whites.

I'm a pretty thorough person and am patient up to a point. But there's got to be something wrong with this machine, or it's a piece of sh*t. ;) Once it's ground balanced there's only two things to adjust; gain and VSAT. It ain't rocket surgery.. ;)

Guest bedrock bob

:lol: :lol: No it aint, but the beeps will drive you nuts! We have ALL been there man. There MAY be something wrong with the beeper, but it sounds just like my rant about 25 years ago!

See my post in the DIY forum about "modifying a coil". I told a story about a newby getting frustrated with his noisy detector! Maybe you can glean some good advice from that story!

Bob

Bob,

Thanks! that's some seriously good insight!

So, the hotter the ground, less gain (counterclockwise) and higher VSAT (clockwise), right? So maybe in my ground conditions I might want to set gain about 5 and VSAT in the 12 or 1 o'clock position? (for starters an adjust from there)

This is really cool stuff. I need to learn more about what metal detectors are doing at a physics level and why things do what... I'll get there...

Thanks for helping out.

WJ, You can trust what Bob tells you. We went out yesterday, and he wooped me good. He found 6 nuggtets totaling about 4 to 5 DWT. He knows the GM3. Silver Dog :thumbsupanim

:lol: :lol: No it aint, but the beeps will drive you nuts! We have ALL been there man. There MAY be something wrong with the beeper, but it sounds just like my rant about 25 years ago!

See my post in the DIY forum about "modifying a coil". I told a story about a newby getting frustrated with his noisy detector! Maybe you can glean some good advice from that story!

Bob

I can't find the post, searched the diy forum, could you link it?

Silver Dog: I hear ya. I'm probably jumping the gun ;)

This is something that has not been mentioned and

will cause the same problem that you are having.

How good are the batteries in your machine? I have

one of the last of the GM3 series machines. Once the

charge in the batteries get down to a certain point

it will not ground balance and maintain balance.

It will signal on everything and drive you nuts.

You need all 8 batteries and they need to all have

a uniform charge for the machine to run right. If

you have just one bum battery it won;t deliver a full

12 volts at the right amp level. I don't use rechargable

batteries for the above reason.

The batteries in my machine will run for a long time.

But close to the end of their charge ,you will have to

fiddle more with the balance in hot ground. Put in a fresh

set and it will smooth out and run like a charm .

My GM3 will run smooth in ground that gives our Minelabs

fits. I have pulled gold out of ground that Don couldn't

detect with a 4500 and mono coil because of noise.

The only thing that gives me a problem is lodestone ,it

will signal just like gold. The other hot rocks and other

stuff makes a different signal.

If you have a coil cover,you may want to remove it and

check for black sand that slides around when you swing or

bump a rock. That will cause lots of false signals too.

Check the connection on your coil too. Shake the coil and

listen for loose parts inside.

If the ground is real hot,raise your coil a little and

don't scrub the ground. It will smooth out and still find

gold.

Guest bedrock bob

I can't find the post, searched the diy forum, could you link it?

Silver Dog: I hear ya. I'm probably jumping the gun ;)

I will just repost it...

One of my best friends and my dearest prospecting partner enlisted in the Marines in 1968. They drowned him trying to teach him how to swim and then resussitated him. It made him stutter. They thought it was so funny that they made him a radio man. That made him stutter worse. When I met him in 1978 he could not speak on the phone at all. That is all the background you will need to enjoy this story.

This fellow bought his first metal detector in the early 80's. After a few days listening to the beeping of a GB1 in really hot ground he was frustrated to say the least. I spent the first four or five days with him and my Garett Scorpion, so there is no use detailing how much gold this expedition was producing. My vote was to go home, especially after four nights of sleeping on the frozen ground and as many days learning to find a nugget with a machine that could not. His vote was to stay, and he asked me to leave him there and pick him up the next weekend.

This old boy is a serious survivor, and I simply would not have considered the reqest form anyone else. He knew what he was doing at everything except metal detecting, so I hauled freight to the lowlands and camped by the shower and a BBQ chicken for a few days. When Friday rolled around I was fattened up a bit and ready to go back out, and of course anxious to see how my buddy had fared in those days in the high desert. I never imagined that he could wear headphones connected to any type of electronic apparatus, but he was REALLY into it when I left him. Frustrsted, but determined...He was going to make it happen!

I picked up some food, some beer, and a few cigars for the hell of it and went into the mountains. Coming down the last grade toward our camp I could see him in the old familiar spot on the side of the hill where we had found the coarse gold with the drywasher. As I got closer, I noticed that there was something different about his profile over there...He seemed to be holding something besides a detector. I stopped short of the camp and walked across the arroyo and up the hill behind him. When I got close this is what I saw...

He had the circuit board of the detector in his shirt pocket, with a wire running to the other shirt pocket where the batteries were. There were two leads coming out of the circuit board and one was fastened to each ear with an alligator clip. He had the coil taken apart and wound in a figure eight and duct taped to his chest below the circuit boards. he had two bicycle spokes bent into dowsing rods that he had fitted into handles made from the lower shaft of the detector pole. He was saying a prayer as he walked across the gound.

When he saw me he grinned really big and started yelling about the gold he found. He dug into his pocket and he had two nice big flakes about half the size of a thumbnail each. Maybe a penny and a half each one. He had got tired of listening to "all that beepin noise coming from those cussed headphones" and in desperation he had smashed his detector on the rocks. He then took it apart and took the internal speaker out of it and buried it withthe headphones. Then he calmed down a little and he felt bad about breaking his new detector. So naturally he improvised and rigged it to just "ESP the signals to me". Instead of listening to the beep, he,"Prayed to god that I would find some gold". Well, he did by golly. Found one right there laying on top of the gravel. Amped him up so much he added a pair of dowsing rods to the deal and found another the next day! Laying right on top of the gravel.

Now, that is the story and I believe the story is true. He didnt find any more gold that way, but I darn sure did. Right in that spot I found my first nugget that day with a GB1, and over the next year I found many there. I even found two laying right smack dab on top glistening in the sunlight. Saw 'em before I even got close with the detector. I found three more in a pack rat's nest. Big uns. The rest were between the surface and the frostline no deeper than 3".

So whenever I hear of someone tearing a detector coil apart and re-winding it I think of my stuttering prospecting partner. The man found a patch with a broken detector that made no sound. He also found 26 ounces in about ten minutes with a railroad spike and hammer too, but that is a story for a different day.

Bob

Thanks sawmill. As a matter of fact, I put in 7 new and one questionable battery. I'll check that tonight.

I called whites and he told me to do the same thing with the coil, shake it and make sure the foam inside wasn't broken up or shaking around. He also told me to check the connection and tighten the two screws where the coil connects to the main unit, that's the main ground. Mine were snug but not tight. We'll see if that helped.

There was some grit inside my coil cover. All cleaned out now.

The guy at whites also gave the suggestion to ground balance to the hot rocks so they are not as noticeable. Any opinions on that? Makes sense to me...

This is something that has not been mentioned and

will cause the same problem that you are having.

How good are the batteries in your machine? I have

one of the last of the GM3 series machines. Once the

charge in the batteries get down to a certain point

it will not ground balance and maintain balance.

It will signal on everything and drive you nuts.

You need all 8 batteries and they need to all have

a uniform charge for the machine to run right. If

you have just one bum battery it won;t deliver a full

12 volts at the right amp level. I don't use rechargable

batteries for the above reason.

The batteries in my machine will run for a long time.

But close to the end of their charge ,you will have to

fiddle more with the balance in hot ground. Put in a fresh

set and it will smooth out and run like a charm .

My GM3 will run smooth in ground that gives our Minelabs

fits. I have pulled gold out of ground that Don couldn't

detect with a 4500 and mono coil because of noise.

The only thing that gives me a problem is lodestone ,it

will signal just like gold. The other hot rocks and other

stuff makes a different signal.

If you have a coil cover,you may want to remove it and

check for black sand that slides around when you swing or

bump a rock. That will cause lots of false signals too.

Check the connection on your coil too. Shake the coil and

listen for loose parts inside.

If the ground is real hot,raise your coil a little and

don't scrub the ground. It will smooth out and still find

gold.

wjbell, you got my PM's? Give a try at the hydraulic pit I was telling you about, found my first gold there and have yet to find a better place (still looking and hoping). Clay is easier to detect on, than river gravels and have literally gone days there without having to so much as re ground balance. There are gravel piles too, but nice uniform quartz with no ground balance to concern yourself with. Warn ya, there is alot of steel trash in them too. I've found flakes of gold within 20 to 30 feet of the paved road even, 2 were a quarter inch across. Just don't cross the wire fence or up the private drive. I've talked with locals a number of times over the last 11 years and they never gave me any trouble. If my directions in the PM's was not clear enough, just send me another PM. :thumbsupanim

Another 2 cents :twocents: I just moved back to Concord, but for the last 10 years I was in Sacramento area, (North Highlands, Citrus heights, Antelope) and the pit I've been talking about was 50 minutes away. The two gravel pile areas you have been working, I did try, with no luck on gold, I only tried about 3 days total on them. Back in 2000 I worked over on Folsom Blvd and there were road crews dredging the bottom of American river and the banks to build the bridge over Negro Bar Park. The road crew were dumping the stuff from the bottom of the river along Folsom Blvd across from the tailing piles along the railroad tracks. I had high hopes of finding something of value, but again only old car parts, wires, some aluminum car parts. And I was checking that stuff as they were bringing it, just had to be sure to be out of the way when the truck loads came to dump. Now that the sludge has weathered some you could try there, (and anybody else reading this). Who knows? I'd suggest the side away from the road, don't want to see any car crashes from rubber neckers.

wjbell, you got my PM's? Give a try at the hydraulic pit I was telling you about, found my first gold there and have yet to find a better place (still looking and hoping). Clay is easier to detect on, than river gravels and have literally gone days there without having to so much as re ground balance. There are gravel piles too, but nice uniform quartz with no ground balance to concern yourself with. Warn ya, there is alot of steel trash in them too. I've found flakes of gold within 20 to 30 feet of the paved road even, 2 were a quarter inch across. Just don't cross the wire fence or up the private drive. I've talked with locals a number of times over the last 11 years and they never gave me any trouble. If my directions in the PM's was not clear enough, just send me another PM. :thumbsupanim

Thanks Mike, I'll PM you tomorrow for specifics. I think I've got the place located on a map but I'll double check with ya. I might try to go out there this week.

Sawmill, did you ever get your Minelab PI detector fixed?????

Gary

The last time they sent the detector back,it started

right up and balanced fine. Looked real good until Don

tried it on his test nugget. It wouldn't pick the nugget

up while rubbing it with the coil.

I threw a plastic pill bottle down with 15 grams of

nuggets in it. The machine would barely signal when the

coil scrubbed the bottle. Then it started throwing fits

again .

Don has the machine,but he has been hauling logs 12 to 16

hours a day 6 days a week. He is waiting to get some time

so he can take the detector back in person.

He is a little more than disgusted with Las Vegas and the