Nugget Shooter Forums

Up in smoke

Allen in MT

Was with a friend of mine last week and he has a 4500 that has a loose connection, so I told him lets go to Vegas and Minelab to get if fixed. Well a new connector and a ribbon wire was installed and everything was up to date????????

Went put to Gold Basin this morning.(thur) John hooked up his machine and nothing happened, going back to the truck he heard a beep and looked at the screen and it said flat battery shutdown and then the thing went up in blue smoke comming out of where the battery cable hooks to the control box.

He is going to try and get back in to Minelab Fri morning.

Anyone else had this problem, machine is a year old.

Allen in MT

Obviously the machine was working before it was worked on by the technician. This brings us to the question, is the tech. qualified as an electronic technician, and, or is there a problem with the electronic design of the unit or of its' mechanical construction.

I would believe that working on circuit boards that are covered with paint, would be a nightmare that is the next thing to impossible to work with. If you have never seen a Minelab circuit board, they look like are double dipped in heavy paint after all the parts were assembled.

Dean

Now that's impressive! :thumbsupanim Great news Allen, and thank's for keeping us posted.- Terry

John took the unit back to Minelab Fri. morning and to make a long story short inside of about 30 minutes they called him back in and gave him a new control box.

Didn't find out what went wrong with the 1st repair job. He's a happy camper now.

Allen

Now that's impressive! :thumbsupanim Great news Allen, and thank's for keeping us posted.- Terry

Guys, I just have to add a few things to Allen's description of what happen. There is no way I can describe what goes though your mind when your five thousand dollar metal detector starts belching blue smoke. For one thing you are quite sure it shouldn't be doing it and the second thing you are glad you had sent in the warranty card. I decided to take it to Las Vegas that night so I could be at Minelab at eight Am Friday. Got a room at Arizona Charlies and or course had to play some Black jack. They were nice enough to let me win $1015.00 of their money. Now I am in a whole lot better frame of mind to face Minelab in the AM. Sure enough, I wasn't there thirty minutes when I walked out with a new control box, As Bill said "Now that's service" We are in Quartzsite now and will be moving to Morristown in a few weeks and hope to see a few of you in the desert.

Super story! :thumbsupanim Congratulations on your winnings, :whoope: now show us some gold with that new box! Good Luck and Big Nuggets - Terry

Guys, I just have to add a few things to Allen's description of what happen. There is no way I can describe what goes though your mind when your five thousand dollar metal detector starts belching blue smoke. For one thing you are quite sure it shouldn't be doing it and the second thing you are glad you had sent in the warranty card. I decided to take it to Las Vegas that night so I could be at Minelab at eight Am Friday. Got a room at Arizona Charlies and or course had to play some Black jack. They were nice enough to let me win $1015.00 of their money. Now I am in a whole lot better frame of mind to face Minelab in the AM. Sure enough, I wasn't there thirty minutes when I walked out with a new control box, As Bill said "Now that's service" We are in Quartzsite now and will be moving to Morristown in a few weeks and hope to see a few of you in the desert.

• 2 weeks later...

Great story, Glad to hear that Minelab is on top of things. Doug :thumbsupanim

• 2 weeks later...

Wow--the double win--that rarely happens. It's nice Minelab came through--that's quite refreshing.

All the best,

Lanny