Nugget Shooter Forums

New Mod

Nugget Shooter

See heybeerman...you got put to work...so here goes...what's your thoughts about a

spider gear that locks up for a locking diff?...I've heard that some of the racers

weld them but I don't want to go to that extreme....wet weather is here and I need

to do something to make the Toy a better 4x4....

Garimpo,

If your talking about a Lock Rite or EZ Locker. I say go for it. I have had very good luck with them. They are way more forgiving than an ARB or Detroit, when it comes to the ease of steering or breaking axels.

Plus most of the time you can install them with out pulling the gear carier. 1-2 hour job :-)

I have run one in the front of my rock crawler for years with out problems.

I also ran them front and rear in my 1993 Dodge Cummings Dually work truck. I had that truck for 4 years and almost 300,000 miles.

I did wear the rear one out in my Dually after 100,000 miles or so. I think it was just too much for it with all that tire traction. Plus I pulled a heavy tri axel trailer all the time with it so the tires were pinned to the asphalt.

The nice thing was it did not compleatley fail. It took a few months, I could feel it unlocking & locking so it was no suprise and I had plent of time to replace it.

Blake

I have a request for you heybeerman. Make people post more stuff in this thread!! I love the DIY section.

Morning Blake...the Lock Rite was the one I was thinking about...when I was in OKC

in Oct. I talked to the 4x4 people there and they said just what you have said..

since I drive about 35,000 miles a year..about 50% is on asphalt in the city...50%

on dirt and of that 50% about 2% is when I need the extra traction...my thoughts are

put the Lock Rite in the front and it would only be working when I had the hubs locked

and I'm in 4x4...is that correct?...also are the splines and number of teeth the same

in front as in the back?...from what the guys in OKC

said this is a simple installation that is a good

DIY project...do you agree?...

Jagdoc I agree,

This would be a good place to get help on anything, not just gold related.

Garimpo eaither axel would work good, they are so much more forgiving than a Detroit that it will not bother you at all on the street in the rear axel. Plus with it on the rear axel it won't effect your steering at all, if thats a concern.

Front & rear are not always the same. What vehical are you planning on outfiting?

Blake

Blake it's a full size Toyota Brandeirante(Brazilian make)1986 year...two weeks

ago while I was at the mech's..another Toyota was there having the entire

rear diff. replaced so I copied his axle numbers...splines are 30...one of

the spider gears has 16 teeth and the other one has 10 teeth...

Steering wouldn't be a big issue since anytime I'm in 4x4 it's slow going

because of the terrain I'm in...my only concern was the durability of the

Lock Rite in the rear diff. when so much of my driving is on city asphalt...

but if you say there wouldn't be a problem with it there then that's where

I'll put it...

post-300-126003359897_thumb.jpg

The only other advice I have is to make sure your axel does not have limited slip.

These type of lockers will only work in "open" differentals. If it does then for sure put it in the front diff.

BTW Nice Truck!!!

Jack up the rear axel so both tires are off the ground. Put the trans in gear or park. Spin one of the rear wheels. If its an "open" diff the other wheel will spin in the oposite direction. If you get some resistance. Put the trans in nuetral, then spin it, they will both spin the same way if it has a traction aiding diff.

Blake

Hey Blake...thanks for jogging the grey stuff...my first truck with "traction aiding

diff"..(never heard it put that way before)..was a 1977 Chevy with a 454..had the

same shop in OKC put in a "limited slip" diff...a "Super-Brute"..the people there

now have never heard of it..in the ten years I drove that P/U never one problem...

then in 1988 ordered a P/U from the factor and it came with the Posi-Traction already

installed..in ten more years no problem there either...

With your help and advice I'm headed for the mech. early tomorrow morning...thanks

a bunch for the help...

Blake it's a full size Toyota Brandeirante(Brazilian make)1986 year...two weeks

ago while I was at the mech's..another Toyota was there having the entire

rear diff. replaced so I copied his axle numbers...splines are 30...one of

the spider gears has 16 teeth and the other one has 10 teeth...

Steering wouldn't be a big issue since anytime I'm in 4x4 it's slow going

because of the terrain I'm in...my only concern was the durability of the

Lock Rite in the rear diff. when so much of my driving is on city asphalt...

but if you say there wouldn't be a problem with it there then that's where

I'll put it...

darn... the Toy sure does look clean in that picture! Not even a hint of red dust! Bet you have a limited slip rear!

Heck yeah,

4-wheeling, off-roading, wrenching & desert racing, is what I do best.

Like Eldorado Said, I would not be suprised if you did have a LSD in the rear of your truck.

Plus you need you post up some pics of your truck in it's daily duties. That would be cool for all of us to see. Rare truck in, I'm sure some cool suroundings.

Blake

More test....When El Dorado was here in Oct. of 2008 we were about 20 miles from the house on

the way back from beeping when the rear diff. started making some really bad sounds

that sounded like screams...a few hundred bucks later I had a new diff. I doubt

that it is a locker of any kind..going this afternoon to find out by your test

method...ain't to proud of this pic...happend a couple of weeks ago..had to cut

trees to get through the trac and haven't been in there for a couple of years...

tried to cross a small stream that in the past wasn't all that bad but this time

high centered the last two feet of the rear end...first time I've used the High-

Lift I bought a couple of years ago...also just got back from the mech...the rear

wheels turn in opposite directions....

post-300-126020899418_thumb.jpg