Nugget Shooter Forums

Best deep hole digger (pick)? What do you use?

Pocketman

I'm looking for a better metal detecting digger; I've been using an Estwing Geo Pick for digging my GPX-4000 targets. It's an excellent tool, but for my needs it does have its downsides. It's heavy, all metal (except for the grip cover) and is sometimes impossible to keep away from the coil's 'pick up zone'...producing many unwelcome and irritating signals while searching, no matter whether it's hung at my side in a holster or hand carried.

I dig some deep targets, so a long handle would seem to be a prerequisite, however, I'm thinking it may be best to go with shorter, non-metallic handled pick and carry a small shovel, in a loop on my backpack, to scoop out the dirt from the deeper holes. Any suggestions...what do you use?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason...go to the top of this page and click on NUGGETSHOOTER.COM main website...check out the accessories that Bill has listed ....especially the picks...with one of those you

can dig one deep hole without a shovel...

I'm a newbie nugget shooter and I like the Estwing rock pick for its intended purpose, but you are right that it's not really useful in digging a good-size hole. My first dirt pick is this Vigoro Garden Pick that I picked up at Home Depot. It's relatively small, lightweight thanks to the plastic handle, and I find it very useful in the field. It's 15 or 16 inches long; it'll easily let me dig down a foot. See the attached photo.

If you want to get a serious (and American made) heavy duty pick, this one is a beauty. I just got mine and have not yet used it, but it's definitely capable of helping dig that hole to China. The down side of this one is the weight - I won't be carrying this one on my belt. Check out the Apex website: My link

post-22641-126003496609_thumb.jpg

I'm a newbie nugget shooter and I like the Estwing rock pick for its intended purpose, but you are right that it's not really useful in digging a good-size hole. My first dirt pick is this Vigoro Garden Pick that I picked up at Home Depot. It's relatively small, lightweight thanks to the plastic handle, and I find it very useful in the field. It's 15 or 16 inches long; it'll easily let me dig down a foot. See the attached photo.

If you want to get a serious (and American made) heavy duty pick, this one is a beauty. I just got mine and have not yet used it, but it's definitely capable of helping dig that hole to China. The down side of this one is the weight - I won't be carrying this one on my belt. Check out the Apex website: My link

GolDan-

The Garden Pick looks good for shallow applications and the link to the Apex picks shows some real serious diggers...good suggestions!

Thanks for taking the time to post. Good luck to you,

Jason

Jason...go to the top of this page and click on NUGGETSHOOTER.COM main website...check out the accessories that Bill has listed ....especially the picks...with one of those you

can dig one deep hole without a shovel...

Will do Garimpo. Thanks,

Jason