Nugget Shooter Forums

Prefered cleanup method

goldnewbie

OK guys ill tell you how im cleaning up then you guys tell me how I should be cleaning up. The area Im working has fine gold Im classifying down to a #8 drywashing then running that through a small recirculating sluice then gold wheeling the cons picking out larger pieces screening down again and blue bowling. Does this make logical sense to you guys? Im kinda leery about the gold wheel part as I often re sluice the gold wheel tailings and find some gold large enough to see on the mats it missed. I just dont know how much. Thanks guys

I think you could skip the wheel completely. If you classify into several different sizes so everything is the same size, I've heard the blue bowl will do the job really well all by itself. You may need to purchase a few more classifiers but it could save you alot of time.

Just so you know this is from my research and reading on the forums, I've never used either the wheel or the blue bowl. Although I did have good success with a homemade bluebowl.

Im thinking that is a good idea and the gold wheel may have been a newbie gotta have not so smart purchase. Should have done some better research. I am going to do that tomorrow all through the blue bowl. Seems less likely to loose my fines in the way you suggested.just due to not handling the material another time. What would you say is the largest size the blue bowl will kick out do you think i could run #8 mesh size material through it? I have always used it with my #20 it does a real good job at getting that size. Thank you for the suggestion.

Goldnewbie

Forget the gold wheel,just run it through a good

recirculating sluice like a Gold Buddy,then pan.

A young prospecting friend of mine was just using

a gold wheel to clean his concentrates.

I watched then asked if I could run his gold wheel

tails through my Gold Buddy. I recovered more

gold from his tails than he got running high grade

concentrates in about 1/4 the time. He was sold on

the gold wheel until he saw what he was throwing away.

You can recover every grain with a pan and your finger.

Classify your concentrates into several cuts or sizes .

I work with several buckets of concentrates from the dry

washer at a time. So I just sort it into several buckets

by screen size before panning. It makes things go better

when all the material in the pan is sized the same.

:twocents: 50+ mesh=green bowl(or any wheel with a hole through the middle),and 50-mesh goes in my blue,then I save the worked to death black sands till I have enough for the cement mixer and mercury and viola I'm a happier miner with a good poke-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :thumbsupanim PS-to increase the wheel results you can run twice-once to capture ALL the gold AND blacksands--then tilt up steeper and remove the gold from the black sands. you have greatly increased your take by double classification--both size--then specific gravity--cool tool :brows:

OK guys ill tell you how im cleaning up then you guys tell me how I should be cleaning up. The area Im working has fine gold Im classifying down to a #8 drywashing then running that through a small recirculating sluice then gold wheeling the cons picking out larger pieces screening down again and blue bowling. Does this make logical sense to you guys? Im kinda leery about the gold wheel part as I often re sluice the gold wheel tailings and find some gold large enough to see on the mats it missed. I just dont know how much. Thanks guys

Hi Guy; Like you I was looking for a really good cleanup method, I tryed 5 types of recirculating sluices after seeing the workings and results from my friends wheels and blue bowls.Ibuilt a (pop& sons)6" cleanup sluice and started running tests on# 8 mesh cons,reran tailings to check for recovery, finally ended up with set up that gets the fine gold.I thought , it works so well at cleanup, why not in the creeks and rivers?so I made it fold in half, and made a flared scoop to put in place of the recirculating water supply end of the sluice.After a couple of trips to our sites, I had to build sluices for them like mine.to much info. to post here, if you want more you can e-mail me at <bundys@roguelink.net> good diggin!

Guest bedrock bob

A couple of trips through a gold pan and you are recovering 90% of the visible gold. If you are in an area where there is lots of heavy garnet sands, non magnetic black sands or other complications it pays to get more high tech. Some guys just cant stand the thought of loosing any gold. My spinis it is not what you are loosing that counts but what you are getting. Recovery per hour invested is the bottom line, not percentage of recovery. If you spend 3 times as long getting 99% as you do getting 50% it is much better to just throw a little away and make more dollars per hour. Some guys spend an inordinate amount of time getting every last speck. If it PAYS then do it. If you are spending 2 hours running material for 50 cents worth of gold there is no point in it.

It is tough to beat a gold pan for sheeer dollar per hour efficiency in MOST concentrates. If I have big drums of cons that have appreciable gold values I sell it outright to a refiner or do a small electrolytic process.

Great video looks like classification is the key also appears that im needing some new screens. I bet im blowing out a lot of fines by only classifying down to #8. I appreciate all of your guys help and responses. Raining here now so i dont know about drywashing tomorrow but we will see. Have a great day fellas.

Great video looks like classification is the key also appears that im needing some new screens. I bet im blowing out a lot of fines by only classifying down to #8. I appreciate all of your guys help and responses. Raining here now so i dont know about drywashing tomorrow but we will see. Have a great day fellas.

I like the line where he says something to the effect of, "this is what pays my bills, my insurance, etc., the gold that everyone else throws away". Here's the preceding video with them dredging, not clean-up related, but still interesting:

http://prospectingchannel.com/gold-dredge.html

Hey All,

Panning is still fairly fast and efficient. As far as equipment goes.....I was on the GPAA Alaska trip in '85. The "lead individuals" of the common operation at the Casadepaga location proudly showed me the Knelson Centerfuge that "recovers 100% of the gold" from their concentrates. In front of witnesses, I took a batch of their done-with cons straight from the Knelson, and fed it into my little Yellowjacket trommel (one pass only) and without even panning, showed everyone VISIBLE gold that was being missed. (One of the witnesses was Frank Lynn of A & B Prospecting in Mesa) For all of us, this was a real eye opener. This is not to say that any brand or type of equipment is bad or inefficient. The moral of the story is that expensive equipment is not be an end in itself, and that experience should always be considered where possible.

Ben