Nugget Shooter Forums

Coiltek UFO ?

Pocketman

I plan to do some desert prospecting in Southern California soon in an area that has produced well for me in the past...both placer and hard-rock. I'm convinced that there is still plenty of gold to be had there...though it's beyond the reach of the VLFs I swung the last time I was there. This time I'll be using a GPX-4000. I'm looking for some advice on the best deep seeking coil to purchase for the project and I'm thinking the Coiltek UFO might just be the best choice. Does anyone have an opinion on the UFO...positive or negative...or maybe another coil to suggest? (I've had no experience with after market coils for the GPX beyond the Coiltek Platypus).

Thanks,

Jason Gorpstew.com

Hi Jason...I've used the UFO on three different detectors and found gold with all three...I have two UFO's...

but to get the best performance out of one you have to go extremely slow to hear the deep signals...also

just barely touch the ground...when you move forward only move half the length of the coil...I've used one

in several different conditions and believe me it's best to be working behind a tractor push where you

don't have brush and rocks to mess with...another good thing about them is their water proof...if you

don't have really good clean areas to beep I would suggest the Coiltek 19" round DD (Dingo)...no longer made

but possibly a dealer would have one...the other suggestion would be a Coiltek 19" Ele.mono or their 17"

Ele. mono UFO...Nugget Finder also has some good coils in the 17" size....I have all and find gold with

all of them...hope this helps...

Hi Jason...I've used the UFO on three different detectors and found gold with all three...I have two UFO's...

but to get the best performance out of one you have to go extremely slow to hear the deep signals...also

just barely touch the ground...when you move forward only move half the length of the coil...I've used one

in several different conditions and believe me it's best to be working behind a tractor push where you

don't have brush and rocks to mess with...another good thing about them is their water proof...if you

don't have really good clean areas to beep I would suggest the Coiltek 19" round DD (Dingo)...no longer made

but possibly a dealer would have one...the other suggestion would be a Coiltek 19" Ele.mono or their 17"

Ele. mono UFO...Nugget Finder also has some good coils in the 17" size....I have all and find gold with

all of them...hope this helps...

Garimpo-

Thanks for your input...sounds like you really know what you're talking about! You've given me some good points to ponder before I make a purchase. Do you have any experience or thoughts considering the Nuggetfinder 25" lightweight that SGTFDA recommends?

Jason

I've owned three NF coils...screwed up and sold one of my Ele. 17" but still have

a 14" DD and the newer 17" Mono...don't ask me which is best the NF or the Coiltek...

that would be almost impossible to determine...Frank AKA SGTFDA is a real BS'er but

do does know his beeping equipment and I would take his word on anything...well

anyway most anything...

You say the area your going to be using the GP4000 in

has only been beeped with a VLF...if that's the case any

coil you use will produce good results if there's deeper

gold there...my choice would be a 17"...18" or 19" coil..

and take the owners manuel with you for the 4000...

I like the Nuggetfinder 25" lightweight. It will pick up targets as small as a bb and as large as truck engine.

Hi 'SGTFDA',

Is it your opinion that the Nuggetfinder 25" lightweight is "substantially" better than the UFO or a 19" mono at bleeping the deeper gold. I ask because the the cost is substantially more and cost is a concern, but I'm more than willing to spend the money if the performance justifies it. Thanks for your input.

Jason

25" nuggetfinder expensive? I told my Wife I bought my new 25" NF on ebay for $25. When I croak come to the garage sale. She will sell it for $5. I never used the UFO. The NF just worked great for me so did not see a need for a 2nd large coil. If you ever find yourself in a high interference area try a coiltek salt coil. Used on a SD2000GPM set in the enhanced mode is murder on small targets with zero noise. Same as going from DD to mono on a DD coil with other units.

Garimpo you ever get that salt coil and try it out?

No SGTFDA...never got the salt coil but ended up with a Coiltek DD Pro 17" Ele. that

does a great job....works good on the 3000 and the 4000....guess winter has set in

where your at...does that mean your beeping is on hold for awhile now?....

Don you can't dig in frozen ground. I'm retiring in a couple months and will be moving out to Arizona in September after I take care of some things here. I'm going to make a final trip or two back in the mountains this spring. I'll need 2 tractor trailer trucks to haul all my crap out to AZ.

25" nuggetfinder expensive? I told my Wife I bought my new 25" NF on ebay for $25. When I croak come to the garage sale. She will sell it for $5. I never used the UFO. The NF just worked great for me so did not see a need for a 2nd large coil. If you ever find yourself in a high interference area try a coiltek salt coil. Used on a SD2000GPM set in the enhanced mode is murder on small targets with zero noise. Same as going from DD to mono on a DD coil with other units.

Garimpo you ever get that salt coil and try it out?

SGTFDA,

Thanks for the info and the garage sale offer too, but I expect (and hope) that by the time you croak, your 25" nuggetfinder will be a distant memory...worn-out and obsolete.

Best of luck....Jason