Nugget Shooter Forums

LOBO WITH BIG COIL

OldSalt

Gents,

I'm thinking about switching to a larger coil for my Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. The reason I want to switch to a larger coil is that I hope I will gain more depth and stability. I suppose I will loose some sensitivity, but the lobo already seems to be a very sensitive VLF machine anyway. Loosing some of this does not seem like it will be an issue.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks, Don

Aloha,

Owned a Lobo while hunting in Hawaii, but never got around to using anything other than a stock coil. I now own a GMT and was happy with the stock coil UNTIL Jim Smaller got me hooked on the Goldmax Sierra coil. Took him awhile but once I got over being stubborn it has really paid off in the long run. If you switch to a biger coil you will have to retrain your ears all over again as it is much more sensitive BUT will punch deeper. You will probably just have to get one and stay with it for a long time until you realize how it works.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it works for you. Just remember to go LOW~AND~SLOW!

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Aloha,

Owned a Lobo while hunting in Hawaii, but never got around to using anything other than a stock coil. I now own a GMT and was happy with the stock coil UNTIL Jim Smaller got me hooked on the Goldmax Sierra coil. Took him awhile but once I got over being stubborn it has really paid off in the long run. If you switch to a biger coil you will have to retrain your ears all over again as it is much more sensitive BUT will punch deeper. You will probably just have to get one and stay with it for a long time until you realize how it works.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it works for you. Just remember to go LOW~AND~SLOW!

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Oh, I was under the impression that smaller coils produced more sensitivity. Maybe need to rethink this idea.

:arrowheadsmiley: DO NOT MIX APPLES WITH ORANGES--WHAT WORKS ON A WHITE DOES NOT MEAN THE SAME AS THE OTHER MAKES/MODELS OF DETECTORS. With the TLST the big coil makes one heck of a difference in depth and sensitivity. I have all the coils--do ya want to try it out to save $$ and prove it to yourself? Smallest coil has fantastic sensitivity and great to use in trashy areas. The big(heavy) coil does pound down quite a bit further, with reduced sensitivity. As with all detectors, and also mineralization, that varies greatly so you have to be detector specific with results. And YES Jimmies tiny coil rocks :thumbsupanim -tons a au 2 u 2 -John

:arrowheadsmiley: DO NOT MIX APPLES WITH ORANGES--WHAT WORKS ON A WHITE DOES NOT MEAN THE SAME AS THE OTHER MAKES/MODELS OF DETECTORS. With the TLST the big coil makes one heck of a difference in depth and sensitivity. I have all the coils--do ya want to try it out to save $$ and prove it to yourself? Smallest coil has fantastic sensitivity and great to use in trashy areas. The big(heavy) coil does pound down quite a bit further, with reduced sensitivity. As with all detectors, and also mineralization, that varies greatly so you have to be detector specific with results. And YES Jimmies tiny coil rocks :thumbsupanim -tons a au 2 u 2 -John

So, which is it? Will the bigger coil give me more depth and less sensitivity?

hey ron, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. i am still learning and your insight into prospecting is very helpfull. keep up the great advise. again, thanks much. ron

HI Don,

A larger coil will tend to make your detector more unstable...but better depth on larger items and less sensitivity. The larger coil will 'read' more ground minrealization. If lowering the sensitivity does not help, try your Alkali or Black Sand setting.

Gents,

I'm thinking about switching to a larger coil for my Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. The reason I want to switch to a larger coil is that I hope I will gain more depth and stability. I suppose I will loose some sensitivity, but the lobo already seems to be a very sensitive VLF machine anyway. Loosing some of this does not seem like it will be an issue.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks, Don