Nugget Shooter Forums

I got the skunk. but the lion got the bucki!!!

Uncle Ron

Yo All...Covered a bunch of washes today for nothing but trash...But after hiking a long way up some piddler gullies, I came upon a scene of real violence...Greasewood bushes were thrashed and fair sized palo verde branches were broke up...The ground was torn up all around...Apparently this 5 point buck put up one hell of a battle, but ended up lunch in the end ... This is the first lion kill I've come upon in the desert ... Pretty amazing... Cheers, Unc

post-9-125850564682_thumb.jpg

Aloha Unc Ron,

Looks like it isnt too old a kill so I hope you were packing as you dont want to be dessert.

Aloha and definitely be safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

The wife and my daughters came across the same seen about 4 years ago. Just a few miles North of Hwy 60 near Ox Wash. When we found it it was day time and fresh meat, face ripped off and one flank missing. We went back 2 days later, stunk like rotten flesh and picked clean.

A few weeks before that the wife and I were out one night in the Ranger. We were parked enjoying the darkness and a beer or two, my wife get a chill and whispers to me "turn on the lights somethings out there". I hit the HID's just intime to see something clearing the bank, but could not focus on it.

Stay alert, but it's still nature....be aware...be smart.

Blake

Guest bedrock bob

What a neat thing to witness. Kinda makes you aware of what is behind you huh?

When I worked at the NASA facility there were cameras everywhere, and they recorded all night. The fellows in the test stands would often get photos of lions walking around the facility at night. There is a very dense population of lions in the area and they were everywhere, all the time, although I only saw one in the flesh once. Just like a ringtail cat can be living in your house and you will never know it, so goes those lions.

I see tracks and smell their stinky spray regularly but I never see the darn things. Pretty nocturnal for the most part I think.

Bob

Uncle Ron

I have seen hundreds of lion kills. There is something

a little odd about your picture.

A lion will scratch dirt,sticks and leaves over a kill

before leaving it. They will cover it every time unless

they are surprised while they are eating. Was those antlers

chewed on by critters,or were they broke up from the kill?

If that was a fresh kill,you may have interrupted dinner!

Lions are pretty gory with their eating style too.

Most lion kills have a serious amount of hair and blood

scattered around where ole kitty has pulled the hair and

skin from the under belly.

Bedrock

If you want to see lions come to Utah. There is an old

lion that has been through my Son's yard so often,My little

Grandson nicknamed him Ralph. We was working on an old dozer

today. Riley says Grandpa there's old Ralph. I thought he

was kidding and didn't pay much attention. When I did turn

around,sure enough the old lion was walking up the field

just like he owned the place.Most folks around here don't

even pay any attention to them.

This summer in Brazil, I came upon a spot that was roughly circular and all tramped down smooth. I figured a sleeping area, but when I walked into the clearing.... there were bones with loads of meat still attached. It was the place a panther brough kill to eat and it sure sent chills down my back..... Many people there get killed and eaten by those big cats.......

Guest bedrock bob

Here is a link that you fellows might like. Black Jaguars in New Mexico and Arizona.

http://www.nowpublic.com/environment/warner-glenn-first-photograph-living-wild-jaguar-united-states

Jack Childs, a trapper and hunter down by Animas New Mexico swore for years he saw black cougars or jaguars. Everyone told him he was full of it until he managed to get photos after his dogs treed one. Still, they are not sure whether they animals are "melanistic" cougars or jaguars I dont believe. Anyhoo, there are some BIG BLACK CATS roaming arond down here.

Bob

Yo All...Covered a bunch of washes today for nothing but trash...But after hiking a long way up some piddler gullies, I came upon a scene of real violence...Greasewood bushes were thrashed and fair sized palo verde branches were broke up...The ground was torn up all around...Apparently this 5 point buck put up one hell of a battle, but ended up lunch in the end ... This is the first lion kill I've come upon in the desert ... Pretty amazing... Cheers, Unc

Uncle Ron,

Was this in the area that I can usually be found? That is a little concerning because that was a pretty big animal to have been taken down. I have noticed a lot more animal activity lately around populated areas. I am wondering if it has anything to do with lack of rain.

Anyway, it makes it worth it to lug around a big 45 while I am out in the desert.

Yo, Sawmill, Old Salt and all... This appears to have been at about one month...If you got close it stank but just a few feet away there was no smell...There were some parts that were buried...Jaws, lengths of rib and back bone, but the main body was in the open and the skin was dried out like hard leather ... The most impressive to me was the violence on the ground ... It was really ripped up and showed that a real battle had happened...I think the buck was holed up in some thick, protective palo verde and the lion stalked up on it and attacked...The buck was in velvet...It looks like coyotes have come in and chewed on the carcass ... The antlers have been chewed on pretty good ... About 100 yards away there is an old hardrock tunnel going in on a quartz lead ... I kind of got a feeling that the lion may have took up residence in the adit ... But it doesn't look like it's living there now ... No fresh trail into the tunnel ... It appears this was worked first around the 1900's because of the cans with lead plugs...Then again in the 1940's because of syrup jugs and jars...There must have been some values because of the extent of the work done...However, there was so much trash, particularly old fuse type explosive caps, that it was discouraging to even try to work the ground...All in all an interesting discovery and in an area that seems to produce both ancient placer and schist deposits as well ... Cheers, Unc

Uncle Ron

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I figured it was

an old kill but couldn't see the picture well enough to

really be positive.

Sounds like a pretty neat spot to explore. I have noticed

most kills are healthy bucks. I think it is because most of

the time they like to hang out in the same places that cats

like. They like to hide out alone in a rough place and nap.

Its just a matter of kitty sneaking up and pouncing.

Does hang out in groups ,and one of them is always on guard.

Plus they spend more time in more open areas,where it is

harder to sneak up on them.

Yep, those cats can be downright gruesome in the way they kill and scarf down their winnings... That whole area is cat country and there's lots for them to eat, ranging from chipmunks, calves and deer...& prospectors... Here's an action shot.....:inocent: :scare: :lol: Cheers...Unc

post-9-125868575785_thumb.jpg

Ron ,now that is a mean looking critter you have there!

Becoming lion food is way down on the bottom of my list

of worries. There is just some things a lion won't eat. :yuk-yuk:

I do get nervous though when the buzzards start landing

in the brush around me. :hahaha:

As said that buck was in the velvet when killed.Most bucks shed the velvet around the end of August.Lions usually do bury there kill,but I have seen large Toms just kill,eat the heart liver and lungs and move on....not covering the kill.Lions actually "lick",the hair off with there very Fibrous tongue and as Sawmill stated is usually scattered all around.It is odd that you guys do not come across more kills as an adult lion needs a deer a week or comparable to surviveLions will not eat meat once it has rotted,and I say the deer the fellow found with the face and flank tore up was probably a coyote....those signs are not lion