Nugget Shooter Forums

Friday 13th Nugget

Uncle Ron

Yo All...Today was a lucky Friday 13th for yer Unc in the Dubyah...Scoped out a new, untouched gulch near Wickenburg yesterday and today I got out to it about noon...Fricken catsclaw hell for about 1,000 feet...Vertical walls so I had no choice but to rip my way through it...Looked like I had been in a knife fight by the time I reached the top...Only targets were two boot tacks...I had examined the gulch system the night before on Google earth and noted that another little gulch about 1,000 feet east had a small red patch near its source...I decided to hike on over the ridge to check it out, even though most of it was that hot purple bedrock that's really noisy to beep in...When I dropped down into the gulch, sure enough it was very noisy, kind of a constant moaning from my ol' Baboo SD2100, even with the DD NF 14" XP...But then I got into an area where there were lots of round river cobbles all mixed up with the hard angular rocks which are more common to the area...I began to realize that the round cobbles were sloughing off of a red rhyolite or lava and most of the rocks in the lava were rounded while the rest of the rocks in the area were sharp edged ... I slowly beeped my way down the little gully which was the top of the gulch and suddenly a the top of an inside turn got a hellashishly loud "round" sound ... Dug down about 10 inches and got this beautiful 4.1 gram nugget...I think it came out of the lava and was in an ancient stream-bed when the volcanic eruption spewed lava over it capturing round river rocks and nuggets too ... The area certainly deserves at least one more visit since gold was the only target in the entire gully system ... Here's some pix ... Cheers, Unc

Way to go Ron, a fine lesson in sleuthing...very interesting, but where is the link to the pix? I'd like to see the little 'beauty'; I could use some inspiration!

Good luck on your next visit to the site,

Jason

Hey Ron nice nuggieangry-smiley-032[1].gif I assume that monos are to hot to use in the area your beepinconfused0083[1].gif I did try the same coil your using when I had a Gp extreme and found it to dead with hardly any sensitivity--have you tried any of the coiltek dd pro's out in your area ? if not maybe you should--way hotter than the stock dd coil and the xp line--but still let you work hotter ground when using the dino SD linewinking0001[1].gif Mike C...ph34r2.gif

Yo Mike...As a matter of fact I used Doc's Coiltek 18" DD Pro a couple of gulches over and found a nice patch...But working the small gullies and gulches with it, the 18" is just too big and heavy to negotiate the tight turns...But it certainly is a great coil and very sensitive...One of my favorite coils when there's room to roam...I've found several virgin patches with it and it's way more than payed for itself...Cheers, Unc