Nugget Shooter Forums

Ryepatch in September 09

Jeff Pike

Spent 5 days detecting at RP with the skunk firmly attached to my back the entire time - However, my girlfriend stumbled onto this on day 3. Has anyone found anything like this before? My friend Dave V. in Spokane has seen things like this from RP before, but I have only heard of one other item like this from next to the Spruce Claim (Bob Jackson's)in King County, WA. My microscope is packed away, I will try to post close-ups of the piece at a future date. It's really amazing under the scope.

I was on the Minelab, Linda was using a GMT.

Also found a nice mixed bag of crystals here and there...covered alot of ground on the ATV.

Jeff

***** I re-sized the photos in the next post *****

post-22610-125730722156_thumb.jpg

post-22610-125730728585_thumb.jpg

post-22610-125730733232_thumb.jpg

post-22610-125730737715_thumb.jpg

post-22610-125730742355_thumb.jpg

post-22610-125730842105_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I've spent a lot of days out there, never seen anything like that!

I have heard of such an occurance, but think this is a very special find, to be sure.

Congratulations to Linda!

Thank you for sharing!

~LARGO~

Jeff-

I've seen something similar to what you have. Someone found a nice quartz crystal with a small cube of gold in it on the eastern side of the Eugene mtns - not far from Ten Mile. Crystal was perhaps 1 inch long, 1/4 inch wide and contained a 2mm gold cube towards the top of the crystal. Specimens like that are very rare, Nice find!!!! :thumbsupanim

Steve

Follow-up for Chuck -

Under the scope, there is definite stepped isometric crystallization of the inclusion in the quartz - it is a clear crystal tip found in one of the many dumps out there...Over 2/3 of the inclusion is exposed gold with no coating, and exhibits bicubic to hexagonal habit. The remainder 1/3 has a coating of some sort of tan silica-type mineral that has mimicked the stepped crystallization underneath. If you look at the photos, there is iron bleed (dark dendritic streaks) that follow a micro fracture. This piece is positive for metal both with the GMT and a falcon probe. When I have the time, I will do a specific gravity test to determine the weight of the inclusion. There are micro fractures surrounding the inclusion, I am not schooled enough to understand how the fractures formed (during crystallization of after crystallization), however I have a few theories. I have collected crystals in Washington and Oregon for many years, and have seen all sorts of inclusions, just none like this. Cubic pyrites, stibnite, chlorite, water bubbles (enhydro), and even dirt inclusions are rare, but I have found them all. This piece was both shocking and surprising...

Jeff

Excellent find, there you have it folks, on occasion it appears the gold from Rye Patch did form alongside or actually came in contact with the quartz at Rye Patch, maybe as it recrystalized from solution.

I didn't recognize it was crystal, That is a great find, I bet your Friend was a happy camper, WTG

My first hunt at RP & not knowing my way around, I saw a Jeep coming & thought it would be better if I hunted down this wash where I found a crystal with an inclusion, to me it looks like a sage bush growing inside. A fellow told me what it was but I cant remember, probably couldn't spell it if I did remember. chuck,tx

post-873-125736483152_thumb.jpg

Chuck -That might be a chlorite inclusion you have in that crystal. Have seen chlorite in quartz specimens similar to what you have but not from the same location.

Steve

Steve, chlorite inclusion, had a look see & that stuff & it is a long ways from gold, that explains why I was offered a standing offer of $3.00

Who knows, chlorite in a 1000 years, there mite be a shortage.

Chuck- It's not worth much but it's still a nice find. Your inclusion is much more defined and pronounced then the majority of the specimens. Here's a photo of a quartz crystal with a typical chlorite inclusion.

http://www.mindat.org/photo-218149.html

Steve

By the way- how big is that crystal?

Edited by Goldfinger

Pegleg John at rye patch had a similar one with inclusions, that he was asking $200 for!!

Anyone that pays $200.00 for something like Chuck's crystal is a darn fool... :twocents: :twocents: The crystal would have to be almost perfect for it to come close to a valuation of $200.00. You can ask any price you want but that doesn't mean that's what it's worth.....

Steve