Nugget Shooter Forums

Thank you! (from Paleface's family)

This is Jim’s (“Paleface“) family - Sue (wife), Cindy (daughter) and Jim Jr.(son). Jim shared many of your posts with us over the years, especially in the last few months when you sent such supportive, heart warming encouragements and prayers to him. Thank you for that. And thanks to all of you who shared your love of rock hunting with him. As so many of you know he was a rock hound to the core - having spent his whole life around mines, collecting rocks, silversmith/jewelry making, metal detecting and searching for gold and meteorites.

Jim died suddenly just before midnight Sunday, October 25, 2009. As you all know from his “Cancer Sucks” notification, he had been facing lung cancer head on. The fantastic news is that in the 8 weeks of radiation and chemo treatments, his monster tumor went from 8x7x6 cm to a 65% smaller version of 2.7 x 2.6 cm. Amazing, eh? Despite a few days of fatigue and a bit of throat irritation from the radiation, he surprisingly had little nausea and maintained a very positive attitude, a great appetite and kept every bit of his hair (minus a few unnoticeable moustache hairs). He felt so good that he decided to take a week’s travel with Sue to Colorado and Utah to visit family he hadn’t seen in many years and to see his childhood stomping grounds again. He thoroughly enjoyed the fall colors, reconnections to family and opportunity to see the area he grew up in once more. One of the days he was in altitude of 2 mile high Leadville, CO which made it difficult for him to breathe and when they returned to Kingman on October 20th he never quite felt himself again. Ultimately it was not the cancer that took him, but more likely a heart complication. He died at home quickly, without pain and suffering. We are so grateful for this because he was a proud man with lots of dignity and was able to keep every bit of it right until the end. Even the hangnail on his nose picking finger healed! :thumbsupanim

Being part of your forums and get-togethers were bright spots in Jim’s life over the last several years. He talked endlessly about conversations and experiences you’ve all shared. He treasured each new discovery and enjoyed sharing what knowledge he could to help people enjoy metal detecting, and feel the joy of finding a new meteorite or golden nugget. We wish we knew each of your stories connected with Jim. You all meant so much to him. He was a big man with a bigger heart and he is greatly missed, especially by the three of us, his mother and his 3 grandchildren.

Death is the lantern turning out because the dawn has appeared. As a friend said, “No more worry. Always rock hunting under orange desert dawn sky.” We just know that Jim, our beloved is looking for his next “out of this world” meteorite. Much love goes out to you all as you hold the memory of him in your hearts. We know he would want you to know how much you meant to him.

This is Jim’s (“Paleface“) family - Sue (wife), Cindy (daughter) and Jim Jr.(son). Jim shared many of your posts with us over the years, especially in the last few months when you sent such supportive, heart warming encouragements and prayers to him. Thank you for that. And thanks to all of you who shared your love of rock hunting with him. As so many of you know he was a rock hound to the core - having spent his whole life around mines, collecting rocks, silversmith/jewelry making, metal detecting and searching for gold and meteorites.

Jim died suddenly just before midnight Sunday, October 25, 2009. As you all know from his “Cancer Sucks” notification, he had been facing lung cancer head on. The fantastic news is that in the 8 weeks of radiation and chemo treatments, his monster tumor went from 8x7x6 cm to a 65% smaller version of 2.7 x 2.6 cm. Amazing, eh? Despite a few days of fatigue and a bit of throat irritation from the radiation, he surprisingly had little nausea and maintained a very positive attitude, a great appetite and kept every bit of his hair (minus a few unnoticeable moustache hairs). He felt so good that he decided to take a week’s travel with Sue to Colorado and Utah to visit family he hadn’t seen in many years and to see his childhood stomping grounds again. He thoroughly enjoyed the fall colors, reconnections to family and opportunity to see the area he grew up in once more. One of the days he was in altitude of 2 mile high Leadville, CO which made it difficult for him to breathe and when they returned to Kingman on October 20th he never quite felt himself again. Ultimately it was not the cancer that took him, but more likely a heart complication. He died at home quickly, without pain and suffering. We are so grateful for this because he was a proud man with lots of dignity and was able to keep every bit of it right until the end. Even the hangnail on his nose picking finger healed! :thumbsupanim

Being part of your forums and get-togethers were bright spots in Jim’s life over the last several years. He talked endlessly about conversations and experiences you’ve all shared. He treasured each new discovery and enjoyed sharing what knowledge he could to help people enjoy metal detecting, and feel the joy of finding a new meteorite or golden nugget. We wish we knew each of your stories connected with Jim. You all meant so much to him. He was a big man with a bigger heart and he is greatly missed, especially by the three of us, his mother and his 3 grandchildren.

Death is the lantern turning out because the dawn has appeared. As a friend said, “No more worry. Always rock hunting under orange desert dawn sky.” We just know that Jim, our beloved is looking for his next “out of this world” meteorite. Much love goes out to you all as you hold the memory of him in your hearts. We know he would want you to know how much you meant to him.

Good morning, I am so sorry for your (our) loss.

Thanks for the update. It seems that Jim went peacefully and that is all one can ask for in such tragedy. Would you please repost this message on another forum (the met-list) I believe he was a member or if he was not may repost it?

Thanks again,

Hi Sue and family. I wish to pass on my condolences to you and all. It is so hard to lose such a warm hearted loved one. I have lost so many friends over the years but I know if I close my eye's and think of them, I see them and they are with me always. The end of the world to a caterpillar to us is a butterfly. Life after passing is no harder to believe than life it self. Jim will always' be in my prayers. He is such a wonderful, giving and generous person. May the good Lord put his healing hands upon you and comfort you always....

hug's, jim "bones"

Dr. Jim "bones" Shorten

Tombstone, AZ

I too am sorry for your loss. Jim will be missed here on the forum and out in the field but he will never be forgotten by any of the people whos lives he has touched through the years. Thank you for taking the time to answer some of the questions that have been on our minds.