Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steel Pan

Camping on claims

Gary

Jerry was just getting started about the time I

was hauling wood from Jacks Peak. The other old guy

with the shaft in the shed had been there forever.

The first time I saw Jicarilla there was several

houses and buildings scattered all over. There was

a few families that lived there year around. The

Forest Service pushed and burned most of the town

and all the cabins scattered along the draw later.

Until around 1976 or so the only working claim in

the whole district was the old guy with the shaft.

All of the old mines and claims were just sitting,

except the iron ore claims that we worked in 1968.

I worked for a mining outfit that had a crushing

and milling plant at Carrizozo at that time. We

worked some claims around Ancho,and around White Oaks.

Like most mining stuff it fizzled out because of costs.

Jerry saved the Store and school/church house,and

a couple houses from being dozed and burned by the

Forest Service. He got treated like crap ,and was put

through years of misery for his effort.

The funny thing is that he was actually getting gold

from the hole behind the store. :yuk-yuk:

Guest bedrock bob

In the mid 80's there was an operation right at the juncture of Springtime Gulch and the road. There was a mighty shrewd operator with about a dozen roughs working for him. I think most were just out of prison. A real motley bunch.

There was TONS of fine black sand and the gold was absolutely dust. They would produce a pretty good showing of gold dust, but were loosing probably 50% (or more)in those heavy sands. They were shipping drums of this dried sand, which they had passed over a belt with about three magnetic rollers. You could pan two tablespoons and get six fine, barely visible colors in every sample. At one point they had about a hundred drums of this material. There were many pounds of fine gold there.

We worked several spots there in the earlly 80's on the flanks of Ancho peak. There were spots of bare bedrock with nothing but coarse black spheres of hematite...black sand on steroids. I collected one bucket of sweepings in about 4 hours and recovered 1/4 ounce. We worked for a couple of seasons and did pretty well for our efforts. In almost three ounces of gold recovered there was not a siingle piece bigger than a piece of sugar. I did find one piece of quartz about the size of a pea, salted with fine dust. I bet there is more of that good quartz out there as widespread and persistent as that placer is. It would be difficult to locate a 50 lb nugget of that ore with a detector though I believe. The ore that I have seen is all very lacy and sprinkled with color rather than having any type of continuous metallic vein.

That is a neat area. There is obviously a heck of a lot of gold in that gravel. Many fortunes worth. You would need to run a whole bunch of gravel very cheaply and efficiently to be able to turn a profit there. I think it would take a lot of acres and an impossible amount of permitting. Now there are water issues that did not exist in the 80's too, so the chances of a gold mine in the Jicarillas are just getting farther and farther away I'm afraid.

Bob

So it seems the way I use my club claimm still seems aplicable. I camp and drywash for 12-14 days then travle to town and move to a seperate blm camping location about 30 miles away and stay for 2 weeks before I return for more drywashing.

PLP is fighting a good battle to keep mining rights for all of us crazy people. All of us miners, rock hounds ect. need to step up and help plp... or watch our freedoms slowly fade into memories. look up plp.org public land for the people. you must know the law to be able to stand up for your rights when the pine cone cop tries to tell you are breaking a forest regulation or a Law on the books.

I think you were trying to link to: http://www.plp2.org/

The link you provided, plp.org, linked to a communist website.