Nugget Shooter Forums
Jeff Pike

A Few Washington State Pieces

Good day all,

Finally getting around to joining a forum and sharing some photos with those who love this hobby as much as I do :)

Here are a few pieces detected in Liberty, Washington

Found encased in red clay and calcite and tossed off the back of either a dragline or bucketline and found in the tailings

A little Oxalic acid or CLR removes the calcite matrix in a day or so...

Cheers!

Jeff

post-22610-125662118697_thumb.jpg

post-22610-125662120498_thumb.jpg

post-22610-125662122124_thumb.jpg

post-22610-125662123886_thumb.jpg

post-22610-12566212572_thumb.jpg

post-22610-125662127931_thumb.jpg

post-22610-125662130185_thumb.jpg

Fantastic pieces!!! :thumbsupanim I've seen the gold from Liberty before and those rank up there with the best. You should get a pretty penny if you ever decide to sell. Those are highly prized by mineral collectors. Thanks for showing...

Steve

:thumbsupanim Love'm all--big/small/flat or jagged nothing rings my bell as much as righteous specimens-thanx-John

Hi Jeff

Those are incredible!!!

Thanks for sharing. Always good to see something new.

Regards

Herb

Jeff.. Welcome to the forum. Not only are those fantastic pieces of gold, your photography skill are exquisite. Can you share info about camera, lighting etc?

Holey Crap,What beautiful nuggets,The other posters already used up all the words that describes your nuggets,(hell I couldn't spell them anyway) And you are no slouch of a photographer, Those are some great images, Thanks for the thrill, but bad for the old ticker. Chuck,TX.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

I have quite a few more to post, will do so as time permits...

After years of struggling with the lighting, etc., and many different cameras (expensive and not-so-expensive), I finally settled on an old Nikon Coolpix 995 with a macro adapter. It works best with a fluorescent ring light and a piece of black construction paper in a totally dark room and the setting on "incandescent" on the camera. I found the camera and adapter in new condition on eBay for about 130 bucks total. The macro adapter isn't entirely necessary, but adds a bit of extra close-up capability...Took about 2 weeks and hundreds of test shots. My friend Dave in Spokane who owns Goldbay.com has used the same setup for years and his photos really are impressive on all gold, especially nuggets. I'm not sure if he is using the 995 on his latest photos. I owe the credit to him for turning me toward the older coolpix and the light ring. The fluorescent rings are available at any hardware store for about 15-20$ and you have to remove the mount so it is just the ring. a little elevating of the ring gives a striking butter-yellow color. Keep an eye on the temp of the light, though, as it gets hot after about 20-30 min. I also have a friend in Liberty (Rob) who takes amazing (more so than mine) photos of his gold from claims he has there. He blows them up and mounts them in 11x17 and 19x36 frames and sells them at the 2 little diners on the highway near Liberty.

I will take a picture of the setup parts and post a follow-up in a week or so when I get back home.

Cheers!

Jeff

Mmmmmm. So, so fine! Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum. Sorry for drooling all over your photos, but what a rush!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

I have quite a few more to post, will do so as time permits...

After years of struggling with the lighting, etc., and many different cameras (expensive and not-so-expensive), I finally settled on an old Nikon Coolpix 995 with a macro adapter. It works best with a fluorescent ring light and a piece of black construction paper in a totally dark room and the setting on "incandescent" on the camera. I found the camera and adapter in new condition on eBay for about 130 bucks total. The macro adapter isn't entirely necessary, but adds a bit of extra close-up capability...Took about 2 weeks and hundreds of test shots. My friend Dave in Spokane who owns Goldbay.com has used the same setup for years and his photos really are impressive on all gold, especially nuggets. I'm not sure if he is using the 995 on his latest photos. I owe the credit to him for turning me toward the older coolpix and the light ring. The fluorescent rings are available at any hardware store for about 15-20$ and you have to remove the mount so it is just the ring. a little elevating of the ring gives a striking butter-yellow color. Keep an eye on the temp of the light, though, as it gets hot after about 20-30 min. I also have a friend in Liberty (Rob) who takes amazing (more so than mine) photos of his gold from claims he has there. He blows them up and mounts them in 11x17 and 19x36 frames and sells them at the 2 little diners on the highway near Liberty.

I will take a picture of the setup parts and post a follow-up in a week or so when I get back home.

Cheers!

Jeff

Greetings Jeff,

Great job finding the Liberty wire gold! I know Rob and have seen his pictures at the dinner. Also, very good job on the pictures you have taken as well. My only other question is what metal detector and coil size were you using to find the wire gold pieces in your pictures (VLF or PI unit)? I know that it is very hard to find these targets because there is not much solid surface area to generate a consistant response. Thanks for sharing! Tyrie(Pasco, WA)

Hi Everyone-

Again - those are some amazing specimens from Liberty. Wire gold can also be found at Copper Basin in Az but that area is now off limits. It used to be you could ask for and get permission to hunt and work that area but after a few people had some squabbles, Phelps-Dodge decided to ban everyone. What a loss... The pieces from Copper Basin weren't as exquisite or as large as the ones from Liberty but they were nice micromount specimens for the mineral collector..

Steve

Greetings Jeff,

Great job finding the Liberty wire gold! I know Rob and have seen his pictures at the dinner. Also, very good job on the pictures you have taken as well. My only other question is what metal detector and coil size were you using to find the wire gold pieces in your pictures (VLF or PI unit)? I know that it is very hard to find these targets because there is not much solid surface area to generate a consistant response. Thanks for sharing! Tyrie(Pasco, WA)

Hello Jeff,

Yes, I would also like to know what kind of detector and coil you were using to find these wire gold specimens? I know it is very difficult to find these. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Don

Good day Jeff,

Nice, once again, to see my favorite kind of gold, Washington wire gold is so energizing.

I find that, the Liberty areas have been hit hard. For me, some of the best detector results have been in Liberty's benches. The ancient river channel also moved some. As you know, the tailing piles are vast, with large round boulders. Some great history around Liberty area.

Appreciate your sharing those inspiring photos, really nice work, the beauty is captured just so.

Thanks for making my day, looking forward to your posts.

Doug

Just stunning. Thank you!

Finally back in front of the computer with a hard drive full of photos...

For starters, the pieces in the photos were found several years back, and there were quite a few more than shown. For clarification, they were not recovered on the main tailings that most people associate with Swauk Creek, as that is private property and as anyone familiar with the area knows, the gold in the lower channel is much more rounded; There have been some interesting matrix/gold pieces found at the operation Rob was working on, and they had some unique equipment they were using for recovery. The tailings I have detected do contain some boulders, however most don't. The bucketline in the main channel never made it as far up as I usually go. Some of the piles are massive, suggesting at the very least a dragline operation - others are on the smallish side, say 20-30 yds in size. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of these scattered all over the area for miles to the North and East. I do not detect Boulder Creek as it is also private. I have found large tailings on top of ridges and stacked over a hundred feet on the side of a hill. I am not nearly as knowledgeable on the area as most who live there, though I have spent the last 20 years prospecting the area and go there at least 10 to 15 times a year searching for both gold and agates. I used a Goldbug and 3x6E with an amplifier (don't know the name of it, got it when I got the detector at NW Treasure supply) and used a plastic garden rake with gridding and 2" scrapes. There are more piles I have never beeped, but need to check the status before I hit them. I have been focusing on summer dredging, Nevada, and Arizona, so Liberty has been on the back burner for now (aside from elk hunting the last few days). If anyone is heading up there, I am more than happy to share info on some open spots with potential.

Thanks again to all who left the nice comments!

Jeff

Your gold has a snow flake quality to it. Very fine and intense patterns with incredible detail. Nice finds!!!

Jeff: Absolute beauties and great pictures to really show them off. Luv

this kinda stff--thanks for sharing--looking forward for more--Hal