Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorite I.D. Please

Hi, newbie here. Came across this friendly looking forum and thought y'all might be some help. :)

(I did not wish to bother any of those rude arrogant meteorite id professinals all over the web)

K, I found this by a river in Indiana, it's heavy but not a whole lot heavier than it looks.

It is magnetic and it seems to streak black, (I'm no pro on streaks so don't hold me to that.)

Any Ideas would be greatly appriciated, Thanks

post-22602-125634108945_thumb.jpgpost-22602-125634121878_thumb.jpgpost-22602-125634139166_thumb.jpg

Hi, newbie here. Came across this friendly looking forum and thought y'all might be some help. :)

(I did not wish to bother any of those rude arrogant meteorite id professinals all over the web)

K, I found this by a river in Indiana, it's heavy but not a whole lot heavier than it looks.

It is magnetic and it seems to streak black, (I'm no pro on streaks so don't hold me to that.)

post-22602-125634108945_thumb.jpgpost-22602-125634121878_thumb.jpgpost-22602-125634139166_thumb.jpg

hi there, it looks very very old stone more like volcano stone to me exposed to heat and long periods of climat changing that has pickup iron after all, have a look inside of it by slicing a piece and more clues can be seen just suggestion let see what orthers can tell too.

Hi Jojo,

The stone looks terrestrial to me, and like Fred says, metamorphic. I can see what looks like visable quartz/silica in the matrix. Also, the exterior surface does not have any features that are meteoritic. Better luck with the next one.

Ben

Hi JoJo,

It's very difficult to make a determination just by looking at the exterior of a stone. If you can cut or grind a section of it to reveal the inside that would help. Or even break off a piece with a hammer. Once you can see the inside look for metal flakes that most meteorites have. If there are metal flakes inside you can do a simple test for nickel content that meteorites have. Place a piece of the stone in a clear glass and pour white distilled vineger over it, enough to cover the stone. Let it sit for 24 hours then pour about an equal amount of ammonia into the vinegar and stone container. If the liquid turns blue, that would indicate a nickel content and it would be time to take it to a University or some other qualified institution for further analysis. Good luck.

Jim

Hey all. :)

Thank you so much for all of your thoughts.

I guess I'll try busting it open and taking a look.

Off the topic, I have been metal detecting for several years and have never thought about meteorites but I have kept every thing I have ever dug up in a big container in the trunk of my car. I know I have dug up chunks of I don't know what and just threw them in there, so maybe I've got one after all.

Thanx again.

Hi Guys,

The alley behind my house is dark from all the stones that we've tossed over the wall after windowing failed to find a reason to keep those particular "maybe's". I don't know of a better way than actual close examination. If a find is from a particular strewnfield, identification is very quick.

Ben

From your description, it sounds like an iron mineral,possibly magnetite mixed with another one. A friend of mine in Indiana who pans for gold on weekends has found something similar to what you have, only his specimen is banded. My guess is your specimen is float from an iron ore deposit in Michigan... There's a lot of taconite up there but it doesn't look anything like what you have so it could be another iron mineral other then that.

Steve