Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorite canes, rakes and such

Ive been bitten my the bug to tinker a bit. Anyone have info on recomendations for meteorite canes and or rakes. I just turned a head for a golf club to hold a 1x1 N48 cylinder for meteorite hunting. Im going to go ahead and order a few other magnets so i can bould a second cane but with a 2 x 1/2 magnet. I saw some mention about meteorite rakes and even assemblies to tow behind a vehicle and am looking for ideas to increase the odds and to just have fun with. Im going to see about getting some really big damaged magnets so i need so idea and pic wouldnt hurt.

Also what magets are most unsing for your canes? go_rob_go@yahoo.com

Sir, Welcome to the forum! Here is a link to the DIY section of the forums and one of the "Canes" I put together. It work well for the dry lakes, and small fragments. However, a good magnet and a trusty 'ol 7 iron works just as good. All depends on what you want to swing or do. Jason ;)

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=14078

Aloha,

7 iron? I always liked the sand wedge myself for the great angle you can get with the big magnets!laught16.gif

Seriously tho, you should just browse thru the DIY section of this forum as you will be surprised what kind of stuff you will find that others have made.

Good luck with the new hobby and as always "Be safe out there".

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Guest bedrock bob

Take a coil cover for the small elliptical Gold Bug coil. Purchase 2 2.5" X 3/4" circular Neo magnets from United Nuclear or Applied Magnets. Spray glue them (one at a time!) to the inside of the coil cover. Make or scrounge 2 aluminum "L" brackets that stick up above the coil cover so you can attach it to a pole. Fill the coil cover with casting resin, fiberglass resin, or epoxy and allow it to set up. Now, attach it to your metal detector pole and you have a super powerful magnet that will suck a Holbrook up from under 2" of loose sand. If you are hunting "H" meteorites just swap the magnet for a coil and you are detecting again.

Bob

Hi Robbor,

My son and I use an old #1 and a #3 irons we got for $4.00 each at Goodwill. Both irons have a 1" X 2" X .5" neodymium magnet stuck on the head. These are good for all around use. For special projects, I have a very heavy rake that has tines made out of 2" X 1"R neo cylinders. This rake will suck a buried anvil out of the ground. The best idea I have heard, is the one that Bob posted above. It allows great flexibility, function, and comfort.

Ben

Hey all just finished putting the magnet and cane and adapter all togather. My impressions are a tad to heavy and short. I removed the golf glub 1 wood head which weighted 6oz and replaced it with my aluminum adapter and 1x1 N48 cylinder which weigh about 4-4.5 oz. togather and the oal is 45". I could have shaved a tad more weight off the adapter probably 1/2 oz or so. and i also prefer the shaft to extend up my forearm more so less load is all on my wrist. I think im gonna try the next one with a light and long broom/mop handle and keep the magnet around 2" x 1/2" although i was eyeballing a 3 x 1/2. I already have a detector so i wont me going through the trouble of making a detector head full of magnets,lol. MY new big decector head is 8 x 14 and im sure i can cover more ground with that and faster. Ill see if i can get a pic up tommarrow. The cane is nice though. I still need to get a second magnet and build the 2nd cane before we head out to the desert or hiking.

Where are you located Robbor? Also do you have google earth? I have an awsome tool for you if you do.

Im in the San Fernando Valley, Sun Valley. I do have Google Earth but putor only has about 132K of memory and i need to add some more to get things running faster n better.