Nugget Shooter Forums
chuck,tx2

Things I wish I had done different .

When I was chasing that golden rainbow There are things I wished I had done different. #1, Is,I had kept my big mouth shut, & not tolled people that I met in the gold fields that I called friends, Hey Buddy see that little wash, I found a nice little patch there & 3 nice nuggets over by that big rock. The people you meet hunting gold are not your friends, they are COMPETITION, I have a bad habit of finding a patch & get side tracked & wonder off, thinking I will come back later. dumb dumb

#2 Is I wish I had bought a place in Meadevuew,AZ. Where I would be near the gold & when I got old & felt like it, I wouldn't have so darn far to travel. I live 1300 hundred miles from Qsite & when you are approaching that proverbial, Over The Hill, it is a fare peace.

Well The Boss Lady wonts me to play Skip O, So will put an end to this dribble. Take Care.

We all have those regrets.

Some, more than others.

I own several claims, that I could have & should have PATENTED.

About 1992 or 93, I began thinking the goverment would throw a wrench into that.

So, I started gearing up to file several patent applications.

Primarily, over large industrial mineral deposits, whiting grade limestome, glass making quality silica sand, etc.

About the time I was ready to file patent applications.

BINGO

Effective October 1, 1994, Congress imposed a moratorium on spending appropriated funds for the acceptance or processing of mineral patent applications that had not yet received First Half Final Certificate (FHFC) or were not in Washington, D. C. for Secretarial review of FHFC on or before September 30, 1994. Until the moratorium is lifted, the BLM will not accept any new applications.

So, sadly........ :olddude: ..........I has a dollar short & a couple years late on those.

Thank God, I did patent a couple others, long before that.

As far as letting out info (even to good buddies) on gold bearing ground, you discover.

I learned LONG AGO, never ever tell anybody & stake a claim over it quick.

My father (God bless his soul) taught me very early.

A secret is no longer a secret, if you tell ANYONE.

Simply, because you have no control over them.

I learned that lesson well..............

Aloha,

We have all been the way of "I wish I coulda,woulda, shoulda done that." I have met a couple of gold and meteorite hunters in the past that have actually helped me get started. I in turn have done my best to try and help out newbies only to be spurned by others who have told me NOT to help anyone out. Sorry dude, not my style. I always figure that if it comes down to them actually raping and pillaging a spot I found then more power to them and may their Karma pay them back 10 fold. I know that this is a "hobby" and is supposed to be fun BUT some guys actually take this hobby VERY serious and may get offended by this post. TUFF!

If you cant help others then why even bother with this hobby.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

My first sergeant once said" You grow too soon old, and too late smart" That goes for gold locations. "Tell one, you tell them all" !

Hey Chucktx2

I've been always the one to help any person I can.Now if I had discovered a nugget patch well that's another story.You could say that the honeymoon is over on telling where a nugget patch is until I've cleaned it out with the equipment I had.

Showing how it's done and helping them to get started I'm more than willing to do that.

What we should of done in the past is called History but what we do from this day on is what's important.

Chuck Anders

Same here Stan....like sharing and helping....

Aloha,

We have all been the way of "I wish I coulda,woulda, shoulda done that." I have met a couple of gold and meteorite hunters in the past that have actually helped me get started. I in turn have done my best to try and help out newbies only to be spurned by others who have told me NOT to help anyone out. Sorry dude, not my style. I always figure that if it comes down to them actually raping and pillaging a spot I found then more power to them and may their Karma pay them back 10 fold. I know that this is a "hobby" and is supposed to be fun BUT some guys actually take this hobby VERY serious and may get offended by this post. TUFF!

If you cant help others then why even bother with this hobby.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

At-a-boy, at-a-boy, at-a-boy. I was recently help by 4 great guys in Ca. One took me in and treated me like family, took me to his favorite spots, another took me out for a long day and helped a lot. Another give me his spot when he was heading home, where I found gold I might add. And another sold me a great pick at a give-a-way price. I took there gold, and all they would say is ( you worked hard for it) People like that make this the great hobby that it is. Two sides to every coin. Doug :twocents:

Yup, I'm with the Stan crowd as well. If you can't share the fun and excitement with a friend or two what fun is it?

I am not trying to come off here, as a BAD GUY.

I have spent countless hours, days, weeks & months helping novices to learn the mining laws, how to stake/file a claim & how to mine.

On any unpatented placer claims I own, I allow, even encourage & welcome anyone wanting to, to metal detect, pan, or use a sluice, so long as it is not motorized.

And, they are welcome to keep anything they find, free.

I have helped more peaple, find, stake & file more mining claims (for free) than I can count.

I figure this way, I have plenty & someone else should have any others open to entry out there, worth having.

As, you better get them, while the getting is good. :thumbsupanim

Which grandfathers you in, when the inevitable repeal of the 1872 mining law happens. :*&$*(:

Which, by the looks of it, will not be all that far down the road.......... :olddude:

Kulongoski worried Calif. gold miners may head for Oregon

04:35 PM PDT on Thursday, October 15, 2009

GRANTS PASS, Ore. -- Gov. Ted Kulongoski wants to head off recreational miners who are headed for "them thar hills" in Oregon after California stopped prospectors from using suction dredges to glean flecks of gold from salmon rivers.

The governor sent letters Thursday to Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Interior Secretary Ken Salazar asking them to impose what is known as a mineral withdrawal on federal lands surrounding the Kalmiopsis, Wild Rogue and Copper Salmon wilderness areas on the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest.

Conservation groups hope to meld the three wilderness areas and surrounding parts of southwestern Oregon into one big wilderness covering 1 million acres -- a move Kulongoski has endorsed. Mining is already restricted on the wilderness areas, but the mineral withdrawal would stop new claims in the areas surrounding them. The region includes portions of the Rogue, Illinois and Elk rivers.

The Siskiyou and Klamath mountains of southwestern Oregon were the site of Oregon's gold rush in the 1850s, and Kulongoski noted that the region has some of the best remaining salmon and steelhead habitat on the West Coast.

"With climate change increasing the pressures on plant and animal species, this area is a critical lifeboat providing intact habitat over a range of elevations from north to south," Kulongoski wrote. "We are very concerned that the suction dredge miners are now heading for Oregon."

The governor's policy director, Mike Carrier, said conservation groups had been urging the governor to call for the mining ban, and he decided to act now because of the potential for increased mining in the area causing harm before a formal wilderness designation is considered by Congress.

The area is just over the hill from Happy Camp, Calif., where mining on claims along the Klamath River owned by the New 49ers Prospecting Club was practically shut down in August. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed legislation imposing a statewide moratorium until an environmental review determines how much harm the practice is doing to struggling salmon runs.

Joel King, Wild Rivers district ranger on the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest, said he had noticed an increase in recreational gold mining that he attributed to rising gold prices and the California dredge moratorium.

Gold prices reached a record of $1,072 an ounce Wednesday.

"Just about anybody who was mining in Northern California has been looking at Oregon for the next season because it's being litigated in California right now and we don't know how that litigation will come out," said Mike Higbee, a Grants Pass gold miner and member of the New 49ers.

"If we are unable to overturn it before next season, it would only be a natural fact that California miners are going to be looking at Oregon -- and Washington and Idaho."

Montine Blevins of the New 49ers said club president Dave McCracken has scouted out public-access mining locations in Oregon and shared the locations with club members, but he has not made any new claims.

Higbee said he brought his own dredge over from Happy Camp to state-controlled land on the Rogue River. There were 10 other miners from California working the river, he added.

"There are 3,000 licensed suction dredgers (in California) that they have never proved killed a fish," Higbee said. "They also have 3.2 million licensed fishermen, and their goal is to kill fish."

Gloria Forest of Sutherlin, treasurer of the Douglas County Prospectors Association, said they regularly pull more lead fishing weights and other garbage out of rivers than gold.

Representatives from the departments of Interior and Agriculture said they had received the Kulongoski's letter and were reviewing it.

Yep the tell anyone about cash laying around is never a good idea. How many could you trust when you say there is $100,000 laying there under that rock.Most can justify that all to easily. I make my decision after talking to someone for a while. If it clicks then i will and have shared everything i know about prospecting.If you hit me right i will show you a few old patches and watch you find gold, There are those on the forum who can attest to this as gosple ,But if i do years of research and find a spot well then nothing is said till i get what i can, That said I,am fortunate enough to have 3 partners that know how to keep there flap shut and who would not even think of high grading the patch. Is it because I,am 6,6 ,No it is only because the course of my life has already taught me what to watch and look for or at,I have met all of my best friends thru this hobby.Here is a good lesson for the newbees, How do you think all those dealers keep finding all the gold they post? Well you sell some one equipment they get lucky. Who do they tell first. Almost bragging about how great it was and thanks for selling me that?+__. If it was not for you i would have never found it. Well my freinds,when you tell that dealer where it was, Most will go out with there buddies and clean it up. It has worked for Keene and i will not mention the others, I always was amazed about how when a good or famous prospector/detectorist is in a group how many tell there tales to these people so freely never realizing what they have done.I,am by no means popular but i have been told alot by alot of good people. My reply to them is mostly, I do not want to know but thanks,You see ,What happens after that is a great responsibility that few men can handle. As Mike C says {silence is golden}

I depended on gold & was very serious about finding it.. I know guys that say, I don't care if I don't find gold I had a good time any way, I went out there to find gold & I was a lot happier if I found it. No gold no $$. Gracie thought she had to eat every day & if she missed a meal she was hard to get along with, I made that statement (keep my mouth shut) after my hunt is nearly over & looking back. There has been 100s of people I have tried to help & put over gold, I don't think there is a man on this forum that would not do the same, We all wont our Friends to find gold, But when you take them to your patch & they find more & bigger nuggets than you ever found, 6 & 10 ounce-rs. It is hard to smile & wish them well. It makes you wonder if you have both ores in the water.

We all have different out looks depending on our position on the mountain. Take Care & have fun chuck,TX2

I wish I would have bought a sd2000 when they first came outwithstupidsmiley.gif Mike C...ph34r2.gif

Mike C aint that the truth. To be in those patches. at rye patch or rich hill. that must have been something WOW

Chuck no disregard to you.You know it better than most.Wish i was out there with you all back then .I have seen people that have watched people take out big jauns on a pointy finger,It is hard very few ever do it again,

I wish I had not had to have back :olddude: surgery. I could be out looking for the gold I left behind last year.

If you do this for a living, no doubt you better keep your mouth shut so you don't starve. For most of us though, detecting is a hobby we enjoy for many reasons and the friends we meet along the way will be among our most valuable finds.

Sean, I am not trying to disagree with you or change your mind but I have found if I tramp the hills & washes & find a few dinks & willing to tell & show where I found them. I have found more friends then I ever dreamed existed & I really enjoyed the popularity.

I don't know how long & how far you have traveled in that great search for the yellow but think you still have a way to go before you hang it up & quit the search, My search is about over & looking BACK on my long search is where I am coming from. Take Care, Chuck

:stupidrb: 1 of a 100 examples. Blackbone and I hit it BIG on a lousy little creek on a parcel of BLM permit property that we got for our club. We hit a righteous 1 1/2 lb streak with the biggie at 1.67 oz and showed some friends downstream who were wasting their time with a bamblebazooka junk. :arrowheadsmiley: By the next morning when we showed up there was a dozen folks and a 1/2 dozen rigs all over the poor tiny creek and not a 1 found squat :baaasmiley: I take'm out bank to bank/blast/ rip/tear and leave no boulder,crack,or crevive alone-EVER!! To quote a old saying-loose lips sink ships-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

John O, I could never keep from wondering off a patch to see what was over the next hill or down the wash around the bend. Thinking I would give it another go tomorrow. I always went back & found gold but never chained it and gave it a proper go. Looking back I wished I had thrashed the devil out of it. Never leave gold gold to find gold, I have herd that a thousand times, but the next hill would be calling me to take a look. If I had kept my mouth shut it would of been OK. Show & tell and I had instant Friends, That I ENJOYED more at the time than the gold. Most of my old Friends are gone, (RIP) & so is the gold. chuck

I wish I would have bought a sd2000 when they first came outwithstupidsmiley.gif Mike C...ph34r2.gif

Boy, ain't that the truth! I was in a lot better shape back then and hiking over hill and dale was not half as rough as it is today.

Bunk

Buying the 2100 was one of the things I did do. I found what became my largest patch with the old Whites Gold Master.

Bungee Bill & Little Billy were hunting Rye Patch & were really cleaning up with the Mine labs, Gracie told me to go & get me a Mine Lab before they came & cleaned out my patch with there new Detectors.

As long a she had plenty of beans she didn't care or know how much we had in the old Polk, which was pretty lean. I got in contact with Ray F. & asked him to bring me a 2100. I thought that I could make it pay by harvesting the deeper gold on bed rock that the G-M was unable to reach. I never found bedrock or gold, Most of The gold there was no deeper than 2 to 5".

I wish I would have spent more of those $5 bills in Viet Nam. :rolleyes:

Guest bedrock bob

No regrets at all here. Gold is good, relics are good, game is good, fishing is good. Thought I would do it for a living at one point and it took all the fun out of it. Made a hell of a lot better money working a day job and had a hell of a lot better time enjoying my hours outdoors.

Getting that Minelab back in the day when they were cleaning out the Caballos would have been good. I found most of the patches with an old Whites GM3 and a couple of real hot dogs with Minelabs got most of the gold. Oh well, no reall loss. Gold is nothing but a mixture of dirt and sweat and they provided the sweat so the yellow is theirs. I get to say that I found the NEW gold just like the fellow that finds the fresh meteorite fall. Those boys worried, fretted, and burned themselves out for a few pounds of gold and I made a hell of a lot more money staying in town during the week and keeping my recreation seperate from my bean getting.

Those boys would not leave gold to find gold either. They would hammer the same darn spot (loaded with shitty nickels) until they found that I was picking up dinks somewhere else. Then they would fly like geese to my new patch. Then came the day that I went miles south and within a couple of years they had lost all interest because their gold getting had tapered off considerably.

Those boys had the fever good. No deer hunting, no girlfriends, no trips to Mexico...They just didnt have the time because they were so busy taking care of gold fever.

Those boys had the fever good. No deer hunting, no girlfriends, no trips to Mexico...They just didn't have the time because they were so busy taking care of gold fever.

Bob, You described me to a tee. I have done all those thing you describe with a Passion but one at a time. I admire some one that can have a passion for Manny hobbies, But I have a one track mind & not enough Grey matter to apply to but one hobby at a time.

Hunting gold was the best, easiest job & money I ever had & have really enjoyed the search. The Fever Beats On.