Nugget Shooter Forums

Local Lakes

Howdy Folks, well Del, Mike, Ruben, and Paul have inspired me to get off my backside and look for some meteorites. I decided to hit a few of the local dry lakes around the Las Vegas Valley and tried my luck for a cold find. Unfortunately, no cold finds today, and the first lake was a bust, but I did find some other interesting info about possible gold in the area. :inocent: So that is a plus... :thumbsupanim

By the time I left and headed to the next lake it was about noon, and starting to get warm, but I said, "What the heck...". I walked clear across the lake and was using the sun to my advantage and found the first piece from a previous fall. I felt pretty good, but exhausted, so I headed back to the truck. As I was heading back, I ran into another piece, then another right after. Three pieces total. :ROFL:

One thing I learned that Ruben mentioned in passing, is that lighting plays an integral part to locating pieces. Keeping the sun to you back and adjusting for shadows.

The weights are 2.1, 2.3, and 3.4 gr. Persistence pays off...Jason ;)

DSC06199.jpg

DSC06207.jpg

DSC06208.jpg

Way to go Jason! Franconia and Gold Basin certainly are a lot of fun to hunt but after a while you get hungry for something different. Dry lake bed hunting is a completely different beast and you'll encounter a whole new set of challenges to overcome. Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it. Keep it up!

Del

Aloha Jason,

Way to go guy!thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Right now time is a luxury for me also. Putting on the finishing touches of some pics I took up in Utah of some native american artwork and should be back to meteorite hunting in a week. May end up doing the same thing just because of the short drive to the dry lakes versus the drive to gold basin or franconia.

If you have any tips for an old timer just email me direct.

Guess we will see how it goes.wacko.gif

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

Jason, Great Man!!!, :whoope: I also spent two days on the close side look'n for the remains of that previous fall(s). I didn't find any, but you did. Great!!! I did find a very small 0.3 g either iron or burnout kamacite shock crack, probably from a previous fall; I post it in a while. Man was cursing under may breath at the great Mr. G and later Mr. V for taking every last fragment. I'm glad you found some, so there is still hope. Good work!! Clifton

Fred, I'm still learning, but love just getting outdoors these days. I miss the days of taking off to go hunting and not having to worry about work. :*&$*(:

Del, I was pretty dialed in once I settled down and had some "Rage" on the iPod going... :head:

Stan, I'm up for it! The weekends are a bit crazy with the kids bowling, and Baseball, but Sunday is open. :idea:

Mike, you said it, time. It seemed I had more when I was in the AF, but I guess that confirms that I really didn't have a job (haha). Although the prospect of a placer claim in one of the areas is good news. :shhhhh::inocent:

Cliff, Yeah it is pretty hard with those who have hunted before us. However, we need to forge new ground and expand the areas. All the SW has potential, with previous areas still producing, but is a lot of fun just getting out and exploring. :thumbsupanim

Jason ;)

Hi Jason,

Nice going. We were just across the "wet" lake from you this weekend. I think the "Rage" gave you the mojo to make the finds. What would happen if you tweaked the tunes, and played "Cage the Elephant", or "Kaiser Chiefs"? Kudos on your hunting skills!!!

Ben

Ben, yes indeed "Cage the Elephant" is in there too, but I was stuck in a rut and needed more motivating tune-age... :head:

Frank, I was eyeballing and using the meteorite cane to check. Most of the local rocks on the lake were a light blue to pale blue with dark black ones intermixed. Once the light was at a certain angle the meteorites really stood out. :hmmmmm:

Jason ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on some nice pieces, Jason...What is the classification on those? ... Will they sound off on a detector? ... I think I probably would have walked over them if they don't ... WTG & Keep up the finds...Cheers,Unc

Ben, yes indeed "Cage the Elephant" is in there too, but I was stuck in a rut and needed more motivating tune-age... :head:

Frank, I was eyeballing and using the meteorite cane to check. Most of the local rocks on the lake were a light blue to pale blue with dark black ones intermixed. Once the light was at a certain angle the meteorites really stood out. :hmmmmm:

Jason ;)