Nugget Shooter Forums

My Equipment Is Paid For

Ant Man

Since starting gold prospecting I've spent about $1400.00 for my detector, shovels, pans, knee pads, etc etc etc, and have found about $100.00 worth of gold. But the amount of enjoyment from this hobby has made it more than worth the cost. I'm not complaining. I've come out ahead. Still I wonder if at some point I'll find enough gold to "cover" the cost of my gear?

Does anybody else think like this? I would like to hear some of your stories about your first gold find, and just the enjoyment you receive from being in the Great Outdoors.

Paul

Since starting gold prospecting I've spent about $1400.00 for my detector, shovels, pans, knee pads, etc etc etc, and have found about $100.00 worth of gold. But the amount of enjoyment from this hobby has made it more than worth the cost. I'm not complaining. I've come out ahead. Still I wonder if at some point I'll find enough gold to "cover" the cost of my gear?

Does anybody else think like this? I would like to hear some of your stories about your first gold find, and just the enjoyment you receive from being in the Great Outdoors.

Paul

Humm well i have found about 20 bucks worth of gold and spent about 5 grand on goods. Detector and supplys gas ect. over 2 years. but i have ha a ton of fun. And im getting close to gold. hehehe

My detector has paid for itself in the past year and 1/2 in gold alone not counting the meteorite collection I have going.

The day I found my first gold I came across 3 pieces that was an exciting start for me .

The thrill is in the hunt the worth while targets are a BONUS. :thumbsupanim

Hi Paul and All

I have paid for all of my detecters except my ol sdturd 2000 that ol piece of junk could find a nugget if it fell out of the sky and hit it on the coil :angry-smiley-010[1]: . My goldmasters have generated about a 1000 xs return on thier original new costs :wub: . My sd2100 maybe paid for itself my 3000 and 3500 maybe 2 to 4 or 5 times their original new prices :shrug: . However since I don't sell my finds I may never know the actual values of my finds :hmmmmm: ?? However the cost of the picks I've wore out over the years diggin trash has probably put me slightly ahead of even :whaaaa: . If you have any doubts You can check out a small portion of my nugget and meteorite collection at the Az Mine and Mineral in downtown Pheonix :unsure: . Hang in thier and hunt off the beaten paths :) !! Happy Huntin John B.

:thumbsupanim:thumbsupanim Ant man, If I had sold the Silver nugget when I first found it, then I could say that I paid for my gas and all my equiptment. :thumbsupanim Now I am so far in the hole that I will never get out, but I love it. I go out every chance that I get.Keep on trucking, Its the enjoyment that you get that counts, and not the gold. ( Its looking for it) Happy hunting . Doug

Antman, it's the hunt. If you find something, that's the gravy. I go out every Saturday, even in well worked out spots, trying diffent coils, approaches, settings and what have you, even different machines. It's all good! Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't, but it's all good experience.

If you let the pressure of gotta pay for the experience get to you, get married (just kidding!). Enjoy the hunt!

Shep

Hi Paul and All

Ol Shep has the perfect reply :shrug: !! If he wasn't soo homely and voting for Pelosi I think the Govenator would hire him as a driver for his ol lady :huh: . Then she could babble on the phone all day long :nono: . I think they worry that his beard would get tangled on the rear view mirror when hemi's wizz pass their limos :D !! Happy Huntin John B.

Had a few cocktails, so pardon me. :rolleyes:

One of the nicest detector experiences, I ever had, was outside Nevada City, on the Yuba river near Hoyts crossing.

Working the side banks of the river, stumbled into about a dozen collage girls, skinny dipping.

About the same time I noticed them, got a strong BEEP.

Rather than ogle the girls, I knelt down to dig it.

Dug about 4 inches down, picked up detector to re-scan hole..

Still had a strong BEEP.

Knelt down to dig hole deeper.

About 3 inches deeper, found a nice sized flat nugget, about the size/thickness of a penny.

Whooped, rather loudly, and cleaning nugget in the palm of my hand, several shadows fell over me.

I looked up to see, 4 topless collage girls standing around me, curious to see what I found, that made me whoop so loudly.

That experience, more than paid for the detector, I was using. (GRIN) :inocent:

Ant Man, I just had to get out yesterday. I hadn't swung for 6 weeks. It was a beautiful day. I had a great hike in the gorgeous country of central AZ. I dug through granitic sand all the way to red clay. Sure enough, I detected metal. What's to complain?????

post-22053-125587169911_thumb.jpg

:thumbsupanim Gold mining has paid for everything in my life from cancer to kids college for over 25 solid years and now??? :olddude: age :*&$*(: and bureauRATZ are trying to kill off even that :baaasmiley: sic sic world-John

I have yet to find a prospecting equipment dealer who is willing to front equipment so I presume everybody's equipment is "paid for". Like others have said, the challenge and thrill of the hunt is what drives me. We came into this world with nothing and we'll leave with nothing. What we do in between is what matters. Look at it like the proverbial Mastercard commercial...

Shotgun..........$795

Metal detector..$1400

Lab Pup.........$350

Memories like these.... priceless!

post-740-125587185447_thumb.jpg

post-740-1255871885_thumb.jpg

post-740-125587204376_thumb.jpg

Had a few cocktails, so pardon me. :rolleyes:

One of the nicest detector experiences, I ever had, was outside Nevada City, on the Yuba river near Hoyts crossing.

Working the side banks of the river, stumbled into about a dozen collage girls, skinny dipping.

About the same time I noticed them, got a strong BEEP.

Rather than ogle the girls, I knelt down to dig it.

Dug about 4 inches down, picked up detector to re-scan hole..

Still had a strong BEEP.

Knelt down to dig hole deeper.

About 3 inches deeper, found a nice sized flat nugget, about the size/thickness of a penny.

Whooped, rather loudly, and cleaning nugget in the palm of my hand, several shadows fell over me.

I looked up to see, 4 topless collage girls standing around me, curious to see what I found, that made me whoop so loudly.

That experience, more than paid for the detector, I was using. (GRIN) :inocent:

Old Gold Miner, do you have pictures? Not the gold, (the girls) :thumbsupanim:thumbsupanim Great Story. Doug

Old Gold Miner,

I have to give that spot a try! One experience like that and all is paid for. Except maybe my divorce :spinnin:

Antman

JOHNNY!!!!!!!!

At least Pelosi is consistant ( dead wrong, but consistant); your John McCain swings back and forth, like a pendulum on a clock! AS Arnold can't be govenator here in CA anymore; heard he's pulling a Hillary and moving to AZ. They got alot more money there, than we do here.

You get your property all straightened out and making money? Probably have to make 3 trips a week to the bank. Need to teach your wife to do the deposits, then maybe you could get out detecting more. (Missed your pointy finger at RP). Even had my own cigarettes-

Shep

Hi All

Slim unfortunatly my ol lady saw the picture of those poor dead pigeons on your hood :whaaaa: !! She's gonna turn loose the attack birds on you if you ever show up at my house :yikes: !! They will turn you into hamburger meat in less than 15 minutes :shrug: !! Wow Shep you actually brought your own smokes :cigar: ?? Was it wacky tobaccy with you Ca permit :unsure: ?? Happy Huntin John B.

Guest bedrock bob

Well, I bought a new SD2100 last January and had that unit paid off within 4 months. I have found just less than 5 oz. gold, 3.5 lbs of silver, 33 Glorieta meteorites, and a whole bucketfull of neat artifacts (tokens, faro pieces, an old watch, religious medallions, etc.).

Yeah, I havent sold a darn thing but even at the most conservative estimates I can cover the purchase price of the detector, the two Coiltek coils, three Li batteries and the two power regulators (one fried in a downpour).

The secret is not in the detector, or the purchase price, but how many hours you spend swinging the detector over the ground. Only a handfull of these targets would have been missed by my old GBII (and it has paid for itself many years ago). The fact that a new detector gave me some motivation to spend those extra hours probably made some difference...

Bedrock Bob

Ol Gold miner- I want some of what you be drinking! :thumbsupanim

Slim, don't worry bout them 'attack birds', just throw them a computer-

John, no wacky tobacky for me, would probably mellow me out and wouldn't get anything done :unsure:

Shep

During my 50 yrs of detecting, with detectors I cant remember, interring every hunt where ever,Finding a little silver & a lot of junk & a bunch of friendly people. Money wise I dug a deep hole, but I think I still came out ahead with all the fun I had.

After I quit work at 55, at a job I hated I still had to make a living but I didn't conceder it work for I did what I enjoyed, Sold metal detectors, & junk that turned out to be collectibles that I picked up over the years, wood carved signs, carved Trappers & Indians out of drift wood, It was at Qsite where I went to sell in the winter that I discovered that there was gold laying out there in the desert waiting for me. That was when I started to make expenses & payback for all the money I invested in having a great time.

Whites Gold master, 2100, 2200, 4000, Mine Labs, Gold bug 2, & all the stuff that it takes to support them. Two 6 months trips to Australia Which I think gold has payed for it all, For I had to sell gold as I found it. there is no way I could afford to go & do the things we enjoyed.

Sorry to drag this out but it has been a long trip & it is not over as yet.I have 2 lb of gold nuggets left ( more or less) to sell & then it will be very close to being over. Take Care Every One Chuck

post-873-125604949219_thumb.jpg

Good luck Chuck, You're not draggin it out We love to hear your comments/stories.

It sounds to me you have been blessed in a way by being able to do the things you have told us, and you actually have and are living a dream or passion that many of us share with you.

THANKS for your contribution to the forum and may you carry on at the pastimes you enjoy so much. :thumbsupanim

Chuck,tx2,

Thanks for sharing your experiences out in the fields. Never know if you're gonna find gold, silver, scrap metal, ammo, or maybe even an old sword or box of treasure. You always go out hunting with a hope, but you always have to settle for what you find. And if that's new friends or a day in the sun, yeah, that's a good day.

I keep thinking about that 2 lbs of gold you still have left. It's out there. Just gonna have to keep trying my luck and enjoy the ride.

Ant Man