Nugget Shooter Forums

Saw a meteor fall

My wife and I were comming home from Fallon Nevada last friday 2nd at around 11 oclock pm and saw a meteor fall out over a dry lake bed. When it was about 100 yards above the ground it burnt out,from the trajectory it would have hit around the edge of the dry lake bed, but I dont know anything about these things if it burnt out does that mean it dissintegrated before hitting the ground. I'm thinking of going out there looking for it or there may be others in the same area maybe what would a freshly fallen meteorite look like it wouldnt be weathered I wouldnt think like some that have been laying there for years right? Any thoughts you folks could share would be helpfull.

Depth perception of a falling meteor is very difficult to judge from any distance- under any circumstances. What may have looked like a close fall, could in reality, be miles away. It wouldn't hurt to look but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much... :twocents: :twocents: Did you hear any noises as it was falling?

Steve

No couldnt hear anything was driving home when we seen it. it was fairly close by the way it looked I figured 3/4 to a mile away. Youre right depth perception could be off, but would make a cool find I think.

I didn't mean to discourage you but it's hard enough trying to find a meteorite or a strewnfield based on multiple sightings, much less a single sighting like yours.

But that dry lake you mention sure sounds like a great place for old falls. Unless it's been hunted extensively already, I just have to believe you have a good chance of finding one there and you will not even need a metal detector. You can walk it or you can use an ATV to find the darker colored rocks that stand out. Just make sure you go slow so you don't miss anything. If you're really serious , you can grid it for full coverage.

Steve

Thank you Steve for your input and yes I am serious about looking for this fall, Or any older ones,It was just amazing to see one that close..My judgement on distance could well be off,but Im a die hard anyway. I know my indian stuff and what to look for there,I'm learning the gold searching and getting better, thanks to this site and people on it,now the meteorite stuff is new to me but I walk miles and miles thru Nevada every year and I dont want to think I have walked over something important .Thank you for your help

I'm no meteorite expert but I think between 80 -90% of all meteorites will be attracted to a magnet. Most will have a strong attraction. A few will be really weak. If you plan on hunting that dry lake- a really strong magnet (neodymium) on the end of a stick is an absolute necessity. Simply walk or drive around until you come across a suspect stone and check it for magnetic properties. If you come across a stone that looks like a meteorite but shows no attraction- by all means keep it and have an expert check it out for you later on. The ones that show no magnetic attraction are probably the most valuable.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

Steve