Nugget Shooter Forums

A New Rare Arizona Find plus a NEW Meteorite Strwnfield

Hi All,

I don't post on here much but thought you might be interested.

On September 24, 2009 I made (what I think will be) one of the most important Arizona meteorite finds of my life. I found what is probably a very rare achondrite meteorite. I say probably because no one can definitively say what type it is just by looking. It is currently being classified at ASU by Lawrence Garvie – so we will soon know.

Here is a link

http://www.mr-meteorite.net/ararearizonafind.htm

This past weekend – in an attempt to find more - I put together a team of top notch meteorite hunters (Mike Miller, Sonny Clary, Stan Wall, Del Waterbury, Mike Morgan and Myself). Unfortunately, between the rains and mud we all came up empty.

After checking the weather (online) with a very helpful Susan Morrison we decided that in order to get out of the rain we needed to head east. Within a sort time we found ourselves in an area in New Mexico where no finds have been recorded.

We hunted for an hour or two when I spotted Mike Morgan and Del examining a stone. Sure enough Del had found his first cold find and it was a very fresh looking meteorite!

Mike Morgan was next to find one and then shortly after I did too.

We think this may prove to be a “NEW” and very fresh New Mexico Strewn field. Time will tell as we return to hunt for more of these beautiful crusted specimens in the weeks to come.

Take a look

http://www.mr-meteorite.net/newmexicometeorites.htm

Ruben Garcia

Phoenix, Arizona

WWW.Mr-Meteorite.Net

Aloha Ruben,

Nice job guys! Yeah, I would be jazzed too if I were to find a specimen from a new fall. But for now I am back to documenting some Native American Artwork for a non-profit organization that is trying to document/save these places before the bad guys find them and attack them with their portable power saws and grab them for profit.

:shrug:

Keep up the great work guys and maybe one day some of us poor schmucks can also join in on the action. :laught16:

Aloha and as usual be safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

Hey welcome to the forum Rob, nice to see you posting here!

Ruben I love your new find and look forward to finding out what kind of meteorite it is once the classification comes through. It sure is a beauty! :bowdown: Thanks for inviting me out, what a great hunt that turned out to be. I honestly didn't think I would come home with a cold find under the belt! Many thanks to you and Sonny who's idea it was to hunt that location.

In-situ pic-

dels_cold_find_in-situ.jpg

Close up pic-

Dels_cold_find.jpg

Weighed in at 3.5 grams

That was a fun weekend and I'm looking forward to getting back out there to hunt for some more soon. Hopefully this will turn into something BIG!

Del

Very Nice, Ruben!!! Too bad, our loss that youse guys took your posts elsewhere...best of luck expanding the possible new field.

Fred

Hey Fred,

Thanks for the comments! My deciding to stop posting here is just me trying to stay out of trouble. It gets old telling people over and over that they aren't likely to find a meteorite in a parking lot or sea shore. Then they get mad - So I stopped coming since they wouldn't listen.

We can try to teach but if they won't learn what are we to do?

Thanks again,

Aloha Ruben,

Nice job guys! Yeah, I would be jazzed too if I were to find a specimen from a new fall. But for now I am back to documenting some Native American Artwork for a non-profit organization that is trying to document/save these places before the bad guys find them and attack them with their portable power saws and grab them for profit.

:shrug:

Keep up the great work guys and maybe one day some of us poor schmucks can also join in on the action. :laught16:

Aloha and as usual be safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

Thanks Stan,

It is only a matter of time before Mike and Del find a really rare rock too!

Hey guys,

Outstanding finds and congrats on the new strewnfield! Del, congrats on your cold find! You didn't have to fuzz over the cords did you? It would have been nice to see them. Just kidding. Kudos to you all.

Dean

Hi Ruben,

Congrats on your new cold find. It looks very exotic and the classification is bound to be interesting. Thats a wild looking matrix on the interior.

Del, Mike, and Ruben,

Kudos on your new field in New Mexico. Its awesome to find a new field like that. I hope you guys get many more. Nice Crust. Do they feel like L's or H's?

Ben

Congrats on the new finds. I hope you have better luck with Laurence Garvie than I did. My “new finds”, sent over 2.5 years ago, were thin sectioned but no analysis done. My old friend Dr. Moore couldn’t seem to identify the problem with the lab. I finally asked for the samples to be returned a couple months ago and they were returned promptly. As it turns out, one is a new Kansas chondrite, the other is a new Kansas achondrite. Analysis is done on the latter and should be in the bulletin in the not too distant future. I’ve stopped sending anything to ASU, oh well, oh well, I guess my feathers don’t match :grin: . don

(ps, there is something wrong with the display on your gps, can’t read the coordinates! :D ).

I hear you, Ruben, I hear you...however your not posting only deprives the rest of us of your experience and wisdom. I have taught a few things, given a few talks and endeavored to instruct more than a few people...there is no way to make anyone learn, listen or change...unless they chose to. You can only offer they must recieve.

Anyway, there is also the entertainment you deny me when you lose your patience and get snappy...what is life without fun????

Del; I miss you too. You write well, are intelligent and determined...an excellent example for all! How about sharing a pic of your other find? Please....

best wishes to all

Fred

Congrats on the new finds. I hope you have better luck with Laurence Garvie than I did. My “new finds”, sent over 2.5 years ago, were thin sectioned but no analysis done. My old friend Dr. Moore couldn’t seem to identify the problem with the lab. I finally asked for the samples to be returned a couple months ago and they were returned promptly. As it turns out, one is a new Kansas chondrite, the other is a new Kansas achondrite. Analysis is done on the latter and should be in the bulletin in the not too distant future. I’ve stopped sending anything to ASU, oh well, oh well, I guess my feathers don’t match :grin: . don

(ps, there is something wrong with the display on your gps, can’t read the coordinates! :D ).

Thanks Dean,Erik,and Dustin. Ben and I hunted unsuccessfully for two weeks for the recent Tucson fall. So finding these space rocks was really cool.

Fred, after a few more posts I will likely head back to my cave but thanks for the nice words.

Hey Don,

Laurence is really cool and asked to do the work on this rare specimen. Later this week he and I will be doing a radio program about meteorites for the BBC. He is a great guy as are all the crew at ASU. Having said that they are way undermanned and need help. I have taken my finds (chondrites) home and thrown them in a box - no one will do the work anymore.

I'm surprised they didn't do your achondrite.

P.S. lets go find a few brenhams.....

Ruben,

I just saw the pics of your Arizona find. WOWWW!!!!! That is freaking sweeet!!! Congrats on your rare find. Hows it look on possibly finding more pieces?

Would love to hunt the N.M. field with you guys.

Dean

Ruben that is a great find, just goes to show the more you hunt the more your odds increase.

Del, way to go on beating me to a cold find.And just to boot your meteorite is bigger than mine LOL

Hats off to you my friend, you have earned it.

Now lets get back out there and find the big ones.

3.4g

SD531023.jpg

Mike

Thanks for the congrats everyone. I tend to agree with Mike, the more you hunt the more your odds increase. I just got lucky and tapped the right rock with my magnet. It could have happened to anyone of us hunting that day.

Del

Actually Rocco I've heard both of those guesses a lot. I think you may be right.

Good deal! With luck the classification will go quick and smooth. The desert I'm stuck in isn't as easy to search I can promise you that! Good luck, and get out there and find the rest.

[Rocco]