Nugget Shooter Forums

Old Chinese Box Lid and Gold

Steve asked me to post these for him. The specimen and Chinese lid were both found is some old tailing piles near but not at Rye Patch. The other nugget was found at Rye Patch.

Steve, Dean (bado1) and I spent 4 days exploring the areas around Rye Patch and looking for the elusive chevron nuggets. None of us scored a chevron nugget but Steve found his first specimen which was also his first find from a tailing pile. Dean also scored his first nugget with a metal detector which came in at respectable 0.2 grams.

If anyone knows what this relic is or can translate the writing please let us know. It was amazing that Steve dug it out at over 1-foot deep and did not do any damage to it with his pick. He even found the corner that was already broken off.

post-21385-1254338337_thumb.jpg post-21385-1254338353_thumb.jpg post-21385-1254338371_thumb.jpg

I downloaded one of the pictures and emailed it to one of my friends who fluently speaks and writes chinese. Here's what he said-

It is Chinese. It looks like a store name. I can’t decipher the first character. I’m going to ask my wife. The second character means happiness, the third character means prosperous

HH, can you read the first character? It looks like an alternative writing of 遠, which means far or remote.

If I guess it right, then the plate means "To have happiness and prosperity in a far away place", which is a typical name for a Chinese store in the US.

Thats a neat thing to see, personally I'd take it over the gold nugget anyday!

Del

When you find Chinese stuff it points to a good gold location. On the ohter hand the Chinese cleaned out those spots. They did not miss much. Nice find!

When you find Chinese stuff it points to a good gold location. On the ohter hand the Chinese cleaned out those spots. They did not miss much. Nice find!

You are right about that! I was at Italain Bar once when a fellow built a special winch to move a huge flat boulder in the middle of the river, after moving it you could plainly see the marks left on the bed rock where it had been wedged up off the bottom with oak wedges so they could clean under it, it had a 1 OZ quartz and gold speiemen and a chinese brass alam clock under it with some broken opium bottles. They had to have washed in later. I have a picture of the guy but can't remember his name and can't get the picture to post on here.

If you look up on the hillside above the camp you can plainly see the ditch where they flumed the water out of the river with so the could dry it up.

Just above the old bridge at Scotts River LDMA camp the claim owner built a cofferdam in the acicent river channel that crosses the Scott there and put a track hoe in after they had pumped it dry, as deep as the track hoe could dig they where still in chinese bean pots, bottles and other china stuff, this was in the middle of the Scott!

No they didn't miss much!

:confused0013: :Huh_anim]: :tisc-tisc: Do you really think opium came in those little green bottles? :hmmmmmm:

Dave,

It depended on the location of the store. In the cities bottles were used a lot. Out in the remote areas tins and tins with sealing lids were used. I have an old sealed tin that I found in the Big Bear area.

Bob :coffeetime:

Not to rock the boat but Opium did not come in those little bottles,medicine did.Your relic is the lid off of a Opium Tin,we dig hundreds of them.I really like them though and although I dont know what the writing says,I have several different types.We always find them in Chinese camps but they were not restricted to just the Chinese they pop up in plenty American camps too!!!

:icon_mrgreen: Kuger is the man--we've found them with the black solid gunk wrapped in a wax paper(i think wax??-what ya say K)and it still reeked of o bigtime. White folks & miners prefered our LAUDNUMB(please forgive spelling?) which was just another snake oil medicine generously seeped in morphene or o dependant on prices. FANTASTIC finds though. I'm gonna search through my relic pile and see what mine say?? thanx for the righteous pics--tons a au 2 u2 -John

The place where Steve found the lid and the specimen had been worked in a big way. Absolutely amazing what the Chinese miners were able to do with just hand tools! There was at least a half a mile of tailing piles, shafts, and various other diggings.

This area had no permanent water source yet there were discrete classified tailing piles everywhere. The piles seemed to be classified in to three sizes... large cobbles, approx. 2in. rocks, then fines. Sometimes the larger 2in. stuff was on top of the finer stuff. My question is did the Chinese drywash this material?

Dean

Cool, definately number 2, Sheung Wan Fook Lung. Great info, thanks Dave and others.

P.S. This was my first WSPA outing. Met a lot of great people. Denny, Roger, Nevada Chris & Wilma, Reno Chris, Bunk who I have known a couple years & his son Calvin, Del, Matt, Herb, Martin, John Kishi, Shep, Richs, and others who's names I don't remember. And I want to thank Dean & Casey for taking me. Had a great time.

Take care all...

Steve

Thanks guys for all the information.

To me it looks just like number 2. Sheung Wan Fook Lung. I mirrored the picture of the back and the lettering is much easier to make out.

post-21385-1254424130_thumb.jpg

Right on Haderly! I did a side by side composite photo of a mirror image and Steve's find. No doubt it is #2.

post-3372-1254432650_thumb.jpg

Cantonese = Sheung Wan Fook Lung.......Mandarin = Shangwan Fulong........Characters = 上環福隆

Great find Steve!

Thanks for the link Dave.

Cool, definately number 2, Sheung Wan Fook Lung. Great info, thanks Dave and others.

P.S. This was my first WSPA outing. Met a lot of great people. Denny, Roger, Nevada Chris & Wilma, Reno Chris, Bunk who I have known a couple years & his son Calvin, Del, Matt, Herb, Martin, John Kishi, Shep, Richs, and others who's names I don't remember. And I want to thank Dean & Casey for taking me. Had a great time.

Take care all...

Steve

Definately a great time! It was a pleasure meeting all those great people for me as well.

Thanks to Casey and Steve for everything.

Dean

:icon_mrgreen: Kuger is the man--we've found them with the black solid gunk wrapped in a wax paper(i think wax??-what ya say K)and it still reeked of o bigtime. White folks & miners prefered our LAUDNUMB(please forgive spelling?) which was just another snake oil medicine generously seeped in morphene or o dependant on prices. FANTASTIC finds though. I'm gonna search through my relic pile and see what mine say?? thanx for the righteous pics--tons a au 2 u2 -John

Thanks John,it is a black gunk like tar!!It is amazing how much of that stuff they used.They were incredibly efficient miners though and suffered unbelievable punishment at the hands of everybody.Thanks Dave for that link!!!That is one I have not seen,I will have to go through my lids and see how many different kinds I have!Here is a pic of a cache of Chinese coins I found in an opium tin a couple of years ago......unfortunately I destroyed the box digging it out

post-3069-1254452405_thumb.jpg

It is the lid off an opium kit, I have 3 complete kit that I have found. Cool find

Kit???What do you mean?These are the cans the opium bricks were shipped in.Were there other implements being stored in one maybe?

The boxes held the implements and the opium they would smoke, Sometimes you will find coins and tiles from a game that they would play. A complete kit can bring up to 20,000. The kits were left behind when they ran out of opium.

The boxes held the implements and the opium they would smoke, Sometimes you will find coins and tiles from a game that they would play. A complete kit can bring up to 20,000. The kits were left behind when they ran out of opium.

I agree a kit would be valuable but I disagree that these cans were kit containers,read the awesome link Dave provided above.I have found literally hundreds of these tins and I have yet found one piece of a "KIT".