Nugget Shooter Forums

advise on starting out with metal detector

old digger

:confused0013: I,am mainly a gold miner using a sluice box and pan. going to get into using a metal detector to add to the fun. sooo what brand or type would you old experts suggest, as long as its not over $1000.00. will be using it primarely for gold ,in and out of the water, nothing over one foot deep. I have never used one, but I have a friend who uses it and he gets alot more yellow bits that me. any and all help will be great THANKS!

I could recommend whites electronics to you. Manufactured right in Sweethome Oregon. I've been using a whites GM3 for 10 years now. It has variable frequency so interference with other detectors is less of a problem. there are some newer models, too, the GM4-B ,GMT, MXT etc. The GM is Gold Master series. By the way my deepest nugget was 2.1 gram at 12 inches down with the original monocoil. Good luck to you.

Mike G. :icon_mrgreen:

:icon_mrgreen: Run, don't walk, to your local club-be it gem & mineral, gold, or detectors and smooze with the local yokels. You are attempting to learn detecting upside down-nugget shooting is the hardest form their is. Locals have claims, expertise, outings, classes and GREAT RETIRED FOLKS who love to spread the fever. There are sooooooooo many great nugget machines out there now(used but not abused too) that will fill your needs nicely. You'll have to practice,practice and then some more and most folks bow out long before as it is indeed work!! tons a au 2 u 2 -John :icon_mrgreen:

DD's can be round, mono's can be round, both can also be elliptical, DD's are good in hot ground and mono's tend to be able to get smaller gold in milder ground. On a Whites I think you would be better off with a DD. If your detecting in the water, you might look into a GarrettThey make a waterproof PI gold detector called the infinium, several people have had great luck with them, including Jim Striaght, I think he has two of them he likes them so much. Grubstake

Thanks,

I understand that it costs about $100 for every inch in depth detection.

So I'm figuring on about 4" depth and water proof.

Is that generally deep enough for shallow stream ( 3' ) and not much overburden ( 2 to 8" ) on the Bedrock?

based on retail sales prices about $100.00 an inch.

I know of many experienced detectorists that quote that as a general rule.

:tisc-tisc:

It doesnt make any sense. What size nugget are we talking about ?

Sure if you've got a 2 ounce solid gold nugget, a cheapie detector will see it. But there are not that many 2 ouncers out there to find. On the other hand you might have a half gram nugget and the cheapie detector wont see it even when its touching the coil.

Mineralization makes a huge difference as well. Cheapie detectors will squak and chatter all over and a faint nugget sound will be lost in among all the noise and you wont hear a thing. Mineralization also severely reduces the depth a cheapie detector will detect a target. Most do not have the capability to deal with strong mineralization.

If you want to hunt for gold with a detector, you need one designed with gold prospecting in mind. Dont buy some cheapie coin and jewelry detector and think you will be 80% as effective as the guy with the $5,000 unit. There are some nice VLFs made with gold in mind out there and they are very effective. They have some limitations, but definitly can find gold.

Chris

:confused0013: I,am mainly a gold miner using a sluice box and pan. going to get into using a metal detector to add to the fun. sooo what brand or type would you old experts suggest, as long as its not over $1000.00. will be using it primarely for gold ,in and out of the water, nothing over one foot deep. I have never used one, but I have a friend who uses it and he gets alot more yellow bits that me. any and all help will be great THANKS!

Old Digger,

Given the budget that you would like to stay under, the following machines are very good at finding gold. They are all VLF machines. If you want to move up to a PI machine your budget will be starting at 1500.

Whites: GM series, GMT MXT

Fisher: Gold Bug 2

Toroso: Super Lobo

Minelab: Eureaka

I have used all but the Minelab and have done well with all. My personal preference is the Gold Bug 2.

Bob

Old Digger,

Given the budget that you would like to stay under, the following machines are very good at finding gold. They are all VLF machines. If you want to move up to a PI machine your budget will be starting at 1500.

Whites: GM series, GMT MXT

Fisher: Gold Bug 2

Toroso: Super Lobo

Minelab: Eureaka

I have used all but the Minelab and have done well with all. My personal preference is the Gold Bug 2.

Bob

Bob,

I too prefer the GB2, but I had difficulty keeping it ground balanced when I was down in Stanton AZ at Rich Hill a couple of years ago. I haven't had many problems with it here in Colorado. I got a Minelab SD2200V2 earlier this year figuring I would have the best of both worlds. My GB2 does great at finding gold in cobble and tailing piles, especially when I rake them out and down to a reasonable size, but not that great finding something big like a quarter oz or larger . It's also great checking my dry washing piles. Hopefully the Minelab will punch down in depth in mineralized ground where my GB2 won't, and that each can be a backup when the situation is right, but that's just my 2 cents on the subject.

h20prospector

Maybe I misunderstood, h2Oprospector. Why wouldn't the GB2 "be that great at finding a quarter ouncer or larger"? It screams at .1 gramers a couple of inches down.

Old Digger, My vote would be the Whites GMT or the Gold Bug 2. Fairly easy to learn and fits easily in to your budget.

Dean

Maybe I misunderstood, h2Oprospector. Why wouldn't the GB2 "be that great at finding a quarter ouncer or larger"? It screams at .1 gramers a couple of inches down.

Old Digger, My vote would be the Whites GMT or the Gold Bug 2. Fairly easy to learn and fits easily in to your budget.

Dean

I was referring to finding that size of nugget down deep, at least that's what I meant to say. It's a great machine finding gold near the surface, so I'm positive it would find a larger nugget a couple of inches down. Has anyone with a GB2 found good size gold deeper than 6 inches? The loud ZIP ZIP get the blood boiling and even more so when I flip to iron disc and hear an equally loud ZAP ZAP the old pumper is racing like a train, hoping it's not a small piece of trash. I'm just using the sensitive 6 1/2 " coil. I normally don't take my 10" with me. It's possible I'm not doing something right. Help me correct it if I'm goofing up, please.

I have a Fisher Gold Bug-2 with a standard size eliptical coil, 14" eliptical coil, and a small size eliptical coil. I've used it once on a trip to Arizona at Quartzite/Yuma area. The smallest coil was best in the worst ground mineral situations. In fact I cut pieces of 1/4" foam to fit the coil "top" and "bottom" which means the whole coil wrapping it with duct tape. Even in the hot rock mode you could find tiny birdshot in bad ground and plenty of them. It is a small coil and when sufficiently padded can be shoved up close around boulders or into bushes.

I was referring to finding that size of nugget down deep, at least that's what I meant to say. It's a great machine finding gold near the surface, so I'm positive it would find a larger nugget a couple of inches down. Has anyone with a GB2 found good size gold deeper than 6 inches? The loud ZIP ZIP get the blood boiling and even more so when I flip to iron disc and hear an equally loud ZAP ZAP the old pumper is racing like a train, hoping it's not a small piece of trash. I'm just using the sensitive 6 1/2 " coil. I normally don't take my 10" with me. It's possible I'm not doing something right. Help me correct it if I'm goofing up, please.

O.K., that makes me feel better. Thought I might have been walking over quarter ouncers or something!

I swung the larger coil on a GB2 at Rye Patch for four days last week as it will go a little deeper and is still super sensitive. The small coil is great for hunting small shallow bed rock areas for really,really small stuff. The large coil still finds bird shot at 2-3 inches! I recovered a .2 gram nugget at 3 inches. I'm sure the light mineralization at Rye Patch helped as it was a fairly easy task to maintain good ground balance in low mineralization mode with the sensitivity cranked from 6 to 8.

No 1/4 ouncers at six inches. Although, in a place like RP, with easy soil conditions, I think the larger coil could do it as I dug some trash at suprising depths. I think I would stick to the larger coil and gain a little more depth as it is still extremely sensitive and use the small coil for "sniping" nooks and crannies. :twocents:

Oh yea, don't put too much faith in the IRON DISC mode. Dig all good targets! Haderly and I did a little experiment in a tailing pile and if I had gone on what the ID mode said I would have walked away from gold only a couple of inches down.

Dean

O.K., that makes me feel better. Thought I might have been walking over quarter ouncers or something!

I swung the larger coil on a GB2 at Rye Patch for four days last week as it will go a little deeper and is still super sensitive. The small coil is great for hunting small shallow bed rock areas for really,really small stuff. The large coil still finds bird shot at 2-3 inches! I recovered a .2 gram nugget at 3 inches. I'm sure the light mineralization at Rye Patch helped as it was a fairly easy task to maintain good ground balance in low mineralization mode with the sensitivity cranked to 8.

No 1/4 ouncers at six inches. Although, in a place like RP, with easy soil conditions, I think the larger coil could do it as I dug some trash at surprising depths. I think I would stick to the larger coil and gain a little more depth as it is still extremely sensitive and use the small coil for "sniping" nooks and crannies. :twocents:

Dean

I sometimes engage the mouth, or fingers in this case, before I fully engage my thoughts :grrr01: .

When I was to RP this past June, I did okay with the GB2 and the small coil. I did bring the larger coil, but didn't use it and all I found was small stuff. It rained most of the weekend, and was told the ground got too wet for my Minelab to work properly :hmmmmmm: . Next time I'm out I'll try the 10" coil, then switch to the small coil and redo the ground I covered to see what difference it makes :icon_mrgreen: . Thanks for the tip as this is what this forum is for, the exchange of methods and ideas that work.

h20prospector

I always bring my 2 favorites to handle any soil conditions-GB2 with all 3 smaller coils--tesoro lobo supertraq( for trashy areas and alkali/salt) and have the smallest and eliptical coils too. Chest mount whatever you buy and have a ball, There are soooo many great units under $1,000 now it's remarkable--tons a au 2 u2 -John

h2Oprospector,

Switching coils then covering the same ground over again is a great idea.

I didn't use the smaller coil at all in RP and I probably should have given it a go just to see the difference in the two. Unlike AZ., the ground at RP is so mellow that the larger coil didn't have any trouble at all and the sensitivity was great.

Dean