Nugget Shooter Forums

Are there differnt types of quartz

What I mean by this is some 30 yrs back in a visit to the gold country on rt 49 I was told that the quartz I saw along the road in the pastures was not the type that carried gold, he called it bull quartz. It was a white quartz and there were many outcroppings in the fields as I rode with a fellow who knew the country. He never told me which was which and could have been blowing smoke for all I knew.

Is there a geological time period that certain quartz came up that either did or did not carry gold.

Just remembering back that i never thought much about it till now.

Wyndham

What I mean by this is some 30 yrs back in a visit to the gold country on rt 49 I was told that the quartz I saw along the road in the pastures was not the type that carried gold, he called it bull quartz. It was a white quartz and there were many outcroppings in the fields as I rode with a fellow who knew the country. He never told me which was which and could have been blowing smoke for all I knew.

Is there a geological time period that certain quartz came up that either did or did not carry gold.

Just remembering back that i never thought much about it till now.

Wyndham

You have asked a very good question. I hope Reno Chris can answer. Meanwhile I found it discussed at this link: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/ouachita/natural-r...als/quartz.html

under Same But Different ... Industrial Grade Quartz

You have asked a very good question. I hope Reno Chris can answer. Meanwhile I found it discussed at this link: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/ouachita/natural-r...als/quartz.html

under Same But Different ... Industrial Grade Quartz

You might want to check out this link also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz

Believe the bull was formed long before the gold bearing quartz were brought up in solution.On a quirky note sometimes gold bearing stringers are in the immediate area of the bull.Not all large white quartz is barren.Many different colors of quartz and different types,sandwich rock (layered) often carries good fines.The vein size dosen't indicate how much gold if any is present.The quartz often changes in a vein,depending on the country rock encasing it,faults,etc...Getting out in the field after reading lot's of info is very helpful.What's true in one mining district may not apply in another.Pockets don't come in three's unless that's characteristic of a particular mine or district.Read the old state reports,geo survey etc for your areas of interest...there are always exceptions to past happenings and expect the unusal,as it will happen if you prospect and sample enough.....Handbook for Prospectors by Pearl/older editions by VonBernewitz is a great primer and should be read over and over,forever and then when you see a situation it will just come to you.Any fines out of a quartz vein is a good sign and should be kept afterIf you stick with it,the yellow will arrive at some point,on some vein,usually unexpectedly........Dave

Believe the bull was formed long before the gold bearing quartz were brought up in solution.On a quirky note sometimes gold bearing stringers are in the immediate area of the bull.Not all large white quartz is barren.Many different colors of quartz and different types,sandwich rock (layered) often carries good fines.The vein size dosen't indicate how much gold if any is present.The quartz often changes in a vein,depending on the country rock encasing it,faults,etc...Getting out in the field after reading lot's of info is very helpful.What's true in one mining district may not apply in another.Pockets don't come in three's unless that's characteristic of a particular mine or district.Read the old state reports,geo survey etc for your areas of interest...there are always exceptions to past happenings and expect the unusal,as it will happen if you prospect and sample enough.....Handbook for Prospectors by Pearl/older editions by VonBernewitz is a great primer and should be read over and over,forever and then when you see a situation it will just come to you.Any fines out of a quartz vein is a good sign and should be kept afterIf you stick with it,the yellow will arrive at some point,on some vein,usually unexpectedly........Dave

Spoken like a true hard rocker :grrr01: :grrr01: :laught16: :laught16: Everyone should own the handbook for prospectors. Placer niners, MD'ers and a good hardrock prospector wouldn't be caught dead without,

OL29er :coffeetime:

Yeah the stuff(quartz) is kind of mystical,one of the most common elements and yet it carries/or is associated with one of the most valuable.Now there is very hard quartz,decomposed quartz,quartz frozen to the wall rock(a bitch),iron stained,vuggy,crystalized,glassy,rose quartz,blue-black as in the east belt of the motherlode(very beautiful w/gold),quartz w/ironstone,quartz/ocher and much more..hell Im seeing it in my sleep..and driving on the motherlode roads I wonder what's in that one,has to carry in some of these stringers..if only they'd let me dig..if.If..perhaps someday.Wish more people were into doing it on all the forums,the adventures are endless...and the payoffs,well..once in awhile are huge..just the effort to learn and sweat your butt off are a great reward unto itself.Keep sampling and you'll part that curtain to....?????.........yeah Bob,you know the routine........Dave

Yeah the stuff(quartz) is kind of mystical,one of the most common elements and yet it carries/or is associated with one of the most valuable.Now there is very hard quartz,decomposed quartz,quartz frozen to the wall rock(a bitch),iron stained,vuggy,crystalized,glassy,rose quartz,blue-black as in the east belt of the motherlode(very beautiful w/gold),quartz w/ironstone,quartz/ocher and much more..hell Im seeing it in my sleep..and driving on the motherlode roads I wonder what's in that one,has to carry in some of these stringers..if only they'd let me dig..if.If..perhaps someday.Wish more people were into doing it on all the forums,the adventures are endI the payoffs,well..once in awhile are huge..just the effort to learn and sweat your butt off are a great reward unto itself.Keep sampling and you'll part that curtain to....?????.........yeah Bob,you know the routine........Dave

Dave there is nothing sweeter than to come across a quartz vein thats visable for several hunderd feet. You will see every variety of color and combination known to man. Yet walk it 3 naybe 4 times looking for that one little difference. When you find it, you systematicly sample it from all side than you dig down as far as you can to grab some samples and wham, the quartz cracks and left there looking at little dots of yellow and a streak or 2 of gold. I have yet to see a prospector jump right and start yelling, no, first they take it in, the tears of joy follow and he looks all around just to make sure he an't dreaming. Is it worth the pain and heartarcke that comes with hard rocking? OH, HELL YES.

OL'29er :coffeetime:

Any Quartz that is Iron stained, check it out twice or three times!

There is a Old saying.

Gold Rides a Iron Horse.

This comes from Red Stained Quarts that was shot full of Wire, and spots of gold.

Green is good too!

Green is associated with copper and can carry Gold.

I was gone this weekend for a family funeral - driving to So. Calif and back. Just some comments:

1. Quartz is common stuff. Its made of Silicona and oxygen, both of which happen to be the two most common elements in the earth's crust.

2. Gold commonly forms in quartz veins, but it does not ALWAYS do so. In fact its pretty common to form outside of quartz veins.

Believe the bull was formed long before the gold bearing quartz were brought up in solution.

Great comment, totally true, but the explaination of why this is a fact is way too deep into gold geochemistry and other technical stuff.

Gold Rides a Iron Horse. This comes from Red Stained Quartz that was shot full of Wire, and spots of gold.
An old miner's truism, similar to "Iron is the mother of gold" Actually Iron is much more important to the formation of visible gold than quartz which is usually just along for the ride. Iron reacts with gold bearing solutions and the gold drops out of the solution. Most of the iron we see in quartz was once pyrite, but has oxidized from exposure to air and water and now is just rusty looking oxides.

5. Most gold districts have zillions of tons of quartz, very little of which has any significant gold, even in microscopic spec sizes. So finding a chunk of quartz is nothing to get too excited about, unless you can see gold in it. Some gold districts produce significant amounts of quartz with visible gold, but many places which have produced loads of gold produce little if anything in the way of visible gold in quartz specimens.

6. Blues and greens can indicate copper, but some green shades in rocks are associated with Iron.

7. Quartz Monzonite is a rock like granite and can have quartz veins in it, but the rock itself is not really a big gold carrier.

Chris

I was gone this weekend for a family funeral - driving to So. Calif and back. Just some comments:

1. Quartz is common stuff. Its made of Silicona and oxygen, both of which happen to be the two most common elements in the earth's crust.

2. Gold commonly forms in quartz veins, but it does not ALWAYS do so. In fact its pretty common to form outside of quartz veins.

Great comment, totally true, but the explaination of why this is a fact is way too deep into gold geochemistry and other technical stuff.

4. An old miner's truism, similar to "Iron is the mother of gold" Actually Iron is much more important to the formation of visible gold than quartz which is usually just along for the ride. Iron reacts with gold bearing solutions and the gold drops out of the solution. Most of the iron we see in quartz was once pyrite, but has oxidized from exposure to air and water and now is just rusty looking oxides.

5. Most gold districts have zillions of tons of quartz, very little of which has any significant gold, even in microscopic spec sizes. So finding a chunk of quartz is nothing to get too excited about, unless you can see gold in it. Some gold districts produce significant amounts of quartz with visible gold, but many places which have produced loads of gold produce little if anything in the way of visible gold in quartz specimens.

6. Blues and greens can indicate copper, but some green shades in rocks are associated with Iron.

7. Quartz Monzonite is a rock like granite and can have quartz veins in it, but the rock itself is not really a big gold carrier. Chris

Here in New Mexico, It carries Gold! Lots of gold.

I have a peace that is Shot full of gold.

Here in New Mexico, It carries Gold! Lots of gold. I have a peace that is Shot full of gold.

homefire:

I'll still stand by what I said before.

On the other hand, perhaps you have something exceptional. Any chance you could post a nice picture of your gold piece?

I'd be very interested in seeing it.

Chris