Nugget Shooter Forums

Marmot and Lynx and Bear, oh my.

I'm back in AZ after spending 12 weeks in CA camping, fishing and first time detecting. The fishing was nothing special except I found that my dog's underfur makes a very nice fly which the fish attacked with ferocity. Oddly the fly is all white, like no bugs I've ever seen. Fortunately the fly is all white, as I'm a senior with less than perfect eyesight, so tracking its float path is easy.

I had a great time even though CA has suffered severely under the Republicans, who took charge after I had moved to AZ. Bird sightings included osprey, peregrine falcon, nighthawk, kite, merganser, a grouse and the usual robins, jays juncos, dippers, thrushes and (at 8000 feet) sea gulls and pelicans. Also saw two adult and two juvenile turkeys strolling along a roadside one evening. Animal sightings included deer, jack and bunny rabbits, chipmunks and squirrels, a marmot, a brown bear and a lynx/bobcat. Awakened to the call of the great horned owl on a couple of occasions. Serenaded by a trio of coyotes one evening. Could have used a .45 on the mosquitoes.

I saw a lot of geology and detected deep (to 17 inches) metal. Lead (slugs), brass (casings), aluminum (can top missing the pull-tab), nails, a coat hanger and other iron trash.

Coldest summer I've had since I moved away from San Francisco.

Didn't find any buried nickels. No "trouble" with pot growers, though I (happily) met one on a claim. He was prospecting and generous.

I've progressed from green-horn to tin-horn. I still know very little, but I do know why I did not find the yellow stuff on this adventure. The gold I came home with is the gold of experience and a furthering of knowledge.

Reno Chris, regarding your article on Plumas, while there I saw a lot of what you wrote about. Among other things I got close to some quartz veins in situ which was well worth the effort for what I gained in understanding. Thanks for sharing.

It's good to be home. I can hardly wait to get out locally. I'm looking. Success is just ahead.

Cool, Brown Bears are back in California...........hope you got a picture, they are even rarer than Bigfoot!

Cool, Brown Bears are back in California...........hope you got a picture, they are even rarer than Bigfoot!

Golly, but I'm not a knowitall. It sure looked brown to me.

Now are you going to tell me that this is not a Papal Blessing?

post-22053-1253053596_thumb.jpg

post-22053-1253053676_thumb.jpg

Yup you just proved you Are not a knowitall. Google brown bear and you will learn that What you saw is a common black bear!

Hope you brought the scat back for BB to feed his son. I'm also glAd you left all the California gold for us conservative locals.

Yup you just proved you Are not a knowitall. Google brown bear and you will learn that What you saw is a common black bear!

Hope you brought the scat back for BB to feed his son. I'm also glAd you left all the California gold for us conservative locals.

Thank you for the recommendation to google brown bear. I enjoy expanding my knowledge.

I am a bit taken aback by your expression of conservative sentiment, as gold has no brain and is unable to concern itself about the political, economic or religious beliefs or choices of any prospector, beliefs and choices which have nothing to do with the work of finding gold. :innocent0009:

:laught16::laught16::laught16: