Nugget Shooter Forums

Gents,

As some of you may know, I have family in Honduras. Honduras history is filled with stories of Mayans, Spanish Conquistadors, and Pirates.

Honduras also has a lot of gold and silver still waiting to be found.

Anyway, a family friend has said that just prior to her grandmother passing, she confessed to buried treasure somewhere on their property. I don’t know to many of the details as of yet and the surviving family member was not able to obtain the exact location of the treasure.

Because they know I am a recreational prospector, they have asked for my help in locating the cache and are offering to split the finds.

I don’t have a deep seeking treasure hunter’s detector. I am thinking of purchasing something like the “gold spear” The ground is fairly soft and moist in Honduras. I don’t have a lot of money to spend. Anyone have any ideas of tools to use to find something like this or have any tips at all on looking for something buried long ago?

Gents,

As some of you may know, I have family in Honduras. Honduras history is filled with stories of Mayans, Spanish Conquistadors, and Pirates.

Honduras also has a lot of gold and silver still waiting to be found.

Anyway, a family friend has said that just prior to her grandmother passing, she confessed to buried treasure somewhere on their property. I don’t know to many of the details as of yet and the surviving family member was not able to obtain the exact location of the treasure.

Because they know I am a recreational prospector, they have asked for my help in locating the cache and are offering to split the finds.

I don’t have a deep seeking treasure hunter’s detector. I am thinking of purchasing something like the “gold spear” The ground is fairly soft and moist in Honduras. I don’t have a lot of money to spend. Anyone have any ideas of tools to use to find something like this or have any tips at all on looking for something buried long ago?

What is the nature of the Goodies?

What is the nature of the Goodies?

I am not sure. I assume some type of coinage left over from some past corrupt government overthrow.

You would probably need a deep seeking metal detector like this. Gold Spear would be worthless as far as I'm concerned. No doubt whatever was buried - is sinking beyond the range of normal detectors.... (if there's anything at all)

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/lorenz/lorenz.htm

Steve

Steve those are very expensive. I will talk to the family and see how much money they are willing to spend.

If there is any real amount of treasure buried, secreted somewhere, I would think that any SD, GP, or GPX

or for that matter, a Whites goldmaster with a bigger searchcoil might be able to detect what may be hidden there.

In the right hands, and experienced ears, the vlf's can reach down a ways, depending on the target size, mineralization, moisture, yatta yatta...Look at John B's stuff he found with a whites...

~LARGO~

Old salt i had a great grand father who was down there and married the presidents daughter.I have extensive maps of old diggings and his claims .He was up in the Us tring to get backing monies and died of malaria before the hole thing took hold,There were lot,s of slave diggings and lot,s of stashes down there i hope you can put it together and it is not just folklore E mail me and i will tell you the old spanish depth of there stashes.

Not to mention, they sure do make some fine cigars in that country......

Steve those are very expensive. I will talk to the family and see how much money they are willing to spend.

A lot is going to depend on the weight ,the soil type and how long ago it was buried . We all know how coins sink over time. Something that heavy would probably sink faster given the soil conditions you described. You could try the VLF's with a large coil but I really doubt that will work. If a Lorenz type detector of out of your price range- the next best thing might be to contact a treasure hunter who already lives in Honduras. Given the history of that country- I'd like to think someone already has the proper equipment.

Just be very careful if you go that route......

Steve

Whites 2 box treasure master?? or fisher gemini 2 boxer series will go very deep and find a single dollar sized object waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy deep too. The whites unit also had the righteous VOID mode to find chests/cavities/caves too. Out at Pattons camp we dug over 18' for a old spoked wheel--they don't discriminate --John

Great info guys. Yea, I don't want to spend too much when there is the possibility it is just a tale. However, it does seem to be a credible story. I also do not want to take expensive gear to Honduras due to corruption at customs and all the other dangerous issues down there.

Last time I went I took a cheap radio shack detector and some very basic equipment and left it there for my future return.

I'm thinking along the lines of something like the "Fisher Gemini III" if you guys think the goldspear is a bad idea. I can't even find the goldspear for sale anywhere anyway.

Whites 2 box treasure master?? or fisher gemini 2 boxer series will go very deep and find a single dollar sized object waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy deep too. The whites unit also had the righteous VOID mode to find chests/cavities/caves too. Out at Pattons camp we dug over 18' for a old spoked wheel--they don't discriminate --John

I had a two box made by Garrett a long time ago and they did go deep but if you're looking for a specific item in a field, the width of detection is only 18" to 20" wide. Which means a lot of very careful overlapping and gridding. These Lorenz type detectors come with coils in sizes anywhere from 32" up to 60" wide which means better and more coverage as well as the ability to go deeper.

The only advantage the two boxes have over the Lorenz type detectors is the price. In this particular case- not even knowing if the treasure exists- the two box is probably going to be your best bet.

The Goldspear IS a bad idea.

Steve

Gold spear a waste a your hard earned cash-they even find the gold in sea water and MUST TOUCH THE GOLD TOO. 2 box rock, used to be pretty cheap and tough as nails too.I keep reading in traveler/national geo how dangerous Honduras is and when in Costa Rica EVERYONE said to stay the LL outta there?? tons a au 2 u 2-John

Old Salt

My main focus is Thunting. Trust me I've seen and or used about every piece of equipment out there. I know of some 10" ft holes that were dug by folks using that expensive piece of equipment on Kelly site. Empty holes that is. Don't even think about the gold spear. A small rock will stop it. A 2 box, been there. Between the 2 box's is the detector and YOU. Walk with it and you will hear, SQUAK SQUAK YAK SQUAK EICK YAC. Now if someone had some gold stuck up their ass it would be good.

This is what works for me. For deep stuff a Minelab 2000 with mods by Ismael Jones and a large coil. In the areas I'm now searching I use a 25" NF coil. Need a larger coil they are out there. Not so deep stuff a Troy Shadow X5. Most times I'll start with the Troy attempting to locate some bread crumbs then I bring in the large unit.

Salt, the problem is you are asking question #3. The first thing I would do is some research to find out what I'm looking for. Is there any evidence that there is a lost treasure. What is it, who lost it, were there past attempts at recovery, who looked and where, anything found. If no one searched, WHY. After you locate a site you look at the ground conditions. Lot of rock they did not dig deep. Loose soil and the treasure could be deep enough that no detector would find it. A detector is a tool like a shovel or pick. There is a time and use for each tool. I had to search under some deep ledges. A lot of deep ledges! I used a GMT with a small coil that had a long wire and added more extensions to the rod. I now had a 10" long unit that could reach in and under all those ledges. Where you going to buy a 10" long detector with a little coil?

So you get the idea. There is no one answer. You need to do your home work. Do some research, visit the site, see what type equipment is needed. Ask yourself how would you hide it and find it again. Find out how they were hidden during that time period.

Best wishes and remember, "the best detector out there is your brain".

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I just saw one of those 2 box deep seeking detectors at my friends pawn shop this

past week.

It looks brand new, and I think the shop owner wanted about 300 bucks for it.

I know they sell for a whole lot more, however.

~LARGO~