Nugget Shooter Forums

Ant Man On The Block

Ant Man

Hello all! I am recently retired from the Navy after 25 years of service hither and yonder and have been wanting to get active in this hobby for quite some time. I returned this week from my first nugget shooting exploration of the hills near Randsburg, Ca. and came away with a few nuggets for my efforts, and am totally hooked! This forum comes highly recommended to me and I'm having a great time reading up and learning new things from you.

I have a defense contracting job now, but my schedule is very flexible and my goal is to make at least two prospecting trips each month. Although I just got back from my last trip yesterday I can feel the itch to get out there again, maybe next week.

By the way, I chose the name Ant Man for my handle because the nasty biting kind seem to be attracted to me, and I got a large number of bites at the claim. My partners were a bit surprized to see me hopping around slapping my legs with my pants down below my knees the first couple times, but by the afternoon they just accepted it. I'm taking lots of bug spray and rubber bands to tie off my pant legs next time!

Anyway, greetings to all!

Paul

Hi Paul

Herb here, from near SD (Pine Valley). Welcome to the forum. This is one of the best forums

around. The people here are always willing to share information and experiences. In the past

months I've picked up a wealth knowledge.

Regards and Welcome

Herb

:sign: aboard Paul :whoopie:

Thanks for your service , you have me beat by one year.

Sounds like you are doing OK already for a :newb: .

You will find lots of :1264: and a few old grumps on here but they all know a lot :luck: .

Max

Welcome Ant Man--Well sounds like you've had just one of millions of lessons.Put damp salt on them bites and the hurt goes away. Actually thats just one of the great things about mining--I learn new things everyday mining. After 50+ years it still amazes me the stuff I pick up on in this mining life-John

Herb,

Thanks for the greeting! Do you get down to the desert much? I know there must be some good places to prospect out your way but the times I've looked around have come up empty. If you ever need someone to keep you company on a trip, give me a holler or email. I'm especially good at carrying equipment!

Paul

Thanks all for the greetings! Looking forward to learning all I can, and hopefully meeting you in the field some day!

Ant Man:

You sure did the quick step version of the antsy shuffle when those big bullheaded black guys chomped down on your legs! But, hey, that's the price sometimes for loosing your cherry. Congratulations on the nuggets -- only a few newbees actually find any their first time out! An aside to those following this thread: Paul came up with a decent defensive remedy -- on the second day he pulled his Levis down over his first pair of thick socks, then pulled a second pair over the first pair and up over the ends of the trouser legs and tied it off tight. The ants were big, but not big enough to bite all the way through that thick of a fabric shield. On the down side, it hit about 100 degrees at mid-day. Paul, I enjoyed taking you out to find some gold. Next time we'll take a drywasher with to clean up all those crumbs we must have left behind. And, oh yeah, THANKS FOR STANDING UP AND DEFENDING THIS COUNTRY FOR THE LAST 25 YEARS!!!

Hey Paul

Sorry for the late reply. Took a motor cycle ride with some friends this morning, Julian and around.

Anyhow, sounds like a plan as soon as the weather cools of a little, S.P.M.A. has some good claims

near Yuma, and several around here, and many others that have good potential. Lost Valley claims are good for DW. There is also open areas in Chariot and Rodriguez canyons east of Julian.

So many places so little time!

Best Regards

Herb

Hello Ant Man,

I'm here in SD as well, and retired USN also. I've been down range the last 5 yrs contracting, and I'm at the tail end of my extended summer break. Ive got a few more vacation months left and have been hitting the desert a bit. I'm up for an over-nighter to the AZ/CA desert at the drop of a hat. I'm looking to scout new ground. I like to travel light, freeze at night, and cover a lot of country while I learn the areas.

Drop me a line,

A/F