Nugget Shooter Forums

Im just curious of how to determine if an area is claimed. If I am out hiking and see a spot of heavy mineralization and i feel is worth prospecting am i allowed to do so if there are no claim markers? I called the BLM and they said if there are no markers you are good to go for prospecting.

Im just curious of how to determine if an area is claimed. If I am out hiking and see a spot of heavy mineralization and i feel is worth prospecting am i allowed to do so if there are no claim markers? I called the BLM and they said if there are no markers you are good to go for prospecting.

GeoCommunicator is a start.

Don't think it as Gospel. They enter wrong crap all the time.

They may even show paper claims that are not Valid.

You need to Determine if the area has other issues.

It could be a protected area, Withdrawn Area, Have issues with Water Preservation and the story goes on.

Bottom line would be to go to the County Recorders office Map marked out in hand and ask.

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=MC

http://www.blm.gov/lr2000/

The system above is the best bet for determining where existing mining claims are situated.

But, it takes climbing a steep learning curve to be able to use it.

You have to understand aliquot part legal description, section, township, range & meridian.

You also have to be able to find & read a BLM Master Title Plat (MTP) of the Township & sections involved.

Most western state offices of the BLM have MTP’s on line.

With the LR2000 system (GEO INDEX) you can determine what mining claims are in each section of a Township, down to the ¼ of a Section (NW/NE/SE/SW).

PRINT OUT A PDF FILE OF THE GEO-INDEX

MTP will tell you LAND STATUS.

If no claim shows on the LR2000 & MTP land status shows open to mineral entry.

Next check the last 90 days of mining claim filings in the county recorders office to determine if any exist there that are not yet BLM filed.

SADLY, on-site inspection often shows not 1 sign, monument, or anything to demonstrate a mining claim is there. But, the records will show several, pan caked piled, one on top the other. Since not one claimant ever checked the records, before filing. Which creates a pig pile, all with a clouded title. :angry-smiley-010:

Sometimes, even when you find signs on site, the records will show no claim exists there.

That happens often, as novices sometimes confuse sections, townships & ranges on location notices.

Meaning, posts show its here & documents show its miles away. :Huh_anim]:

Often, novices without survey experience, or a GPS get a bit confused where they are.

So, signs (if any) show 1 thing, location notices show another. :Huh_anim]:

Other times, because BLM does not do effective adjudication, of mailed in filings.

You will find claims 5 miles long, that exist, but will be declared void when, or if the BLM properly adjudicates the file. Which, sometimes is not done for years.

It’s like trying to unravel a complex puzzle, let me tell you.

Retired mining engineer here, with 35 years experience sorting out those puzzles.

Couple helpful links below:

(Oregon, but most states are the same)

http://www.blm.gov/or/pubroom/files/ORWA-B...NING-PACKET.pdf

http://www.blm.gov/or/pubroom/files/land-descript-diag.pdf

http://www.blm.gov/or/pubroom/files/abbreviations.pdf

http://www.blm.gov/or/pubroom/files/MTP_Help.pdf

Go to the local tax asessor/recorders office and they have EVERY filing info ever made. Some on microfische(takes a bit a learning) or computerized-the best usually,as with all computer generated info though-garbage in garbage out. BLM info is notoriously unreliable in every state. John

Homefire is right about taking Geocommunicator with a grain of salt.

From the LR2000 site get and read "How_Mining_Claims_are_Mapped_in_LR2000_GeoComm.pdf".

I have seen a claim marked in Geocommunicator in one section at 160 acres. A stop at the state BLM office and their plat showed that the claim was in an entirely different section of the township and was only 40 acres.

Be safe.

Very helpful information Thanks guys. What a great hobby cant wait to get into a real gold bearing area. Right now im in the Apache junction area . Gotten a few grams dry washing but no nuggets with the gmt yet. It looks like my job may be going away soon so i will be in the real gold fields soon. I hope to see you guys in the field some time.

• 3 weeks later...

goldnewbie

Old Gold Miner gave you some of the best and accurate information

you could get. John Hoser Oates was spot on too.

You may want to give the BLM person that gave you the the no claim

marker advice a swift kick. There is no Federal law that says markers

have to be maintained to keep a claim valid. Vandals remove markers

all the time.

Never trust advice from government office flunkies unless they can

show it in writing.

LOL, I have been on lots of ground, where you find claim markers scattered all over.

Some dating back to the depression era, WW2, mid 1950's, 1960's. 1970's, etc & some only a few years old.

Pic below is of an 1882 momument of a placer claim.

It was surveyed for patent, but never was.

Feild notes of that survey, led me right to it.

305634336_o.jpg

The long & short of it is, if nothing is current at the BLM.

Any claim not filed with BLM is void, 90 days after the location date.

Or, void 12:01PM Sept 1 that year, if they fail to file annual labor or pay the BLM fee.

So, you can find 150 monuments on site, but..........NO VALID CLAIM EXISTS THERE.........

Yeah, that Geocommunicator is just for getting an idea. I know several legitimate claims that don't show up on it, even when searching for the serial number.

It's too bad there ain't more information available on the web for searching such things. Finding where the claims are filed, and obtaining the info you need is a pain in the backside sometimes.

Rick.

Sawmill and the others are so right! If you had to keep claim markers current no one could afford a claim! especialy the biggies like Newmount and others in Nevada, imagine replacing 20,000 claim markers!!

I have had people tear them down on one end as I was putting them up on the other!

Put them up and take pictures, then file charges!

Pics: US claim marker, mexican claim markers 4x4 concrete and must be maintained yearly.

post-7251-1253880833_thumb.jpg

post-7251-1253880853_thumb.jpg

post-7251-1253880871_thumb.jpg

In area's where there are trees, besides a post.

I use an extension ladder & put a sign about 16 ft high in a tree.

They may get the post, but few ever reach the sign.

In arid area's, I carry a sack of mortor mix along, as well as steel fence posts & a driver.

Pound in a metal fence post, then build a mound of cobbles & dry mortor around it, then wet it all down, to set up.

Not many can wreck or drag that away.

I also take a good set of pictures of every sign & post I ever put in.

300898010_o.jpg

300897952_o.jpg

Now wouldnt it be nice if the BLM kept their records up to date with gps co-ordinances that you could download to your gps, then while out in the field, you could tell if your on a claim or not, hmmmmm maybe Im on to something.... :confused0013:

Don't worry about it to much. Just get your business done and move on. Chances are if it was worth a crap you would have be run off already or heard a shot fired. Just do your business and go.

V

lol, VinMan .. after reading all these replies it does seem like getting shot at is the easiest way to find out.

good luck out there, diggitdawg.

Not familiar with that area.

But, this I know, very few make individuals make a decent living from full time small scale mining.

The exception being those who are very experianced, own really good mining claims & made the investment in large enough eqt, or a suction dredge to to move enough volume of material, to make it pay.

Quitting a well paying day job, to go mining, is often a fools folly.

It's out there, but it isn't easy & not often quick.

Now wouldnt it be nice if the BLM kept their records up to date with gps co-ordinances that you could download to your gps, then while out in the field, you could tell if your on a claim or not, hmmmmm maybe Im on to something.... :confused0013:

Dream on Dave !! You better stay out of Vegas, your having funny thoughts!

Got a couple at you know where. See ya in OCT.