Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Mine Near My Town

Hi everyone,

I got some information about an old gold mine in Utah that is near the town I live in from a 92 year old old-timer that I know. He told me where an old gold mine shaft was on a ridge that some Mexicans used to work in the 1930's. He told me exactly where it is on top of a pretty high ridge. There is also a newer gold mine behind this ridge that is not in operation now, but was worked with more modern mining equipment, so there is gold in the area. Also, my Dad told me a story about a guy he knew who worked at a gravel crushing plant near this particular ridge. one day he saw the sun glint off of something shiny, and when he picked it up it was a gold nugget. I am extremely inexperienced at gold prospecting or gold detecting, but I want to try and find some nuggets in this area. Any advice from some of you more experienced prospectors would really help me. Where on the ridge in relation to the mine shaft would be a good place to start detecting? I don't currently have a gold detector, but do any of you have any suggestions on a good VLF gold detector? I know the minelab PI machines are the best, but I can't afford one right now. I guess I am seeking any advice on how to proceed or what you would do if it were you.

Thanks

#1-LAND STATUS- You absolutely must go to county and find out the land status/ownership/mineral rights first!

Then get a great used/but not abused vlf unit and go from there. Start from point of origin and mark out a quad using poker chips to detect the area correctly to plot out any patterns on the ground. I use red for the grid and blue for the gold hits and within a day your on your way.

Also the tunnel/hole question-is it smooth sided electric/pneumatic or extremely rough(hand steel)-reason being if worked by hand the boyz in dayz of old HAD TO HIT A OZ/TON to feed themselves and all else was usually discarded. TONS A AU 2 U 2-John

#1-LAND STATUS- You absolutely must go to county and find out the land status/ownership/mineral rights first!

Then get a great used/but not abused vlf unit and go from there. Start from point of origin and mark out a quad using poker chips to detect the area correctly to plot out any patterns on the ground. I use red for the grid and blue for the gold hits and within a day your on your way.

Also the tunnel/hole question-is it smooth sided electric/pneumatic or extremely rough(hand steel)-reason being if worked by hand the boyz in dayz of old HAD TO HIT A OZ/TON to feed themselves and all else was usually discarded. TONS A AU 2 U 2-John

Yep! You have to be sure the land is clear to hunt.

If it is, I would hit the tailing's with a detector.

They may have left some that was not visible.

:coffeetime:

You asked about VLF detector. This is somewhat of a loaded question simply because everyone has their favorite. I'll list mine in order as I would use.

1. Gold Bug 2 with all 3 coils

2. GMT with both coils

3. Minelab Ureaka

4 Toroso Super Lobo

These are strictly for hunting gold.

PI units

1. GPX 4500

2. GPX4000

3. GP 3500

4. GP3000

5 GP Extreme

6. GP2200v2

7. Whites TDI

All of the above I have used and my personal machines are the Minelab GP Extreme and the Gold Bug 2. On the VLF side the Gold Bug and the GMT are in book the tops.

As for PI's, their all good, it depends on your budget. A good Extreme with extra coils could be had for $1500 or less or more Used

Gold Bug 2 and GMT for $400-700 used depending on the extras.

Hope this helps

OL29er :coffeetime:

Thanks everyone for the great info. The old shaft at the top of the ridge is a hand dug tunnel. The other mine was worked with modern techniques, but because I know absolutely nothing about gold mining I don't know what methods were used. It does have an open pit and terraces kind of like the Kennecott copper mine here in Utah, only it is smaller.

Thanks again.

That would be quite a find in UT, historically nuggets of any size are rare outside of some areas that once existed before the Kennecott Mine was in operation (1/4 ouncers were common in some places long since bull dozed over). Good luck, I'm in UT, and would probably suggest a vlf for the smaller nuggets, unless you're dealing with a GPX 4500 or maybe a GP 4000. The hot rocks in UT exist, but compared to some states, there is generally not a lot of mineralization. You will find the black sand pockets in some placers though.