Nugget Shooter Forums

Barron's Cabin

Lone Lobo

For years I have looked at at a landmark on my USGS Topo's labeled "Barron's Cabin" ( N 33* 42' 34" X W 113* 12" 49" ) and wondered what was there. Last winter I finally decided to check it out. I unloaded my quad at Little Horn Peak and rode south to the cord's. This is an interesting area for a prospector but little, if anything, remains of a cabin. Who was the Barron? Was there ever a cabin? Does anyone know the history of this landmark? Thank you. Lobo

• 3 months later...

Soon I will be leaving Ohio for a three months stay in Arizona once again. I hope to talk to College History Professors,

town and museum historians in Maricopa County. The history of the "Barron's Cabin" remains mostly a mystery. The

only info the USGS has given me is "This feature has ceased to exist". I already knew that! For the USGS to label it a

Historial Landmark on Topo maps it had to of had some significance at one time. When an updated Topo comes out, the "Barron's

Cabin" will not be on it and lost forever. When in the area I hope to explore this area further and learn more of its history.

Lone Lobo

I already know the coordinances as stated in my first post. I have stood on the very spot. It's the history that I want to learn. Who was the Barron? Was Barron a first or last name? Perhaps he was associated with some of the named mines in this area? I thought, perhaps, some of the old time prospecters from the Wickenburg area might remember a cabin from day gone by. History intrigues me. I hate to see it lost. Lobo

I always thought that the cabin had belonged to James Addison Reavis, "The Baron of Arizona." - Terry

I already know the coordinances as stated in my first post. I have stood on the very spot. It's the history that I want to learn. Who was the Barron? Was Barron a first or last name? Perhaps he was associated with some of the named mines in this area? I thought, perhaps, some of the old time prospecters from the Wickenburg area might remember a cabin from day gone by. History intrigues me. I hate to see it lost. Lobo

Believe it was just one of many mines out there in the Big Horn Mountains south of Aguila. I found this on Rod's site, Barrons Cabin and it indicates it was a underground mine. I don't think it had anything to do with the Baron of Arizona, he was just a scam artist that had nothing to do with mining. I have an email out to a historical group that might know more.

When the townships & ranges were first surveyed, mid to late 1800's.

Those surveyors always noted the position of cabins in the township (36 square miles).

If the "Jones" lived there then, it was named "Jones" cabin.

USGS topo maps were first made using those old cadastral surveys.

So many topo's today show cabin sites, that nothing much is left of now.

Except maybe a rock fireplace hearth, or foundation stones.

I have found many many cabin sites, in mining districts all over Alaska, Oregon, California & Nevada.

The reason I took the time to find them off old cadastral surveys was, they were in mining districts.

Most old timers did not build cabins, unless they were onto something pretty good.

Many are buried nearby.

302169021_o.jpg

302362019_o.jpg

302414410_o.jpg

Guest goldstudmuffin

Hello Lobo,

There are old cabin sites all over the U.S. why do you have so much interested in this one? Is there a lost treasure story about the Barron's cabin or are you just interested in the history? Why this cabin? As AZ4AU mentioned, the area is under claim.

Old Gold Miner: Beautiful photo and informative read. If only that cabin could talk.....the stories it could tell.

Goldstudmuffin: Yes there are cabin sites all over AZ and I have seen alot ot them. However, few of them were

labeled "Historical Landmark" by the USGS. Most "Labeled" sites the information and history is readily available

and easy to find. Perhaps the lack of information on the Barron's Cabin has increased my interest to find it.

There is no lost mine or lost treasure story that I know of. Yes, I know the area is under claim. I always have

and always will respect the rights of claimed land.

Thank you to all for your replies.

See Ya out there soon.

Lobo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys-

There's a movie on this afternoon called "The Baron of Arizona" that's going to air at 12:30pm CT today on TCM. Don't know if this has any relation to Barrons Cabin. The movie is based on a true story about a man who tried to claim all of Arizona. Should be interesting.

Steve