Nugget Shooter Forums

Right now, as I post this, the flames are creeping and crackling inexorably closer to our home. No one can say for sure when this is going to be over and I can't see more than a block or so away. The flames are maybe a half mile away. But the wind has died and I expect containment at the southern edge [where we live] today or tomorrow. The big point, of course, is that it has been between 40 and 60 years since the last fires denuded the San Gabriel mountains -- long before effective metal detectors came into common use. The brush in those hills has been so thick and dense it would have been nearly impossible to have beeped the area in the recent past. But for a while the landscape will be comparable to the black lava fields of Hawaii until the brush grows back. There are many areas in the burn zone that previously produced nuggets. Just a heads up to those who may not have been aware of this "golden lining".

There was a 400 acre fire here near Forest Hill while I was down in Brazil. I think some areas here may have opened up too. Will be exploring very soon!

Martin,

I pray that you and yours are safe and continue to be safe from the fire dangers in your area.

Just living with the fear every year has got to create a super sized ulcer. Hope all is well, my friend...........

Jim

Martin I pray that you and your family are doing well.

On the burn thing, the roots of the burnt bushes will produce a false signal for years to come. We had this problem with a fire out at Rye Patch some years back.

Chris

Martin,

Watching it on TV, it looks bad, don,t take any chances, hope you and yours are safe, everyone is praying for all the people in the fires path.

I lost all in a house fire once and have never recovered fully.

Max

Thanks all you guys for the prayers and well wishes. It appears that the southern edge of the fire finally has been slowed to the point where a lot of my neighbors are being permitted to return to their homes. We were just outside of the mandatory evacuation zone, although I had no intention of leaving. I had my buckets and hoses deployed on my flat roof and was determined to do battle if it came. It helps to have solid steel reinforced concrete sheer walls 8 inches thick, so the roof and the windows were the major vulnerable points. Slabs of sheet rock laid against the windows deflects a lot of heat.

After the East Fork San Gabriel River fire around 5 or 6 years ago a lot of surface was exposed. The charcoaled stumps and roots do indeed produce a signal. But it is a signal that rapidly weakens as you raise the search coil away.

Martin... Glad that is looking better your way. We are experencing what could be another

bad year of wildfires throughout our local southern California areas...

Hay Martin if you need to bug out give me a call and Joe and I will bring up our trucks to help haul your stuff.

Yes Martin, I'll be available too.

I will send you my phone # in a PM.

And, you guys are so right, those newly burnt areas are tough detecting especially in the

areas where there were lots of plants-now-burnt-branches, stumps etc. They really produce

a lot of false signals...is it something to do with the amount of carbon? Just wondering.

Flak

:angry-smiley-010: My Cuz Jack lost his house in Sunland yesterday-3 bikes-2 boats-and critters too. Went to work all was ok-came home to a pile a crap as the wind changed-20+ years and it's ALL gone-BE CAREFUL OUT THERE--John

Hi all ,I was on the Auburn fire with my water truck, it was a sad sight to watch people walk out of the area with only things that they could carry. I was there for 2 days filling fire engines and protecting some homes. My heart goes out to them.

DARIN WAGNER eye4gold

Hi Guys-

On a lighter note.... Any of you guys in California have a sudden urge for Ding-Dongs, Cheese Puffs and wearing tie dyed tee shirts? No doubt there's plenty of THC in the air from all the marijuana that burned up in those fires... :laught16: :laught16: :laught16:

Steve

A curious twist has arisen. It appears that close to a dozen fire fighters were sickened by fumes initially thought to have come from a secret meth lab. Now it turns out the fumes were cyanide. I wonder if the cyanide was in the vicinity of an old mill site. The press is vague on just where this incident occurred. Anyone have further info/insight?

Why is it that the authorities of the US Government charged with the control of our public lands can not keep dangerous criminals from growing and manufacturing dangerous drugs on the lands under their control? They seem to have the ability to micro-manage the use of those same lands by comparatively speaking law abiding citizens, on a daily basis. What's the score? Who, or what is the game plan with respect to our fearless leaders?

Don't look at the working level to place blame. Total responsibility is with the supervision and management of the various departments involved. It's just like the Nazi's during WWII! No one is to blame, just following orders?

It's no wounder that on the big wildfires, firefighters come down ill with strange symptoms. What I'd like to know is how many of these firefighters get hassled over their job incurred illnesses and jurisdictions they are from.

Dean

:angry-smiley-010: We've already had the biggest fire in kalif history and many hundreds more. AND now we are entering the worst of the fire season?? Holy crappola whatz next--or dare I not ask.? John

And, you guys are so right, those newly burnt areas are tough detecting especially in the

areas where there were lots of plants-now-burnt-branches, stumps etc. They really produce

a lot of false signals...is it something to do with the amount of carbon? Just wondering.

Flak

We've been having an interesting discussion over at the TDI forum on this very topic. Take a look if interested.

http://tdi.invisionplus.net/?mforum=tdi&showtopic=433

Gets a little testy at times but all in all some good info, I thought.

Wyndham

Here is some interesting reading. Start with Reg's first post last paragragh.

Charcoal

Rich