Nugget Shooter Forums

Pocket Mining Potentual in Nevada's East Humboldt

For those of you who nugget shoot around the greater area between Winnemucca

and Lovelock, Tom Bohmker, author of "The Elusive 'Pocker Gold' of Southwestern

Oregon" is a small mining consultant and has written an extensive amount of

information on this broad area over a period dating back as early as 1955.

The article gives an overview of the geology, history, pocket mining potentual,

current mining activities, prospecting advice, map notes, and access. There is also

photo of Chris Ralph, ICMJ associate editor, detecting in the Rye Patch area.

Thanks Jim!

I am headed that way and will pick up a copy. I never miss your posts, we met years ago at Last Chance Gulch near Randsburg, I was with charlie Salwaser, I,m sure you don't remember and my CRS keeps me guessing but it was in the '80s.

I am stopping for a few days at Mountain City Resevoir near Gold Creek in Nevada, I don't know much about it but it should be cool up in that country and it has a good history, I just have to find a local claim owner.

And of course I have all your books!

Max

Several years ago, a fellow was beeping somewhere around lake Lahontan and found a nice nugget in a compacted volcanic ash layer. I don't know if this is something useful in this pocket nugget discussion, just thought it was interesting.

If any one knows about the geology of this , please jump in.

Wyndham

Wyndham,

I heard something about that story but don't remember the details, Goldfinger maybe?

Do you lnow anything about "Gold Creek" out of Mountain City, NV?

Going to spend a few days there looking around.

Max

Max, it was one of those one time post that blipped up once and hat was it but it made me wonder about that area and what might be locked in the volcanic ash. Maybe Reno Chris knows something more about the area. Nevada nugget shooters board might have more info in the archives or someone there might know about the area. Wyndham

There is also photo of Chris Ralph, ICMJ associate editor, detecting in the Rye Patch area.

Jim - actually that was a photo taken by me, not of me. You really cant see who it is, but my recollection is that its Bill Southern, owner of this forum.

a fellow was beeping somewhere around lake Lahontan and found a nice nugget in a compacted volcanic ash layer

Who knows, real volcanic ash is not favorable for nugget shooting generally. I am skeptical of a lot of tales, maybe it was volcanic ash, but maybe it was mis-identified. Without more info, its just hard to say.

Chris

Who knows, real volcanic ash is not favorable for nugget shooting generally. I am skeptical of a lot of tales, maybe it was volcanic ash, but maybe it was mis-identified. Without more info, its just hard to say.

Chris

Hey Chris, I didn't realize that Lake Lahontan went up to the Rye Patch area til I saw that aerial showing the ancient lake shore lines.

I looked for the post in all the archives on different boards but no luck. It seemed that it was this fellows first trip over from the North West to visit family and he was in a wash with a new ML 3500-maybe and got a signal from a very hard packed layer in a gully going down to the lake. Now it might have been a calachie(sp) layer or other material as well. Just thought it might ring a bell about some different ground around the lake.

I know over at Silver Peak there is a white volcanic ash deposit at the dry lake bed that we used to drill wells down to to get a lithium chloride solution when i worked for Foote Mineral years ago.

Later Wyndham

I didn't realize that Lake Lahontan went up to the Rye Patch area til I saw that aerial showing the ancient lake shore lines.

I thought about that as a potential point of confusion when I was writing my other post. Ancient lake Lahontan did indeed cover a very large part of the state. But there also is a smaller existing lake east of Carson City that is now known as lake Lahontan - its used as water storage for the farmers at Fallon. I didnt mention it but I was wondering if we were talking about ancient lake lahonton that spread all over or the modern one that is much smaller.

Chris

I think he's talking about a different nugget Flak. The one of mine your referring to was found in the Santa Rosa's N of Winnamucca.

A note about the East range The roads on the flats can be precarious in wet weather. Have a winch, anchor (no trees ) and a high lift jack handy. There is no

or limited cell phone coverage.

nvchris

I found a 6 grammer in caliche (I think I called it tufa, but I now think it may be an old hot springs deposit) in a gully which cut the highest beach bench of ancient Lake Lahontan, on Memorial day of '06. I posted pics and the story on one of the AZ forums, but I can't rember which one, and searches have failed to turn up the posting.