Nugget Shooter Forums

Nuggett

Gilaoro

I don't normally post pictures of gold, mainly because you guys find so much!

But I am making an exception in this case, although I did not find it my self I was directly responsible for

its location.

Joe Downs, the newest WSPA member came up to Idaho to visit and meet me at my summer project and I took him on a tour of the miles of bucket dredge tailings and although he is new to nugget shooting and the GPX-4500, his tougue was hanging out at the sight! I told him I would introduce him to the owner of about 17 miles of them and get him permission to detect on the patented claims. Well in about two hours of digging trash he came up with this unique specimen, its .785 OZ of gold and rusty quartz.

( I hope the pic comes out, my internet connection is eratic & its hard to post pics).

He is back at it this AM before it gets too hot on those rock piles. On thursday I have got him skeduled for a 10 yard run on a big hibanker at another friends mine who is working gultches that the old timers missed or passed up to avoid lossing the water in the creek.

You can use your own hibanker and buy a yard at a time and he has a settleing pond so thers no problem with discharge of red clay water, a yard typicaly produces from 1/4 PW to 1 PW, some more some less, I have seen 5 yard runs produce a OZ.

Most hibankers as used by the average prospector can not run a true yard in a days time although the back hoe brings it to you at the waters edge, 10 yard runs are dumped in to an old gravel truck bed 5 yards at a time and you wash it down through a big long sluice as you remove big rocks, I seriously doubt that two old fat guys can run 5 yards with out running a night shift, we'll see and I will post pics if I can.

Excuse the poor pic if it even posts!

Max

post-7251-1251296750_thumb.jpg

The pic came out great Max and what a great nugget. I wish I was up there with you in the Idaho mtns. It sounds great.

:innocent0009: That was a great find!! I'm new to the site and to nugget shooting, I used to pan and crevice with my dad years ago. and am looking to get back to the hunt I live in Wittmann az do you know of an area a newbie could try , to learn in , I don't know this part of the counrty, and need a little guidence from a pro. thanks for your time Joe

I don't normally post pictures of gold, mainly because you guys find so much!

But I am making an exception in this case, although I did not find it my self I was directly responsible for

its location.

Joe Downs, the newest WSPA member came up to Idaho to visit and meet me at my summer project and I took him on a tour of the miles of bucket dredge tailings and although he is new to nugget shooting and the GPX-4500, his tougue was hanging out at the sight! I told him I would introduce him to the owner of about 17 miles of them and get him permission to detect on the patented claims. Well in about two hours of digging trash he came up with this unique specimen, its .785 OZ of gold and rusty quartz.

( I hope the pic comes out, my internet connection is eratic & its hard to post pics).

He is back at it this AM before it gets too hot on those rock piles. On thursday I have got him skeduled for a 10 yard run on a big hibanker at another friends mine who is working gultches that the old timers missed or passed up to avoid lossing the water in the creek.

You can use your own hibanker and buy a yard at a time and he has a settleing pond so thers no problem with discharge of red clay water, a yard typicaly produces from 1/4 PW to 1 PW, some more some less, I have seen 5 yard runs produce a OZ.

Most hibankers as used by the average prospector can not run a true yard in a days time although the back hoe brings it to you at the waters edge, 10 yard runs are dumped in to an old gravel truck bed 5 yards at a time and you wash it down through a big long sluice as you remove big rocks, I seriously doubt that two old fat guys can run 5 yards with out running a night shift, we'll see and I will post pics if I can.

Excuse the poor pic if it even posts!

Max

Thanks Guys!

We did our 10 yards run in 7 hours, 5 yards were big rocks which you have to pitch out with a special narrow tined fork, Joe had to do most of the pitching! The 10 yards and the sluice including pump, water, material delivery and rock removal with the back hoe cost $250.

The claim owner said we had a very hot run and estimated that the clean up would be well over an OZ, there was gold everywhere but its very fine, no "pickers" as we are used to in the desert drywashing, this stuff is all fine and assays at 85%, a good investment but hard work, me I like pickers and clunkers, fines I can always get!

It comes from draws and gultches that caught the gold when the Mts rose up under them, I have saw them as high as 7000 feet up here and from 2 foot wide and deep to 100x100, there are a few that the old timers and chinese missed but all the ground is claims or patented so you have to find someone that will let you on or go to a commerical operation like the one we did.

Packing up now to leave to go to Ryepatch via Mountain City, NV and Gold Creek and maybe some others up where its cool before the outing.

Max

Steve,

No more nuggies! The people are already up here I don't have to tell them, Idaho lets you use a 6 ' dredge and most of the big rivers are open to everyone and there are a lot of the smaller creeks that belong to timber companys that will let you dredge, you can get a permit simply by asking and specifying a 500 foot streach of the river that you want to work in, you can get 3 of these for each river, no extra charge but they ask for a picture and map or mile post.

Every spot that is wide enough to park a PU on these narrow MT roads has a dredge runing in it, sounds like a neghiabor hood of lawn mowers. Hunting season starts labor day will make the traffic even worse, I'm pulling out Sunday for NV, had enough of Black flys, ticks, mosquites and NoSeeUms!

Max-

That's a pretty little nugget. :whoopie: Better keep your location a secret though. :hmmmmmm: I expect half the country up there next year. :;):

Steve

Max-

You and Joe are killing me with your adventures and all the gold you're finding!!! :;):

Steve

Steve,

I have been asked about these dredge tailings so I guess I should clarify some points.

First they are as trashy or more so than the deserts old mining sites, the valleys of Grimes Creek and Mores Creek have been mined since 1862 so every thing metal discarded eventuly ended up in the dredge tailings, these dredges went from Mt side to Mt side not just in the actual creek bottoms and they dredged the same areas over and over up until the 20, or 30,s, on upper Grimes Creek alone there's over 27 miles of them.

You will find everything from Mini-Balls to model "T"s, they lived on these dredges and discarded all their trash in to the tails also. This will not bother the true nugget shooter, just means no one has been there before!

Most of them are patented land, the few that are on FS land are off limits to distrubing, there are lots of Beaver ponds. Plenty of good camping spots. Temps this summer have ranged from 90 to 41.

Most of the owners will let you prospect if you will just ask them with respect, I won't post their names but they are not hard to find, I have never been refused and have even had them come spend the day with me and helping,

a few beers or a bottle don't hurt either.

A bucket dredge for those who don't know is a self contained unit, in this case on a wooden barge, steam powered, wide and shallow draft and had living quarters and even familys on board, one of my aquaintences here that owns a square mile of tailings was born on board, his father was the dredge master. You can google and see pics of the dredges around Idaho City and theres one in idaho city being used as a house right along side of 21.

They carried their water with them, damming in the rear and digging in the front ,they had a chain of bucket on a boom that could be lowered up and down.

The barge was a "Spud" barge and had no propulsion, they used steam winches to trees or anchors to move ahead and had a spud in the center of the back to pivot on, the piles are semicicular because they had a conveyer out the back to dump the tailings as they swung the buckets from side to side by pivioting on the spud the buckets fed a trommel and I have been told that the screen size was 1/4", they only wanted the small stuff and didn't want to mess with the extra processing of larger gravel, thats the source of the larger nuggets, the biggest one I have saw found this year was 5 1/2 OZs, Gary from Az at the prospecting shop in Idaho City has one he found in a dredge pile and I beleive its 21 OZs but may be bigger.

Driving up Hiway 21 from East Boise to Idaho City you will start seeing dredge piles as soon as you get out of the narrowest point of the Lava canyon, thats on Mores creek which was one of the biggest producers in ID, they continue up the highway for many miles until it gets too narrow, then they used a "Monitor" to wash the gold down into a huge sluice and hand stacked large boulders, you can't imagine how they did it, some of them a huge!

Grimes Creek intersects Mores Creek before you get to Idaho City and where it was wide enought they dredged and stacked it where it was not, the GPAA has a large area of claims at the intersection of Grimes Creek Rd and Hiway 21, good camping areas and lots of bedrock in the upper claims, highbanking and crevice snipping is very good, even far above the creek on the hillsides. From that point to about 5 miles below Grimes Pass its self there are tailings, both from the dredges and from the side gulches that run everwhere. Alder Creek where Placerville is located also has miles of tailings. The entire membership of the nuggetshooers and RRs could not make a dent in this place, it is not easy!

The area is mostly gravel roads but they are well maintained and it can be acessed from Idaho City from E Boise, ID 55 & 44 from W Boise to Horseshoe Bend via Harris Creek Rd my favorite, or you can continue on ID 55 to Banks and then turn E to Garden Valley and acess it via South Fork bridge and Alder Creek RD, all of these see BIG R/Vs every weekend, they do have blind curves and some steep grades so Mt driving rules should be used.

Do not take Grimes Pass Rd from South Fork Rd which follows the Payette River for about 5 miles, then Grimes Pass Rd takes off up the MT side with more than 360 degree blind curves, over 12% grades, one lane, sheer cliffs and landslides, at the top there is Grimes Monument and a small graveyard, Grimes discoved gold at this point and was killed by indians the same day, there,s some 1862 graves and Vietnam and Korea Vets buried there too.

Sorry I can't post pics from here, my connection takes hoiurs!

Max