Nugget Shooter Forums

Rye Patch

bado1

Hi All!

Are quads neccessary at Rye Patch? I ask due to the hassle vs. rewards factor. In other words, I don't want to haul them for 13 hours if I don't need to. I drive a Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel and I'm not shy about 4 wheelin in it.

Thanks!

Dean

Hi All!

Are quads neccessary at Rye Patch? I ask due to the hassle vs. rewards factor. In other words, I don't want to haul them for 13 hours if I don't need to. I drive a Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel and I'm not shy about 4 wheelin in it.

Thanks!

Dean

No, not really, but it would be wise to have good off road tires on your truck. The trails around are large enough for full size vehicles.

No, not really, but it would be wise to have good off road tires on your truck. The trails around are large enough for full size vehicles.

Thanks bigrex!

I just put new all terrains on last month so I should be good.

Dean

Thanks bigrex!

I just put new all terrains on last month so I should be good.

Dean

bado1,

I was out to Rye Patch in June for detector training, and the site I was at was almost 22 miles from the highway turn off. I had no problems driving the roads in a 2008 Subaru Outback wagon, but I only got up to 35 MPH. The main road (all roads actually) is dirt, and in good shape, and has the occasional large sharp rock. Some trucks passed me at speeds in excess of 60 MPH, and at those speeds even the best and newest tire will get a flat or even blow out. Keep you speeds reasonable and you shouldn't have any problems. Have some plugs and a couple cans of fix a flat as you'll possibly get a flat or two. Even better yet, have a couple of spares, if affordable, to really be safe and be well versed in the art of changing tires. Slow is the key to successful driving at Rye Patch.

h20prospector

It's the tire choice thats key to flat free off road travel. Soft compound street tires even those rated for mud and snow are a poor choice for any off road travel.

I've never had a flat while running BFG ATR's. I log 50% of my miles off road. 70,000 miles on my current set. Been running BFG's since 1974.

There is a good reason why it's the #1 brand for off road racing.

I have spun a few off the wheel tho :)

Oh and common courtesy when overtaking or passing in the opposite direction off road is for both parties to slow down to limit or elimanate dust and flying

stones.

Only a real ass would fly past someone.

...Oh and common courtesy when overtaking or passing in the opposite direction off road is for both parties to slow down to limit or elimanate dust and flying

stones.

Only a real ass would fly past someone.

Oh Lord have mercy! Amen Chris!!! I would need another set of fingers and toes to count the idgits that have flown past me on Stanton Road. Never in the summer mind you, Snowbird greenhorns every one i'm quite sure! :angry-smiley-010: - Terry

:laught16: Have you ever noticed that when someone comes a flyn' by spittn rocks and throwing dust that you always seem to findm' in a ditch a few miles down the road?? And that same anus who flipped ya the bone for going too slow is now begging for help--my my now why did that middle finger on my hand just pop up??? ByBy-- :innocent0002: --John

bado1,

I was out to Rye Patch in June for detector training, and the site I was at was almost 22 miles from the highway turn off. I had no problems driving the roads in a 2008 Subaru Outback wagon, but I only got up to 35 MPH. The main road (all roads actually) is dirt, and in good shape, and has the occasional large sharp rock. Some trucks passed me at speeds in excess of 60 MPH, and at those speeds even the best and newest tire will get a flat or even blow out. Keep you speeds reasonable and you shouldn't have any problems. Have some plugs and a couple cans of fix a flat as you'll possibly get a flat or two. Even better yet, have a couple of spares, if affordable, to really be safe and be well versed in the art of changing tires. Slow is the key to successful driving at Rye Patch.

h20prospector

Thanks Everyone!

I carry plugs with me at all times as I do alot of hunting and have learned the hard way. I've changed many a tire so no problems there. Changing those 33in. ATs on a 3/4 ton is no fun task :no:.

Chris, I've never run the BFGs but it's nice to hear a reliable endorsement for next time. I've had great luck with the Nitto Terra Grapplers for the last five years. I went with 10 ply (load range E) Pathfinders this time as they were running a special on them at Discount and were $500.00 less (for all four) than the Nittos. So, we'll see how these compare.

Thanks again for the input!

Dean