Nugget Shooter Forums

I'm considering getting into meteorite hunting and I don't have any money to spend on a detector... BUT! I have access to this, which I can borrow from work on the weekends. It's designed to locate buried manhole covers. Both manhole covers and meteorites contain iron, no? Would using this be futile? I'm thinking it might work really well because it's specifically sensitive to iron and much less sensitive to other metals.

A Quick positive way to positively answer your own question would be to either borrow or purchase a sample piece of meteorite from the areas you will be hunting and test the detector on them to see if it responds well.

hapy huntn :icon_mrgreen:

I'm considering getting into meteorite hunting and I don't have any money to spend on a detector... BUT! I have access to this, which I can borrow from work on the weekends. It's designed to locate buried manhole covers. Both manhole covers and meteorites contain iron, no? Would using this be futile? I'm thinking it might work really well because it's specifically sensitive to iron and much less sensitive to other metals.

Aloha,

I used to represent a company (metrotech) back in Hawaii just about the same time I got into metal detecting old homesites and can tell you from past experiences that with the machine you describe you will need to be right over the meteorite to detect it. And even then I seriously doubt you will get a strong enough signal like a real metal detector will give you.

Just my :twocents: , so take it for what it is worth. On the other hand you will get a great excersize and have a chance to build up your arms.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Hi Steveo,

First the Schonstedt is not a metal detector, it is a handheld fluxgate magnetometer. It will only respond to iron and steel (ferrous metal). It was designed to find buried pipes, manhole covers, water valves, rebars, and iron survey monuments. It might find an iron meteorite if it's big enough but, it won't have a chance at finding a chondrite. Also, when you take it away from the tame soil of an urban environment, into the heavily mineralized soil of most strewnfields, you'll have to turn the sensitivity way down, to where it will only register huge items, or surface targets. I suggest you get a good used gold-type detector. Even better if it has some form of iron ID. Check it out.

Good Luck, Ben

Thanks, everyone. I figured it was a long shot but I thought I would ask anyway. Since I live in an urban area on the east coast I'm probably better off getting a traditional metal detector and finding lost coins and jewelry. Metal detecting on state lands in Maryland is illegal so I'd have a hard time finding large, open spaces to search anywho. I plan to move to the Denver area within the next 5 years, so maybe I can revisit this idea then :)

Hi Steveo,

If I we're you, I'd be asking farmers for permission to hunt their private land. The worst they can say is no. So what? You haven't lost a thing. Move on to the next property owner. I think you'll find that you're going to get permission to hunt more times than you think, and more acreage than is possible to cover. Screw the State of Maryland, there's lots of places to legally hunt.

Good Hunting, Ben