39 members have voted

1. 1. Which Metal Detector?

• Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
    • White's Goldmaster GMT
    • White's MXT Tracker
    • Fisher Gold Bug 2
    • Minelab X-Terra 705
    • Other Detector - Please Post Your Recommendation

I have never used a metal detector before, but I have decided to buy one since I'm always up in the mountains here in Coloardo fishing along rivers, streams. I think it would be fun to get a metal detector and walk along the streams/rivers to see if I can find anything. I know they take awhile to learn, but I'm willing to spend time in doing that.

I spent a few hours searching on google, and one of the best links I found was one that compared most of the gold metal detectors out,

http://www.bigvalleymetaldetectors.com/bestgold.htm

I was planning on buying a Garrett Gold Scorpion because of the price, but after searching on this forum, it seems like everybody hates it. So now I'm thinking about either the White's Goldmaster GMT or the Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq. It all comes down to price right now for me, which one I can find cheaper on eBay.

What would you guys recommend?

It seems like the Lobo SuperTraq is well liked so I'm kind of leaning on that right now.

I have never used a metal detector before, but I have decided to buy one since I'm always up in the mountains here in Coloardo fishing along rivers, streams. I think it would be fun to get a metal detector and walk along the streams/rivers to see if I can find anything. I know they take awhile to learn, but I'm willing to spend time in doing that.

I spent a few hours searching on google, and one of the best links I found was one that compared most of the gold metal detectors out,

http://www.bigvalleymetaldetectors.com/bestgold.htm

I was planning on buying a Garrett Gold Scorpion because of the price, but after searching on this forum, it seems like everybody hates it. So now I'm thinking about either the White's Goldmaster GMT or the Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq. It all comes down to price right now for me, which one I can find cheaper on eBay.

What would you guys recommend?

It seems like the Lobo SuperTraq is well liked so I'm kind of leaning on that right now.

My :twocents: If price is your most important factor, then yes, the Tesoro Super Lobo Traq is a BEST BUY! If you want to spend $50-$70-more, get the Goldmaster. Good luck and Big Nuggets! - Terry

My :twocents: If price is your most important factor, then yes, the Tesoro Super Lobo Traq is a BEST BUY! If you want to spend $50-$70-more, get the Goldmaster. Good luck and Big Nuggets! - Terry

What do u personally use? Also, what would be the easiest to use? I want a gold detector that is easy to keep ground balanced and one that will not be driven crazy by hot rocks.

What do u personally use? Also, what would be the easiest to use? I want a gold detector that is easy to keep ground balanced and one that will not be driven crazy by hot rocks.

Aloha,

Then get a GMT as it has the auto tuning capability and is very easy to learn. Just my :twocents: but then I am prejudiced as I own a GMT and wont use any other machine. :innocent0009:

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Personally? I use both! Either one is a good choice. In all honesty, I believe both are equal and both find GOLD! - Terry

Gigahertz21

I agree with Grubstake. The Lobo ST is very easy to learn and you won't be sorry if you buy it.

Have found numerious nuggets with mine. My :twocents: AZ

post-210-1250466552_thumb.jpgpost-210-1250466540_thumb.jpgpost-210-1250466574_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for the replies so far. I'd love to hear more recommendations from anybody else, I searched on eBay for "Goldmaster GMT" and only had 1 search result, whereas "Tesoro Lobo" gets a bunch of results. So the Lobo is what I will probably end up with unless I find a good deal on a Goldmaster GMT or something else that is recommended.

Also, in another forum I read Whites just came out with a new GMZ, called a GMT but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles and is priced at $499. Apparently Whites doesn't even have it listed on their website yet.....but I don't think I'm going to wait. I would rather buy one that has been out awhile and is tested and used, and recommended by people like you guys on this forum then take a chance with a new model.

What about Fisher Gold Bug 2, worse/better/same as Lobo and Goldmaster GMT?

The Tesoro LST and the Whites GMT are the same money. as far as gold is they will both find the same, for ease of use the LST is the more user friendly and the control box comes off the shaft for belt or chest mount while the GMT is hard wired to the shaft. The LST is also a great coin and relic machine for checking out those old cabin sites The Whites GMZ is out now and is designed for the budget minded person with out all the bells and whistles and uses all the same coils as the GMT. It would be a great machine for someone that might want to use it occasionaly for gold but will find what the GMT will.

I have used the GMT and LST and will have a GMZ in the store tomorrow to check out. What ever you get the main thing is to learn the machine because I would say that success is 70% operator and 30% machine.

Allen in MT

Here is some really good information I came across, somebody on another forum sent me this, basically says the MXT is better for all around use whereas the GMT is 100% pure nugget detector? True?

The guide this person sent me in my e-mail was just great, covers all the good gold detectors I've read about. I'll post it below as an attachment as well as copy and paste below some of the opinions he has. Do you guys agree with most of "Steves" opinions?

The text below is copied and pasted from the attachment I posted (The font is small so this post is not so huge, if you want bigger text download the attachment):

Tesoro Lobo Super TRAQ:

Steve's Opinion - Until recently, the Lobo was the hands down winner in the versatility department. It is a very good nugget detector in a light weight package, combined with a basic but very capable coin detecting circuit. The discrimination mode is intended for coin detecting, but doubles as a good iron id nugget hunting mode, as long as the discrimination is not set too high (1.5-2). Newer detectors, like the White's MXT below, are now offering a very significant challenge to the Lobo, but it still wins points with me for its light, convertible design. The Lobo is one of few detectors left that can be hip or chest mounted and it has a superb selection of accessory coils. All in all the Lobo is an excellent and versatile nugget detector.

White’s MXT Tracker:

Steve's Opinion - One of my favorite all-around detectors! The MXT is a great choice for someone wanting both excellent nugget hunting capability combined with a discrimination system to rival the very best detectors available. The LCD readout is similar to that on many coin detectors, but very rare among detectors with serious nugget detecting capability. You get full target id and depth readings, ground phase, battery strength, and more. The coil selection is truly exceptional. The MXT is getting rave reviews from coin, jewelry, and relic hunters, and is a serious contender in the nugget detecting arena. It has proven to be a particularly effective machine at Ganes Creek, Alaska, with many pounds of gold found. The MXT is not quite as sensitive to small gold as the White's GMT, but it may actually be a better choice for those hunting larger gold nuggets.

White’s Goldmaster GMT:

Steve's Opinion - Currently the best-selling nugget detector in Alaska. The GMT features both automatic or fully adjustable manual ground balance, your choice and a real plus on the GMT. One of the most common problems people have with detectors is in getting the ground balance right. There are also areas where wildly varying ground mineralization makes constant manual retuning a chore. The automatic ground balance on the GMT lets a beginner get up and running quickly. It offers the pro the ability to deal with rapidly varying ground. And yet for those times when you need manual ground balance to really tweak the detector, the GMT has it also. The GMT always tracks the ground conditions, even when in manual mode, and so while in manual adjusting the ground balance can be as simple as hitting the "Grab" button. The LCD based "iron probability" readout offers more subtle iron discrimination than the all or nothing audio id on other units. The GMT rivals the Gold Bug 2 on small gold, and clearly outperforms it for depth on larger gold in highly mineralized ground. If you are looking for a combination of excellent small gold capability combined with good depth on larger gold plus ease of operation the GMT is an excellent choice. It is the best selling nugget detector in Alaska for these reasons.

Fisher Gold Bug 2:

Steve's Opinion - The Gold Bug 2 has been a popular detector in the past for Anchorage area detecting. It has extreme sensitivity to small gold, a real plus on the Kenai Peninsula. I also feel it has the best physical design of any nugget detector on the market. Lightweight, tough, and convertible from rod mount to chest or hip mount. It's main drawback is that it gets poor depth on larger gold in mineralized ground. It is also a harder for beginners to learn than newer units with automatic ground balance. The Gold Bug 2 has a particularly effective "Iron ID" mode that not only rejects iron targets but many iron hot rocks.

1. White's GMT - 100% nugget detector, with only the rarest of applications for other types of detecting. For someone that wants to use the detector for nothing more than prospecting. Best sensitivity to small gold nuggets.

2. White's MXT - 60% coin, relic, and jewelry detector and 40% nugget detector. For the person who will mostly be looking for coins, relics, jewelry, etc. but who also will spend quite a bit of time using the detector to look for gold nuggets. Sacrifices some small gold sensitivity compared to the GMT in order to be a better all-around unit.

Steve__s_Gold_Detector_Opinions.pdf

You can't go wrong with either the Lobo or the GMT both companies will stand behind their products. If your looking for a multi purpose detector

you may want to consider a Minelab X-TERRA 70.

Good Luck

Yes, somebody in another forum mentioned the Minelab X-Terra 705. The one thing I saw is that it comes with a 7.5khz round 9" coil, and in the PDF file I posted a few posts back, Steve said, "People will tend to use the 18.75 kHz coils for gold." So I guess that means after buying the unit, you'll have to turn around and buy a $130 18.75 kHz coil for the X-Terra....ouch.

GH21,

I'm new to detecting as well but I have had the opportunity to put a few trips and numerous hours on a GMT due to the generosity of a fellow forum member. Prior to that I had rented a LoboST and put a day on it.

My observations :

Both very user friendly. Both easy to learn.

Both find the really small stuff

The GMT has a ID meter that tells you the probability of a ferrous target. Very accurate. If you are in a trashy area and not in to digging all targets its a huge advantge.

GMT is good on coins and meteorites. The Lobo may be as well. I don't know.

I've put quite a few hours on the GMT and love it. I will buy one sooner or later.

Just a newbies perspective. Good luck!

Dean

Well everybody, I just bought one off e-Bay, I ended up going with a used Minelab X-Terra 705 for $420 shipped that was listed as having under 20 hours of use.

It was listed at $500, but I used the Bing Microsoft cashback promotion through eBay, which is currently at 14%, and saved $70. Then I'm also in the eBay Bucks program and that saved me $10. So I think I got a pretty good deal, the seller has 180 feedback at 100% positive, and has sold several high priced items including a car so I'm not worried about receiving a junk unit.

I was looking at several Tesoro Lobo's but then I figured I would go for a more all around unit, and went with the X-Terra 705.

Now it's on to the accessories, so far on my list is to buy a pair of the DetectorPRO "Black Widow" headphones and the Garrett professional pinpointer. Other people also mentioned buying a strong magnet, so I'll take a look around for one of those. Eventually I'll probably have to buy a 18.75kHz coil for the X-Terra in order to search for gold better, but I can't be dropping a ton of money on everything at once. What other accessories would you guys suggest?

Thanks all for your replies in this thread and the PM's I have received, I have learned alot in the last 2 days. :D

My suggestion for you is now when you receive your detector take as much time as you can afford to use it.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to become familiar with the detectors reactions and sounds in all types of situations.

The more frequently and consistently you use it the faster you will become "one" with it and begin to understand what it is telling you.

Get a long handled plastic scoop to keep in your back pocket for recovering targets and pinpointing them over the coil.

Good luck and Hapy Huntn.

Could an admin delete the PDF file I posted a few posts up and any of the information I pasted from the PDF file, for some reason I do not see any option to edit my previous posts and delete the information off so a admin will have to do it.

This same thread is over at the "nugget hunting" forums but I was able to edit my posts there and delete the information, but I cannot here.

http://www.nuggethunting.com/forums/index....e=show&st=0

The author of the PDF file would like any informaton copied out of the PDF file to be removed as he made that request in the above link I posted.

No one here mentioned the Minelab Eureka Gold! Is it considered a good detector too? I just started using it and havent found any gold yet in the gold fields of the california desert.

Richard,

The Uureka is a very good gold machine. It will take time to get use to your machine and once you start finding bullets and shells the gold will come.

OL'29er :coffeetime:

Gigahertz,

Just one suggestion,

I don't know what what your priority is as far as accessories but if you plan to mainly hunt gold I would definitely get the 18 Khz coil first as it's basically a coin machine without it. Not that you can't find gold but you're less likely to find small gold which is most prevalant size. You'll need a real good pic too and if it has a magnet attached all the better. The Black widows are great but the sun ray pro's are very good as well. Good luck and happy huntin,

Terry

Gigahertz,

Just one suggestion,

I don't know what what your priority is as far as accessories but if you plan to mainly hunt gold I would definitely get the 18 Khz coil first as it's basically a coin machine without it. Not that you can't find gold but you're less likely to find small gold which is most prevalant size. You'll need a real good pic too and if it has a magnet attached all the better. The Black widows are great but the sun ray pro's are very good as well. Good luck and happy huntin,

Terry

Really! I need a 18Khz coil too. I am going to call Minelab and ask them what they think. I can say, that after spending 5 full days in the randsburg to ridgecrest area in california that there is no coarse gold left after 150 years of mining. LOL. There is at least one bullet or bullet shell every square 6 feet. There had to have been a civil war there!! I am also finding bullets that are not smashed and are totally intact and figured out that people are shooting their guns up into the air and these bullets are coming down gently enough not to smash! I think I am going to start wearing a hardhat while out in that area metal detecting!!

Where are all the GB2 guys?

I'm a little suprised by the poll numbers with the GB2 coming in a very distant 3rd. I've never used one but I seem to hear and read alot of good things about them. I don't hear too much about the LoboST. I know the LoboST has a dedicated following but I was very suprised that it beat out the GB2 by so much. Is the LoboST really favored by so much?

Where are all the GB2 guys?

I'm a little suprised by the poll numbers with the GB2 coming in a very distant 3rd. I've never used one but I seem to hear and read alot of good things about them. I don't hear too much about the LoboST. I know the LoboST has a dedicated following but I was very suprised that it beat out the GB2 by so much. Is the LoboST really favored by so much?

I'm a GB2 beeper, and here in Colorado and Nevada it does just fine; small, but none the less it finds gold. Haven't made it to California, so I don't know how well it will do there. When I was down to Stanton in April 2007, it didn't perform well at all. The ground was too mineralized, so I took up dry washing and used the GB2 to check out the tailings and cobble piles; it did just fine. Since that trip to AZ, I got a Minelab SD2200V2, but will never get rid of the GB2. I feel I have the best of both world as far as detectors go. A VLF and PI, but that's only my :twocents: